GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure could use some help with this.

I bought an autocom Super Pro AVI and have a head set to hook up a passenger as well.

I have a ZUMO.
I have an IPOD 4GB nano

I want to be able to talk to my friend on her bike. I was looking at getting the Kenwood transceiver (either the XL or XLS).

Questions:

1. If I buy the Kenwood XL - how do I mount it to my bike - it doesnt look like it comes with a little frame thing or anything. Does anyone have a picture handy with one on their bike? I have a VTX1300 btw but just want to see how it is mounted.

2. For my friend - can she just get a kenwood transciever and a head set and we talk back and forth? She rides a sport bike and will not buy an autocom. I just want to be able to talk to her - so what kind of set up would accomplish this.

I look forward to your advice.
Lee

·
Registered
141 Posts
Lee, Happy new year.
I ride with a small group and we've equipped ourselves with Kenwood TK3101 tranceivers. The reason for using this particular model being that they are rugged, water resistant and most importantly comparatively cheap and plentiful on eBay. We have mounted them on RAM mounts on the front brake lever clamp and use them via our Autocoms. Autocom do a push to talk switch which tie-wraps to the left hand grip. This arrangement works well. You aften find ,again on eBay, larger capacity batteries for the Kenwood.
As for a rider without an Autocom, I'm sure I've seen a mic and headset kit fot this particular tranceiver. However, she would have to solve the problem of push to talk, but that would depend on where she positioned her tranceiver.
In my opinion the Kenwood/Autocom combination rocks. Just be careful when ordering Autocom leads etc. The part numbers can be a nightmare. Don't ask me how I know.
If you need more info just ask. Oh! btw, the screw holes on the circular RAM mount match up exactly with the belt clip holes on the Kenwood, making the mounting a snap.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I use an Autocom Active Plus along with a Zumo and a Kenwood TK-3101. If you want to see how I set mine up with everything under the seat except the Zumo you can see it in some detail here:

http://goldwingusa.com/autocom

My wife Jeannette has an Autocom and a Kenwood TK-3101 on her bike too so I can play around with two units. We think that they are fantastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies and the great pics uneasy rider. So, I am thinking the Kenwood XL's for both of us and for her can she get mount the kenwood somewhere out of the way and then have a ppt button so she can talk - like with the kenwood speakers and ppt button? Ideas?

Lee

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
The other rider will need an Autocom on her bike if you really want to be able to use the radios at any speed above about 50mph. Without the Autocom, her mic won't have any wind noise filtration and all her transmissions to you will be filled with wind noise and you won't be able to understand what she is saying.

Been there, tried it that way, didn't work worth a hoot. If you want bike-to-bike comunication, BOTH bikes need a good intercom system that filters the wind noise out.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Fred H. said:
If you want bike-to-bike comunication, BOTH bikes need a good intercom system that filters the wind noise out.
Do you think this the case with a full face helmet as well? I don't know that much about the autocom systems but this thread caught my attention because I've got to figure out a way to get bike to bike now that the wife is on her own bike. I ride an 1800 and she's on a Honda Spirit 750.
I see that the Autocom system comes with it's own headset and speakers. How do they compare in quality to something like EdSets and is the plug on the headsets the same as the standard 1800 GW plug?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
WNGNUT said:
Fred H. said:
If you want bike-to-bike comunication, BOTH bikes need a good intercom system that filters the wind noise out.
Do you think this the case with a full face helmet as well? I don't know that much about the autocom systems but this thread caught my attention because I've got to figure out a way to get bike to bike now that the wife is on her own bike. I ride an 1800 and she's on a Honda Spirit 750.
I see that the Autocom system comes with it's own headset and speakers. How do they compare in quality to something like EdSets and is the plug on the headsets the same as the standard 1800 GW plug?
The Autocom headsets are excellent for voice and music compared to the Chatterbox that I used on the wing. The install is much cleaner too. The auto vox system is quieter than the constant wind noise on the 1800 as it shuts off when not in use.

When it comes to full face helmet I think that you will have much more noise than open face. It is a lower frequency noise that comes from the neck area. It seems to depend on the bike, helmet and head though. As for me full face roars and I need ear plugs, and I have tried several helmets, maybe it's my bald head...

The Autocom headsets are not 1800 compatible though they do make an adapter that is on their website.

I think that you and your wife would be happy if she got an Autocom, Jeannette and I rode for a few hours yesterday with ours and it worked great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts