GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came home from work and pulled into the garage as normal. When I turned off the key my after market gps started to shut down but the bike kept running and the lights stay on. I tried several times and can't get the thing to shut down with the key. I can stop the bike by putting the kick stand down with the bike in gear or it will shut down with the kill switch but the lights stay on. I need some ideas guys. Where do I look next?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
I came home from work and pulled into the garage as normal. When I turned off the key my after market gps started to shut down but the bike kept running and the lights stay on. I tried several times and can't get the thing to shut down with the key. I can stop the bike by putting the kick stand down with the bike in gear or it will shut down with the kill switch but the lights stay on. I need some ideas guys. Where do I look next?
Are your high beams on? Turn them off and see if everything dies.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi beams

Are your high beams on? Turn them off and see if everything dies.
Yes, Techdude. they were on. And when I turned them off and put the main fuse back in everything seems okay for now.

·
Vendor
21,950 Posts
I suspect you have a bad ground connection in the C8 locator behind the left glove box. Lewis ran into a bike recently that had the same problem. Go read over this thread. I suspect next time you shut the bike off with the high beams on, the problem will return. You'll probably need to jumper a wire around the bad connector for the ground lead.

gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?652729-Bike-continues-to-run-with-key-removed

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I was waiting for a reply I pulled fuse 2 to shut the bike and lights off. Now when I put everything back as it was the bike shuts off normally with the headlights on high beam.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
Yes, Techdude. they were on. And when I turned them off and put the main fuse back in everything seems okay for now.
Ok, this has been seen at least twice before. Once, awhile back and once just recently by Fred and Lewis at EC. You need to get under the left fairing pocket and pull the three connectors in the white frame part and look for corrosion on the green ground wires running through them. Rain can drip on these from the upper vent and damage the connectors. I see Fred beat me to it.:thumbup:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys are awesome. I don't have time to work on it now, but I'm off tomorrow and will tackle it first thing in the morning. I gotta get it fixed because I have tickets to put it on the auto-train Saturday morning and plan on a week of mountain riding next week.
I'll keep you posted on my progress tomorrow.
Thanks again.
FRW

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
If your connectors are clean and corrosion free, you have an issue with the same ground circuit but it will be up in the fairing harness behind the gauges. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's at the connectors, because no one likes to pull the gauges on an 01-05.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
Was Lewis sure he had C8? The ground for the high beam indicator and some of the other things in the gauges is running through C7. An issue with either one will probably cause some strange issues.

·
Vendor
21,950 Posts
Was Lewis sure he had C8? The ground for the high beam indicator and some of the other things in the gauges is running through C7. An issue with either one will probably cause some strange issues.
He said it was a grey connector, and it had the same wires in it that go up to the handlebar for the hi/low switch, so I assume it was C8. However, this was on an 05 and I think the 01/02 may have some wire differences in this area. I can't say for certain cause I never saw the bike myself.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike will not shut off with key.

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread but I just didn't have the time necessary to tear into it prior to my trip to ride the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I got home yesterday and today I went to the local Honda dealer and was surprised to find out they had an air filter in stock for an 1800. I really didn't want to take the top shelter off without having a new air filter on hand to put in while in there.
Anyhow, E T Rider came over to help. By the time he got here I had the oil changed and the seat, top shelter and dash panel off.
I have also recently developed a problem with the left low beam headlight. I found by removing the headlight modulator that issue went away. When installing the modulator several years ago I had some of the wiring for the modulator routed incorrectly causing the wiring to be stretched when turning hard.
After changing the air filter we turned to the connectors under the left air duct that have been known to have a bad ground due to corrosion. We took them all apart and didn't really find anything that looked like it was corroded or had been hot at any time.
Now, back to the modulator. Some of the wires for it had been pinched and insulation broken through. It looked like maybe some arcing had taken place on those wires. One of the wires with damaged insulation was a ground wire and I'm not sure what the other one was. Is it possible this was the cause of the bike not shutting off?
As of right now, the bike starts normally. The headlights all work correctly and the bike shuts off whether on low or high beam headlights.
Once again a great big thanks to all on this site that help diagnose issues such as this and also to E T Rider for his help.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,279 Posts
Sorry for the delay in updating this thread but I just didn't have the time necessary to tear into it prior to my trip to ride the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I got home yesterday and today I went to the local Honda dealer and was surprised to find out they had an air filter in stock for an 1800. I really didn't want to take the top shelter off without having a new air filter on hand to put in while in there.
Anyhow, E T Rider came over to help. By the time he got here I had the oil changed and the seat, top shelter and dash panel off.
I have also recently developed a problem with the left low beam headlight. I found by removing the headlight modulator that issue went away. When installing the modulator several years ago I had some of the wiring for the modulator routed incorrectly causing the wiring to be stretched when turning hard.
After changing the air filter we turned to the connectors under the left air duct that have been known to have a bad ground due to corrosion. We took them all apart and didn't really find anything that looked like it was corroded or had been hot at any time.
Now, back to the modulator. Some of the wires for it had been pinched and insulation broken through. It looked like maybe some arcing had taken place on those wires. One of the wires with damaged insulation was a ground wire and I'm not sure what the other one was. Is it possible this was the cause of the bike not shutting off?
As of right now, the bike starts normally. The headlights all work correctly and the bike shuts off whether on low or high beam headlights.
Once again a great big thanks to all on this site that help diagnose issues such as this and also to E T Rider for his help.
If the naked ground wire was coming into contact with a naked power wire, then it definitely could cause this issue, by power floating on both sides of the circuit.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My issue with the headlights staying on after the bike is shut off has returned. Here's what has been done so far.

1. Headlight modulator with bad wiring has been removed.
2. Left pocket has been removed and ground wires and connectors in C8 inspected and nothing found.
3. I have put several thousand miles on it since the last incident with no known problem until two days ago.
4. I forgot to mention this is an 05 gl1800 with just over 102,000 miles on it.

I now have the fairing ready to pull off so I can remove the meter panel and inspect it for a bad ground. My question is exactly where am I to look for this problem?

Thanks in advance

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
Another Wing that I know of had to completely remove the head light modules for his Wing to turn off, and for his head lamps to work correctly. It appears his issues were caused by a shorted module. I believe he went back to H7 bulbs.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info Greg. I'm still running the H-7 bulbs in mine.

·
Vendor
17,531 Posts
Thanks for the info Greg. I'm still running the H-7 bulbs in mine.
I think the Wing I'm referring to had HID's, and it was those modules that were causing him a problem. What modules do you have hooked up to H7 ??? The ones that make the bulbs flash in day light ???

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What modules do you have hooked up to H7 ??? The ones that make the bulbs flash in day light ???
The headlight modulator was removed in an effort to resolve this issue. That did not help. The headlights are now stock.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts