GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe some of you fine people can help me out. I have a 08 that will not start with the bike in gear. turn the bike on in gear put the side stand up and pull in the clutch nothing. if you put it in neutral it starts fine. I have never noticed this before. and i was letting some one sit on the bike and we noticed this today. checked the side stand switch it looks ok. not sure where to start. thanks for any help. steve/6-pak.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds like an issue with the switch in the clutch lever since you said that you checked the side stand switch.

Did you recently change the levers or adjusted the dial on it? I know that you have to hold the lever in quite a bit to start the GW.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
As Angelo said, if you changed to chrome levers, many of them will not make the micro switch properly. Also some grips will not allow you to pull the lever in far enough. If you still have the original levers and grips, take it in for warranty repair, it's covered.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Reading this post I just realized that my levers are chrome. I bought my 06 used and never gave it any thought that the levers were after market. Mine will only start in neutral and the clutch will not cancel the cruise control. Neither seems to be an issue to me but I was wondering about it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
bike won't start in gear

Had the same problem with my 06. Took it to the dealer and the mech. fooled around with the micro switch on the clutch an finally got it to work. The next time it happened I sprayed some contact cleaner around the switch which fixed it instantly. Haven't had a problem since. Gene

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
It's the microswitch for the clutch lever. Can you hear it click as you pull in or release the lever? You should be able to hear it click just like the one on your front brake lever.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,219 Posts
If you pull the lever slowly, you should hear 2 clicks. One is the cruise cancel switch and the other is the interlock switch. If the bushing is worn it will cause this issue as well.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I've noticed that if I have mine in gear, turn the key on, pull in the clutch lever, and hit the starter, it will not start.

If I let the lever out and pull it again, bingo.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
It is the upper clutch switch. For sure.

On the clutch side you have two micro switches, an upper one and one just below . The upper switch is in the safety loop. It is this one that causes the bike to not start when in gear and start if in neutral.

You can hear it click all you want, it is simply a defective switch. I have changed out several of them that you could hear click and would read a certain amount of continuity though them when tested but not a positive reading to infinity.

The switch is like 12 bucks at any dealer or you can order it from any OEM parts store, takes about ten minutes to replace, has only one screw in it and the two wires that slip on the tangs.

Change the upper switch and it will solve the situation.

Kit

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks you all, i goter done.

Well as per the advice from you fine people. i went out and played with the clutch lever adjustment and that cured the problem. I had the lever on the number 1 setting and i did change that last fall, right at the end of the season here in ohio. If i change it to 3 or above it works fine. i did put the kuryakyn grips on. anyway thank you all for the help 6-pak.

·
Registered
135 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind. Parked my Shadow in front of a leather shop. Some Harley idiot decided to pull the wire from the clutch switch loose then barely put it back so it looked plugged up. It would only start in neutral til I figured it out.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
One other thing to keep in mind. Parked my Shadow in front of a leather shop. Some Harley idiot decided to pull the wire from the clutch switch loose then barely put it back so it looked plugged up. It would only start in neutral til I figured it out.
Maybe it wasn't the Harley guy. You know what they say, 'stuff happens'.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
I seem to remember that if you enlarged the screw hole(s) in the switch on the Valkyrie, you could move it enough to use chrome levers from the 1500 wing. If you really need the #1 setting for medical reasons, you can try that so the switch will be marginally adjustable. I have not tried this on the gl1800 tho.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
my clutch switch has done the same thing

have had good results by just removing the screw and spraying some lube into the switch but after a few weeks it starts sticking again, since its under warranty i really should just get a new switch

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
If you pull the lever slowly, you should hear 2 clicks. One is the cruise cancel switch and the other is the interlock switch. If the bushing is worn it will cause this issue as well.
+

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Same problem here.

Mine started this behavior at a Cracker Barrel along I-75 north of Knoxville, TN last summer.

Guess I better get that little switch on order.

·
Registered
98 Posts
OK I'll bite, what do the numbers mean. I thought it was for size of your hand. I wish it was to adjust the amount of pressure to pull. Mine are set on 4 but I don't know why.
Mike

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
It just moves the lever in or out from the grip to compensate for different hand sizes. On some bikes a #1 setting will also no longer make the micro switches, in that case the switches need to be adjusted because they should work on all settings.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts