GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 with just over six thousand miles. Approximately two times out of ten, when I shut the bike off the engine stops but there is a chime sound and the dash lights are still on. If I turn it off again, then everything goes off. I talked with the service department at my Honda shop and he assured me that it shouldn't be doing that, but he didn't know why it happens. The only suggestion he had was to see if it continued to get worse. He thought maybe the ignition switch was going bad. I was wondering if any of you have noticed this problem and if you know the cause/solution. As soon as this Corona situation is more under control I am planning a trip from Indiana to Colorado, and I don't want trouble on the road if I can help it.
Thanks!
Jerry C

·
Registered
376 Posts
Do a video so you can show the dealer in case they can't reproduce the problem.
( take a video each time you shut the bike )

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have experienced that too. I assumed it was because I turned the knob too quickly and not holding it in the off position long enough. I plan to experiment with it now to see it is an electronic issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have experienced that too. I assumed it was because I turned the knob too quickly and not holding it in the off position long enough. I plan to experiment with it now to see it is an electronic issue.
I thought that I was maybe shutting it off to quickly so I deliberately shut it off slowly and I have had the same result.

·
Vendor
21,569 Posts
Check your FOB and make sure it is in range and has good batteries in it. Two things will prevent the bike from fully shutting down when you turn the ignition off. One is if the rear wheel is still turning, and the second is if the bike does not detect the signal from the FOB.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Seem like everyone has this problem when they first get this bike. I did. Have to make sure bike is not moving at all before shutting off.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have never had a problem shutting down my bike. I always wait for the Goldwing icon to show.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Mine does the same thing because I often put it on the center stand before shutting it down. Almost every time it refuses to turn off all the way when I do this.If I simply turn the knob again, it all turns off. This drove me insane at first especially considering I was having issues turning it on at all sometimes. Turns out I had an extremely bad battery that only manifested itself occasionally. The battery was replaced under warranty and it stopped acting goofy. Also, at this time I became convinced the shut-down issue was simply expected behavior and not related, in my case, to the other odd behaviors.

·
Registered
144 Posts
For the people who have this problem: Are you trying to turn the ignition dial while the engine is running?

I've never had this problem, but I use the "kill switch" on the right handlebar, so my engine isn't running, and therefore my rear wheel won't be spinning.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The only times I have experienced this is if the bike is still moving when I turn the switch. Even a little tire motion will keep the Electronics on.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have done this twice in my year of ownership which resulted in a need for a jump assist.
Assure that the bike is not rolling in the least .
This has fixed it for me. I just take an extra second to make sure that all is turned off.

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
With the DCT you can demonstrate to your self about the situation Fred described as his first reason. Put bike on center stand in "N" and turn the knob off. The headlamps some other circuits will still be on. You can force a total off by turning the knob again to the "LOCK" position. The slight viscous coupling of the drive train causes the rear wheel to rotate slowly and that prevents loss of headlamps and such. Thus your headlamps stay on if you run out of gas. Do the demonstration again, this time with the park brake used to stop the rear wheel before you turn the motor off, the whole system will go off. I have not tried the case where one would turn the motor off with a missing or off FOB.

prs

·
Registered
18,687 Posts
If your bike is on the center stand take it off & use the side stand. The rear wheel may be turning.

Put fresh batteries in the Key FOB

When turning off turn the middle switch twice to the left

If you still have this problem--see your dealer-WARRANTY

·
Registered
199 Posts
My shutdown procedure is similar to KYLEBR's, 1. I come to a complete stop. 2. I shift trans into neutral (DCT). 3. Lower kickstand 4. I stop engine with stop (kill) switch. 5. Turn off ignition switch. If I'm putting it on the center stand, it will be done after 1-5 is complete.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My shutdown procedure is similar to KYLEBR's, 1. I come to a complete stop. 2. I shift trans into neutral (DCT). 3. Lower kickstand 4. I stop engine with stop (kill) switch. 5. Turn off ignition switch. If I'm putting it on the center stand, it will be done after 1-5 is complete.
I am lowering the kickstand always before getting off the bike. The engine turns off automatically. Then I am turning ignition off. Once I am on the side, I am lifting bike on center stands. Never have a problem ...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am lowering the kickstand always before getting off the bike. The engine turns off automatically. Then I am turning ignition off. Once I am on the side, I am lifting bike on center stands. Never have a problem ...
The reason I go to neutral first, before shutting down, is that it stuck in drive a couple times when dropping the kickstand while it was running.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts