GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an issue with this unit "locking-up" After about an hour of riding the control of the unit locks up and won't respond to any input from the handle bar control. I was out last week riding and when I came to a stop I tried to turn down the volume and nothing happened. I turned the bike off and the music still played. I had to pull the SD card out to kill the thing but that only killed the sound not the unit. To my surprise three hours later my batery was dead. I had to unplug the unit and recharge the battery over night. This is the third unit I've had that does the same thing in locking out control but I have never had an issue with it staying on like this and draining the battery! Has anyone else run into this issue? I am certainly not trying to slam Pete, I just want to see if i have a bigger issue than the player.

·
Registered
693 Posts
mp3

I just encountered the same problem this weekend on a out of state trip. Killed my battery and made for a unpleasant ride back home. I am curious as to what the problem is. I thought the battery made be bad. I disconnected my battery to kill the mp3 player. Reconnected to start and didn't turn bike off till I got home.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Has anyone had an issue with this unit "locking-up" After about an hour of riding the control of the unit locks up and won't respond to any input from the handle bar control. I was out last week riding and when I came to a stop I tried to turn down the volume and nothing happened. I turned the bike off and the music still played. I had to pull the SD card out to kill the thing but that only killed the sound not the unit. To my surprise three hours later my batery was dead. I had to unplug the unit and recharge the battery over night. This is the third unit I've had that does the same thing in locking out control but I have never had an issue with it staying on like this and draining the battery! Has anyone else run into this issue? I am certainly not trying to slam Pete, I just want to see if i have a bigger issue than the player.
Sorry to hear you are having problems but I can assure you we have seen this on many occasions its not the MP3 locking but the whole audio system its not an issue with the bike or I am happy to say the player its normally just one button on the bike radio and this scenario is specifically covered in the MP3 instructions and it does not cause any damage.

I think you will find that you inadvertently pressed the ASEL button on the radio while using the MP3 unfortunately this is the kiss of death to nearly all the aftermarket devices that connect to the CD port due to a programming departure from the published command set made on the 1800 radio.

ASEL is safe to use on the radio AM-FM-WB just not on the MP3

If you think you did not touch the button make sure the button is free moving and not full of dust etc (Do not use any lubricant just air) also if you have one of the radio chrome trims these are well know for trapping gunk and sticking buttons.

Fuse #20 or the battery negative for a minute or so should resolve with no ill effects other than loss of radio station memories

I am assuming we are talking about the new V3 unit not the older V1

The ONLY other way this happens is if the main cable gets pinched/damaged or its not connected to the unit fully but if it works after a reset then its most likely the button.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
693 Posts
mp3

I did not touch any buttons. I havn't checked any thing yet because I just got home a few hours ago. I did try to change to FM and then cut my key off then disconnected my battery to cut it off.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I did not touch any buttons. I havn't checked any thing yet because I just got home a few hours ago. I did try to change to FM and then cut my key off then disconnected my battery to cut it off.
Then you need to check for sticking or oversensitive buttons put the radio on FM and see how easy/hard it is to activate the ASEL function in a lot of cases it only takes a light pressure or even just a gloved hand brushing over the button as I said this is the ONLY thing that makes this happen short of damaged cable or insecure connection to the unit

If the buttons are OK check the full length of the cable then unplug it from the unit remove one of the screws and use it to clean the threads of the connector screwing it in until it passes right through.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I also did not receive any instructions when I got my mp3 from you. The mp3 was the only thing in the package.
Hi Bill

I just checked we already emailed the instructions to you as requested previously are you having trouble with our emails I just sent them again but let me know if you don't get it

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear you are having problems but I can assure you we have seen this on many occasions its not the MP3 locking but the whole audio system its not an issue with the bike or I am happy to say the player its normally just one button on the bike radio and this scenario is specifically covered in the MP3 instructions and it does not cause any damage.

I think you will find that you inadvertently pressed the ASEL button on the radio while using the MP3 unfortunately this is the kiss of death to nearly all the aftermarket devices that connect to the CD port due to a programming departure from the published command set made on the 1800 radio.

ASEL is safe to use on the radio AM-FM-WB just not on the MP3

If you think you did not touch the button make sure the button is free moving and not full of dust etc (Do not use any lubricant just air) also if you have one of the radio chrome trims these are well know for trapping gunk and sticking buttons.

Fuse #20 or the battery negative for a minute or so should resolve with no ill effects other than loss of radio station memories

I am assuming we are talking about the new V3 unit not the older V1

The ONLY other way this happens is if the main cable gets pinched/damaged or its not connected to the unit fully but if it works after a reset then its most likely the button.

Hope this helps
I did not push the ASEL button but I will check it. This is the V03 and since I have complained about this each time you replaced it I don't remember you mentioning this. If the negative battery fuse is removed does this default the radio to having the ASEL activated?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I don't know if this will help or even if it is in the same ballpark. I use an Ipod on my bike and it would freeze up after 10-15 songs. I tried everything and then I figured out it was the Radio Shack ext cable that I bought. I removed it, threw the Ipod in the left glovebox and it has not skipped a beat since. I did a six hour ride on Friday with no problems. Voltage drop?

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
I did not push the ASEL button but I will check it. This is the V03 and since I have complained about this each time you replaced it I don't remember you mentioning this. If the negative battery fuse is removed does this default the radio to having the ASEL activated?
I think that when we had spoken you indicated locking but I had not picked up on the bike staying powered after turning off the key, as if I had I would of indicated as my post. Most customers tell me they did not press the button and from experience I believe them sometimes on older bikes the buttons can become fairly sensitive this then takes very little pressure or indeed just a road bump to activate them, use some canned air to blow them out

Check the buttons and check the connections/cable this is not an electronic problem its more environmental

1 - 10 of 10 Posts