GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
@#$&%*@ B!^*! :eek:4:
It's going to be around 60 degrees here in CO today. We went out to get things warmed up and wouldn't you know it.... The Wing wont start.

The fuel pump pumps up, head lights don't seem dim, but when I push the starter button, the soleniod clicks, but does not turn the starter over.

I've had problems with this battery before, so I just swapped it out with a new one from Advanced Auto....only place to find one on Sunday....

I get home and install the new battery.... Same thing. I plug the Battery Tender in and sure enough... No green light. The box that the new battery came in says it should be fully charged! NOT! Now I just wait for the new battery to get fully charged.. BUMMER.. Nice weather just passing me by.

Hopefully it's only a low charge. :shrug: If not, time for some warranty work!!

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
If the fuel pump is running and the headlights come on bright, I think you have problems other than the battery.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe you may be right...

If the fuel pump is running and the headlights come on bright, I think you have problems other than the battery.

I was able to bump start the bike, run in around the block a few times, and when I shut it down..... Just click of the solenoid, the headlights go out, but no starter turn. I got the bike bump started again, then tried out the reverse. It worked just fine.

I've got the battery out of the bike now on the charger to see if it will take a full charge. If not, I'll go after another battery. If it does take a full charge with the Battery Tender tonight, I'll try again tomorrow night.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it's not the Battery!

The new battery took a full charge over night.

No change in status. Everything seems normal right up to the time you push the starter button. All I hear is a click of the relay, the headlights go out, but the starter does not turn.

I'm afraid I might be missing something obvious. :banghead:

I've checked the fuses next to the battery, and everything there tests OK. I've checked all grounding spots on both sides of the engine. I've pulled the seat to look for anything that may have come unplugged, or other wiring problems. So far, nothing obvious.

BTW, I was riding the bike the day before the trouble started. It gave no indication of problems then.

Anyone have other ideas?? Otherwise it's off to the dealer for a spell. :cry:

·
Registered
293 Posts
The new battery took a full charge over night.

No change in status. Everything seems normal right up to the time you push the starter button. All I hear is a click of the relay, the headlights go out, but the starter does not turn.

I'm afraid I might be missing something obvious. :banghead:

I've checked the fuses next to the battery, and everything there tests OK. I've checked all grounding spots on both sides of the engine. I've pulled the seat to look for anything that may have come unplugged, or other wiring problems. So far, nothing obvious.

BTW, I was riding the bike the day before the trouble started. It gave no indication of problems then.

Anyone have other ideas?? Otherwise it's off to the dealer for a spell. :cry:
same thing happened on my 05 suzuki c90 did everything would jump start replaced both hot and ground went away.good luck:shrug:

·
Registered
8,095 Posts

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
A quick check to see if a battery is OK is to blow the horn. If the horn sounds as usual than you should have enough power to crank the motor. If the horn sound a little sickly than you don't have enough power. I vote for the starter relay too.

·
Registered
171 Posts
No start

HOW ABOUT KILL SWITCH? If not, try running a jumper wire from positive post of battery to the wire that comes off solenoid going to starter. If starter turns, then a solenoid perhaps.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,544 Posts
It's not the kill switch, you wouldn't even hear a click if it is bad. I don't think it is a starter relay. They are both used for reverse, and it worked, so not a relay. I would check the reverse switch under the right engine side cover. The wire with the rubber cover on it. It has been found to be loose on a few bikes. Be careful, the switch is easily broken if tightened too much. I would check it to ground with an ohm meter to see if it is providing the ground to the reverse regulator assembly. This is the ground for the starter relay "B" coil when the bike is not in reverse. If it is good, then my guess is a bad reverse regulator assembly. There's a good simplified diagram of this circuit in the service manual on page 19-2. Not the ETM, the Service manual in the starting system section.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts