GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came home from work this morning with bike running normally. Put it in garage and went to start it this afternoon. Turns over strongly but won't fire. Seems like it's not getting fuel but not sure. 2001 model. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Check battery... How low is voltage while starter is engaged?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,466 Posts
Crank the engine for 10 seconds and see if the FI light will flash a code. If it does, count the flashes...long and shorts.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Ckp

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Crankshaft Position Sensor. Shuts the bike down, injectors will not fire and so on.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,466 Posts
Are you sure you counted 9 short and not 8 short. If it is 8 then it's the camshaft sensor and that has been reported before. If it is a 9 for sure then you have one of 3 things wrong. The crankshaft position sensor has died, or the connections to it are bad, or the ECM has crapped itself. I'll see if I can find you a picture of it. The crank sensor doesn't fail very often. Was this bulletin performed on it?
http://www.ridersrally.com/sb/sb03.pdf

Here you go:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To my knowledge no bulletins have been performed. Bought used. Definitely 19 on the code.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,466 Posts
OK, if you look at that service bulletin, check to see if your VIN is in the range and it shows you where the engine block should have been punched with a dimple if it was done. If it does fall into the VIN range and the punch mark isn't there, then this could be a possibly cause of the crank sensor failure code.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looked up code and 19 talks about a faulty ignition pulse generator or connection to it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely no punch. Call me retarded but not sure about VIN# being in range. Think it's outside of range. It's sc47e-2003384

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,466 Posts
That's the engine number, what is the frame number under the key switch on the left side. Does it have ABS or is it the standard 01?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts