GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
That is so not true. Pedro happens to be a member of this board and a simple pm will get a response. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Even through technical glitches with the new cb radio, BikeMP3 has always treated me fairly and provided all assistance needed in a timely fashion. Therefore, I will permit a few "bumps in the road" without discarding a great vendor.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have had 2 great customer service experiences with Pete when I needed it. I left a message on the company phone and sent an email, the replies were prompt.

·
IronMan
17,546 Posts
pedro way to go. did talk with girl at desk who walked me thru loading songs - was great .

·
Registered
350 Posts
Customer service does not exsist after they get your money! You have been warned!

I concur.

My ErgoMot windshield -- on the bike for a year -- went inop while riding in August. When I called BikeMP3 in Florida to pursue a fix, the female manager there couldn't have been less helpful, and told me straight off, very dismissively, my only recourse was to deal with the manufacturer in Belgium. "Pete" was unavailable initially, in his Las Vegas hideaway, but later sent me an email so condescending I refused to have anything further to do with him or his representatives.

"Pete" appears to operate on the Authoritarian model, with his customers subordinates, obliged to support his business, and do what they're told. Perhaps that philosophy works for his business, as witness his defenders in this thread, but it's not one I'll knuckle under. If I have a choice, I'll choose not to buy anything from BikeMP3 again.

Ultimately, I sent the windshield parts back to Belgium, where Paul Binon of ErgoMot was very helpful; the repaired parts are on their way back to me now. I've enjoyed the windshield, an excellent product, and hope the electrical problem was a one-off circuit board failure. That said, I was ready to reinstall my Windbender HP-S if I couldn't resolve the ErgoMot problem. Dayle Martin of Windbender, a very approachable guy, also makes excellent products and has always offered outstanding customer service for the various windshields I bought from him, as well as the aux fuel tank.

The contrast in their treatment of their customers couldn't be more striking.

hansong

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Poor customer service

My experience with BikeMP3 and Co. was not one I want to repeat. I won't do business with them again, nor recommend to any of my contacts.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
That is so not true. Pedro happens to be a member of this board and a simple pm will get a response. :thumbup:
Pedro has posted here numerous times that he'd not discuss his products on this board, not sure if that meant PM or not. I suspect he does not want the monitors checking him off.

·
Banned
2,967 Posts
I concur.

My ErgoMot windshield -- on the bike for a year -- went inop while riding in August. When I called BikeMP3 in Florida to pursue a fix, the female manager there couldn't have been less helpful, and told me straight off, very dismissively, my only recourse was to deal with the manufacturer in Belgium. "Pete" was unavailable initially, in his Las Vegas hideaway, but later sent me an email so condescending I refused to have anything further to do with him or his representatives.

"Pete" appears to operate on the Authoritarian model, with his customers subordinates, obliged to support his business, and do what they're told. Perhaps that philosophy works for his business, as witness his defenders in this thread, but it's not one I'll knuckle under. If I have a choice, I'll choose not to buy anything from BikeMP3 again.

Ultimately, I sent the windshield parts back to Belgium, where Paul Binon of ErgoMot was very helpful; the repaired parts are on their way back to me now. I've enjoyed the windshield, an excellent product, and hope the electrical problem was a one-off circuit board failure. That said, I was ready to reinstall my Windbender HP-S if I couldn't resolve the ErgoMot problem. Dayle Martin of Windbender, a very approachable guy, also makes excellent products and has always offered outstanding customer service for the various windshields I bought from him, as well as the aux fuel tank.

The contrast in their treatment of their customers couldn't be more striking.

hansong

I was not going to get involved with this thread as it always just seems to feed the fire the original poster is PO'ed with us and I understand that and we are doing what we can to resolve it, we do drop the ball from time to time and unfortunately the folks effected often post to share experiences as is there right.

But I would like to reply to Hansong's post as its not entirely accurate, and the best way to do this is to post some if not all of the email interactions for those who care to read them.

The first we knew of the situation with the screen was on 08/30 when I received the following

"Pete,

This is a copy of an email I just sent to Paul Binon:

Paul,

I've enjoyed having the Ergomot windshield on my Goldwing, so I was dismayed when it stopped working while on a trip this week. The windshield now fails to operate using either the up/down or memory positions.

Any ideas as to why it suddenly become inoperative? Is there a way to reset the controller? The controller is getting power, so the problem is downstream from there.

Thank you,

Gordon HXXXXX

Have you heard of this happening to anyone else? Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,

Gordon HXXXXX

As the customer was out of warranty and already in contact with the manufacturer I did not jump in and muddy the water

On 09/02 Gordon got a reply from Paul at Ergomot who unfortunately had been sick so the reply was a little delayed

Pete,

I heard back from Paul this morning:

Gordon, i was in hospital, could not respond. Have serious health trouble.To reset : disconnect both motors from control and from windshield. Move shield by hand up and down, should slide up down without brute forceOne by one motor , put 12 volt dc on red and black wire of motor and let piston go up and down whole the way, several times. Spray contact cleaner in motor where piston comes out. To reverse direction reverse polarity. To end, bring both pistons to half extended and connect back to the controller. Power the controller and wait 10 secs. Test without windshield attached. If this is not remedy ask Pete to send motors + controller for repair/exchange. Grtz. Paul.Sorry to hear he's been under the weather; I've had enough of that program myself lately.

Following the test procedure above, both motors checked out normal However, when I plugged the controller back in, the system was inop as before, so the controller is apparently tango uniform.

Have these controllers failed before? When it happened I was riding along at 70 mph and wanted to raise my faceshield for a moment, so I raised the windshield; when I went to lower the windshield, it was kaput. I haven't ridden much in the year I've had the ErgoMot on the bike, so it's disappointing to have it quit on me. I had thought I'd seen a caution about operating the system above 75 mph, so I've been careful about that, although I usually don't cruise above 70 anyway. When I reviewed the installation instructions just now the only reference to speed I could find was the 200 kph on the autobahn number, and the windshield would be least of my concerns at that speed on a GL1800.

The windshield remained about 3/4 up for the remainder of my trip, which meant I really missed the cooling airflow through my C3 helmet. I was surprised at the big decrease in comfort with the temperature in the low 90s. I want my windshield back! It really is an excellent product.

Thanks for taking care of this. I'll install the controller as soon as it gets here and report the results.

Gordon

As you read the reply from Ergomot the customer is instructed to "ask Pete to send motors + controller for
repair/exchange " This is a clear instruction for the customer to return the items to us so we can send them in for repair and not "Pete will send you new units to replace the faulty items you have"On 09/03 You for the first time called our office and had a conversation with Nicki which turned unpleasant when you were told that the faulty units were out of warranty but Ergomot would fix them for you if you returned them to us or them, I believe it was at this point you became combative and as you found out Nicki is not a pushover you push her your getting pushed back.

You then emailed me as follows

Pete,

I just finished an unsatisfactory -- and unpleasant -- call with Nicki, who says in very emphatic terms that she cannot and will not do anything about the Ergomot controller, that Paul Binon will have to handle it, contrary to what Paul communicated to me via email, and and that you are not available to talk about this problem.

What is going on here? Why will you not respond to emails?

Gordon HXXXXX

Now maybe my reply to you was a little off kilter but at the time I had an employee on the phone telling me that you had been very abusive to her when she tried to relay to what you had already been told by the manufacturer of the unit and indeed your email states that you were told to get new units form us which is completely untrue, but I will publish it here in full and if it reads
condescending I am sorry, I note that I made a mistake in the email saying that Paul had told you to ask us if we had parts as stated above he did not actually say that.

Gordon

Apologies for the late reply to your email lets try to get this resolved for you

First of all your call with Nicki we could go down that road but I spoke to her and I would say let discretion be the better part of valor and go with it takes two to make an argument, Nicki has my full backing and any decision that she makes is final trying to over her head will not get you any further, that said I am not sure you made it 100% clear that Paul had told you to ask if we could supply you a controller and you certainly did not email me any such request.

Moving on to your email that was sent to Paul indicating that I was ignoring your email is just plain incorrect this is not the case I am replying to you now as my time has allowed, I am not front line customer support my time is at a premium but I will always try to make myself available but this is why I have a frontline team to answer the phone so customers are replied to in good time, ALL your other emails were just forward copies of your interaction with Paul, At no time was I required to become involved in this matter, this is the ONLY email that has required a direct reply from me.

As you may or may not know we are no longer the sole distributor for the X-Screen or any Ergomot product here in the USA as Ergomot felt they did not want to be limited to one point of sale or support, This removed the burden of warranty decisions other than the 12 months we offer although we are always happy to help our customers when we can, once this change was made we were very limited on the items we had on hand and to the depth of support we could offer to customers, hence when I saw that your were already interacting with Paul there was little need for me to become involved as he would have the final word on any warranty claims anyway.

Now to the matter in hand of your Windshield if you refer to your order it is dated 2nd August 2013, your prior emails to me confirm that you installed it on 18th August 2013 your ONE YEAR warranty with BikeMP3 technically ran out on 2nd August 2014 but as you had some install challenges lets say for the purpose of this discussion it ran out August 18th 2014 some 12 days before you contacted Ergomot for support.

When you contacted Ergomot on August 30th 2014 asking for support it was given without question, After a few emails Paul suggested that you contact us to ask if we had an exchange controller as he was trying to be helpful and get you resolved in the fastest way possible, unfortunately we do not have any service parts available due to our service stock being used by other customers and yet to be returned and replaced by Ergomot, I would suggest that your return your controller to us to forward to Paul or even directly to Paul for repair I know that in Europe they are a little more generous with warranties so he may just ask you to cover return shipping but only he can make that determination.

So to finish the original posting indicates that you contacted us in the first instance with an issue and we refused to help you so you had to eventually go to the manufacturer.

But the truth is when you contacted the manufacturer several days before asking us for help and when we both told you the same solution that was not your solution you got upset.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good to hear " the rest of the story "

I have had 2 customer issues and many technical questions with Pete over the last few years and all were more then very satisfactory. He has always been willing to help and very free with his time helping me make decisions as to what to do - even to the point of making a custom connector for me.

Having been in a service industry most of my career, I am not easily convinced when someone whines and bitches - usually once questions are asked you find they expected something way over and above or instant gratification and when reasonable solutions are offered they throw hissy fits and try to intimidate everyone they cross paths with to bully their way to the solution they want, now. Someday they may learn that patience is indeed a virtue and kindness and humor will get you much farther when dealing with anyone.

There is not much that aggravates more then a customer who calls a customer service department and is abusive to whomever answers the phone.The issue is not their fault and most really want to help - give them a reason. I applaud your willingness to help this guy after he did that - I would not have.

Pete you have my support and thanks for all your help - both personal and on this board.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I'll add my kudos to Pete as well. I live not far from his shop, went there once, he took the time to fix a switch, you know how temperamental GW switches are, wouldn't take a payment. After almost two years, that switch is still working. He won't remember, but I do. Understand that this guy is totally busy doing what he does, so he has to have someone on the front line, no way he can handle everyone's problem like 'right now'.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
It is nice to know when there is a problem with customer service. It is one of the things that helps me to decide where to send my business. It is also nice to know an employer, who has trained an employee on how he wants his business run is willing to back up his employee. Thanks to Gordon for helping to re-inforce BikeMP3 is the type of business I want to spend my money with, and Pete is the type of boss who supports his people.

I will be purchasing a BikeMP3 player in the next few months, as my last one is being enjoyed by that Wings' new owner, as is the CB. It will be early next year before I need another CB. Pete will get that business also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts