GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got my new BikeMP3 player today, watched a short video on how to install it. Plugged it in to the bike with the supplied harness, and then into the player, I noticed a smell and the wire harness began to get HOT! I immediately disconnected it and the wire began to cool. Apparently a couple of the pins were shorted. Called Wing Stuff but closed so filled out the request for return. We will see how this turns out.
Has anyone else had problems like this?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Sounds like a pinched wire maybe?:shrug:

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Sounds like a pinched wire or the main connector to the unit not fully seated contact us at BikeMP3.com we will get you working

remove the cable from the bike do not use the bike until you do look for damage on the cable

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not a pinched wire. You can see in the cord connecter and the player burned areas, either something was in the connecter that I didn't see when I put together or there was a bent pin at the player cord interface. Either way, it's toast! I'm more concerned that it may have damaged the bike's audio unit. So far it seems to work OK. I just was wondering if any one else had problems with the player.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Nope we have never seen it before with the V3 the audio unit will be OK we had a customer with a V1 unit do some home wiring and managed to get power into almost every wire and the unit was OK plus we abuse them all day here in the shop and I have only managed to fry one by reversing the input polarity :oops: on the test bench and that was a five minute fix.

There are no pins to bend at the connector end its more likely that the connector was not fully seated and shifted sideways causing a short.

You will need to return the unit and cable to us and we will get to the bottom of it and get you up and running with a new player and cable

I have left a message at Wing Stuff to tell them you have an issue but we handle returns/repairs directly its far quicker

·
Registered
606 Posts
Now that's Service with a capital Superman's "S"!

Byron Lentz didn't even have to make a call, just a simple note with a question and the manufacturer said "It broke? Well send it back and we'll send you a new one".

Can't beat that with a stick!

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
Plus one for Pete.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope we have never seen it before with the V3 the audio unit will be OK we had a customer with a V1 unit do some home wiring and managed to get power into almost every wire and the unit was OK plus we abuse them all day here in the shop and I have only managed to fry one by reversing the input polarity :oops: on the test bench and that was a five minute fix.

There are no pins to bend at the connector end its more likely that the connector was not fully seated and shifted sideways causing a short.

You will need to return the unit and cable to us and we will get to the bottom of it and get you up and running with a new player and cable

I have left a message at Wing Stuff to tell them you have an issue but we handle returns/repairs directly its far quicker
Thanks Pete, I was fairly sure there was no damage to audio unit. Looking forward to getting an operational unit. I'm planning a longer trip next month and would like to have it working.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Pete,

Please followup on this thread and let us know what the problem was when you get the return.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Hey Pete. Question.
I just got my new CB GL2way in and took it for a ride . I did the 3 clicks and go it into receive mode and put the sqwelch at 2-3. The CB was in RX mode the whole time I think while riding. After stopping I put it in CB receive mode and the RX seemed to not hold. I was on the interstate on channel 19 so I assumed someone was transmitting all the time but maybe not.
Question is.Does someone have to be transmitting for the CB to show RX even if the sqwelch is set at 1?

Three clicks puts you in second radio mode when you do this you will not have CB control you need to do it again get one beep to be in CB control

Squelch is dependent on many factors and is the control you will use to fine tune for distant reception and lower number will mean the RX comes on more often if you were on 3 and there is lots of transmissions or just general radio noise in the area the RX will stay on.

There is more than a direct transmission that will trigger the radio to receive you have to tune these out with the squelch find a number that works with the transmissions you want to hear but that will change every ride

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
tnredwingrider,
I usually run my squelch around 12-14 but I don't want to listen to static and line noises. Late in evening I can run it down some, depends on a lot of factors beyond your control. Usually if RX shows one of my buddies is talking to me.
Eddie

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a replacement player today by FedEx, installed it, works great. The software works fine but not sure it is worth the money. My bike is an '07 so I'm limited to 6 CDs. Just make 6 files on your card CD1 CD2 ect..... and copy and paste the MP3 files in the folders and away you go.
The first time I turned it on I was getting a "No Disc" flashing on the screen. Wasn't sure what to do about it. I remembered getting a different package in the mail a few days ago from BikeMP3 with a electronic gismo with a note included in the bag. Instructions "Reset procedure" I didn't know what this was for but I plugged it in and reset, after that the display showed the CD player and disc number. Great!
So basically it all worked out fine! Now to the MP3 library with a stack of SD cards. All my favorite music and audio books.:excited:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts