GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little help please! I'm having my first real problem with my bike. I have a 2008 airbag model that when I turn on the key it doesn't go thru the diagnostic run and the FI light never comes on. I have swapped relays and checked fuses but still nothing. Ideas???
Thanks
Jerry Adams

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some more info about bike...
105,000 miles
Battery full charge
Xmission in neutral
Reverse switch not engaged (I can hear it engage & disengage when pressed on & off)

Reiterating...when the key is turned on the FI light does not come on and the bike does not go thru the normal diagnostic run for a few seconds followed by the FI light going out. It never gets to the point where when you push the start switch the engine cranks...just nothing.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I know you said battery is fully charged but put a volt meter on the battery when you are cranking it over, anything less than about 10 volts or so replace battery.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Check your emergency stop switch on the right handlebar. If the switch is not in "run", the FI light will not come on, nor will you hear the fuel pump cycle. It is possible for the switch to look to be in the run position but have a dirty contact. With the key off, cycle the switch several times then turn the key on and try starting it.

Let us know the results.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check your emergency stop switch on the right handlebar. If the switch is not in "run", the FI light will not come on, nor will you hear the fuel pump cycle. It is possible for the switch to look to be in the run position but have a dirty contact. With the key off, cycle the switch several times then turn the key on and try starting it.

Let us know the results.
Well holy %$&#!!!...figures the only thing I didn't even think to check (and it's bitten me before, too).
Anyway, that was it! I probably bumped last time I got off the bike.
Thank you for everyone's help/input.
Embarrassingly yours,
Jerry

·
Registered
131 Posts
No embarrassment. I did it 600 miles from home on start of the 2nd day of across country trip. I wiped the dew off the windshield and mirrors in the morning and inadvertently turned off the stop switch. since I never use the switch, i didn't even think about it. A half hour of troubleshooting and going thru my inventory of colorful words, i found it. i think there is a fuse for it that gave me the clue. i guess ultimately, we got a cheap lesson.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Did the same thing at a gas station, hung my helmet on the right grip and bumped the switch. Went to start and nothing. Sat there a second gathered my thoughts. Rode away shaking my head. Now when it doesn’t start that’s the first thing I check. I did it again!!!

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
You know what! I'm glad that you posted your situation, I'll bet that you have (or will) save many of us, that will have the same situation................

last summer I was riding and pulled into a gas station to get fuel, and there was a group of folks all huddled around a Goldwing, as i was walking past them, I nodded to say hello, and they asked me if I knew anything about wings, I answered "WHAT'S THE PROBLEM??" They said won't start!! I replied in a joking matter, did you check the kill switch??? Two second later I hear OMG it started, ( I felt good that I helped, BUT I had a admit, that it happened to me also....

Ronnie

·
Registered
261 Posts
OP - I had a similar no start situation 2/15. I was getting ready to go on a group ride and the bike would not start. No clicking no nothing. Could not get the bike out of gear into neutral. I checked the kickstand was up and the stop switch was in the on position. I texted a forum member and he asked me if the 'reverse' switch was on? I checked and sure enough it was 'on' I switched it 'off' and the GW started right up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts