GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding to work in the dark (pre coffee) I accidentally deployed kickstand at a stop light (I was trying to push the centerstand down to kick off the stop light trigger in the pavement). Engine dies, bike won't restart.

Kickstand up, and sidestand light off. Normal FI light function. Stop switch ok. Bike in nuetral. Even with clutch pulled in. Begin pushing bike off to shoulder and going over starter circuit in my sleepy brain. Look down and try again, but it seems no matter how hard I push on the SET/DECEL cruise control button, the starter won't engage.

Duh... Push starter button and bike starts normally. Go figure.

I guess I am going to have to stop riding the FJR to work on one day and the Wing on the next, or at least have a couple cups of coffee before I head out of the house from now on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
happens to the best of us and you are one of the best.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thats a good one :lol: :lol: At least you did not load it on a trailer and haul it home before you figured out what was going on. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Fred - you had me worried - if it can happen to FRED, it can happen to anyone (I was thinking).

Glad to hear it worked out. One thing I have happen every once in a while is that I find I have accidentally pushed the reverse button (even though I was not using reverse). I have found this the first thing to check when mine does not start.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jjsC6 said:
Fred - you had me worried - if it can happen to FRED, it can happen to anyone (I was thinking).
I am thinking I should start a class action lawsuit against Honda for putting those two buttons so close together. :wink:

The starter button on the FJR is in the exact same position as the SET/ACCEL button on the Wing. Maybe I should include Yamaha in the lawsuit as well.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
The pre-coffee time of day is a dark mysterious place. That's why I try to sleep through it. Thank god for that coffee pot at home with the timer. I wake up to a fresh pot every morning.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Kickstand up, and sidestand light off. Normal FI light function. Stop switch ok. Bike in nuetral. Even with clutch pulled in. Begin pushing bike off to shoulder and going over starter circuit in my sleepy brain. Look down and try again, but it seems no matter how hard I push on the SET/DECEL cruise control button, the starter won't engage
The same kind of thing happened to me. It was labor day I am a bit away from the house. I stop at a place to grab a cup of coffee chat with a few people, get back on the bike, Won't Start being Labor Day, I start to get a little concerned.

I try everything can't get it to start, until I noticed some how I had pushed in the Reverse button, gee once I popped that out, bike started fine, Go figure. The only thing I could figure out the bike must be haunted, LOL

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Fred H. said:
jjsC6 said:
I am thinking I should start a class action lawsuit against Honda for putting those two buttons so close together. :wink:

The starter button on the FJR is in the exact same position as the SET/ACCEL button on the Wing. Maybe I should include Yamaha in the lawsuit as well.
Fred - while you are at it, go after Honda for making the horn switch stick out past the housing. It's the only motorcycle I've ever owned that I honk the horn accidentally - and frequently. I have recently been riding with another forum member (no names - JOE) who has put many, many miles on his GW, and he honks his horn by accident every time we ride together.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Important lesson learned here:

NEVER do ANYTHING Uncaffeinated nor drink anything Decaffeinated...

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go get another cup.

Thanks Fred,

Lance

·
Registered
918 Posts
I don't know how many times I've pressed the starter button when I wanted the horn, and they are not even on the same side!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Fred you know too much. The centerstand trick to change the field for the red light is what got ya. Next time, move the bike forward or back a couple of feet with your own 2 feet. This changes the bike position and changes the red light coil/field.

I can't do the center stand trick as honey always has the passenger foot pedels down. I can't remember the last time I flipped em up riding by myself.

We also got a new law up here that lets bikes go through red lights due to the coil field sometimes not being activated. Certain rules apply of course.
http://www.dps.state.mn.us/mmsc/latest/ ... .asp?cid=5

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Fred,

The problem is in the design of the "Starter" button itself...

It says "REVERSE"! No "STARTER" button anywhere that I can find.... :lol:

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Cranial methane builds up at various times during the day. I came home the other day and the fans were on - not typical. I look at the gauge and it's all the way to the top. Freak out. Then I realized I was looking at the fuel gauge. :oops:

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Don't feel bad Fred. I used to ride panheads with a jockey top trans and I would get in my truck at 5 am and push the clutch in and reach under the left side of the seat to shift. DUH!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wanderer said:
Cranial methane builds up at various times during the day. I came home the other day and the fans were on - not typical. I look at the gauge and it's all the way to the top. Freak out. Then I realized I was looking at the fuel gauge. :oops:
BTDTGTTS. It doesn't help that the two gauges in my minivan are opposite to what they are on the Wing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bike won,t start

Fred if nothing was broke, what did you find when you took it apart to find out why not?? Can you post pictures of the results???

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Wanderer said:
When I had the ECM done on my 02 I went from the shop right on to the freeway,drove about 5 miles,looked down and saw that I was overheating.I turned around,went straight back to the mechanic and brought him out to look at the guage.When I pointed to the guage,I realized I was pointing to the fuel guage. I felt pretty stupid at that point,and I think the mechanic agreed. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
does the centerstand trick have any effect on stoplites for U guys ?

i have been doing it for years but can't really say i have ever noticed any positive results

1 - 20 of 24 Posts