GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I have a feeling they are going to be bad around here too, especially once the frost goes out of the ground :nojoke:

·
Registered
66 Posts
You can't fix stupid. I was out putting our cars away around 9pm and it was already getting slippery on the drive way. You have to use your head for more than holding your hat ( helmet).

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Pothole

Sad to hear but not just up North. I hit one in the dark last year just east of Little Rock Arkansas that blew out my fork seals and actually knocked out my lighting for a couple of seconds. Wheel rim checked but not bent, riding pants checked but took awhile to get them out of the nether regions. I was behind a semi and saw his trailer launch in the air and I tried to steer clear but got the edge.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I can not agree more you cant fix stupid . Lets see salt, sand, pot holes, lots of water on the roads from the melting snow. Oh I did I mention snow (which means the ground is still frozen). All so I must say maybe he had no choice but to ride his bike I do not know the whole story . So with that said my condolences to his family.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Roads are really bad here in Maine. Besides allot of pot holes there are allot of heaves and depressions that could cause one to lose control. Wife and I said it is going to be an interesting season. Usually the heaves and depressions level out in spring. We will see....

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
So sad.
I see he was from New York and assume he was living in the cities.

On another sad note- We had 5 snowmobile deaths in Wisconsin this past weekend.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Sad to hear but not just up North. I hit one in the dark last year just east of Little Rock Arkansas that blew out my fork seals and actually knocked out my lighting for a couple of seconds. Wheel rim checked but not bent, riding pants checked but took awhile to get them out of the nether regions. I was behind a semi and saw his trailer launch in the air and I tried to steer clear but got the edge.
That is a wake up call taint it...

I was in my work van the other day and kinda day dreaming and not paying as good of attention as I should have been. There was an aluminum ladder in the road and I could not see because of that big truck. All of a sudden there is this ladder in front of me. Well you have two choices, either swerve and take a chance you lose control or you hang on and hit it.

I took option two, I held on tight and hit the ladder. Then pulled over and inspected my tires. The rest of the day I talked to myself and said, Kit you idiot...what a dummy......if on the bike make damm sure you hold far enough back to see.

It happens fast.......would be the same with a big pothole, now you see it, whoops now it is too late.

·
Banned
792 Posts

I was in my work van the other day and kinda day dreaming and not paying as good of attention as I should have been. There was an aluminum ladder in the road and I could not see because of that big truck. All of a sudden there is this ladder in front of me. Well you have two choices, either swerve and take a chance you lose control or you hang on and hit it.

I took option two, I held on tight and hit the ladder. Then pulled over and inspected my tires. The rest of the day I talked to myself and said, Kit you idiot...what a dummy......if on the bike make damm sure you hold far enough back to see.

It happens fast.......would be the same with a big pothole, now you see it, whoops now it is too late.
I had that exact same thing happen to me in my car. Following a big truck and suddenly this aluminum ladder comes right out from under his back tires. :eek:4: I did the same as you, held the wheel and went over it. I was lucky, no damage to be seen.

·
Registered
314 Posts

I notice the age of the victim is 30, perhaps he didn't have enough experience keeping his mind on the task at hand.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
He lived on Long Island. Big difference from living in the city. Guess people assume that when you say NY you mean the city. And I would also bet the roads are a lot worst around metro NY/NJ area with all the snow etc etc and all the TRAFFIC tearing up the roads. Saw a pothole here in Jersey that had a traffic cone sticking out of it. Only the top 1' of the cone. Rest was in the pothole....

·
Registered
417 Posts
The latest update I've read states that he wasn't wearing a helmet and was going about 100-120 mph, and hit cracks in the pavement. Sad to say, but like some have said, you can't fix stupid!

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I notice the age of the victim is 30, perhaps he didn't have enough experience keeping his mind on the task at hand.
Well it is sad when anyone dies in an accident. None of us wake up each day planning to have one. But I have learned in life that all of us are subject to an accident.

I used to armchair things, but life has taught me that all of us can have our moments of inattention. I suppose it is just lady luck as to how things play out sometimes.

I try my best and have an whole different attitude when on a motorcycle than when dawdling along in a big work van, but just the same I know it may well happen to me one day.

Not gonna worry about it, but we are all subject to moments of inattention, it just depends on how serious the situation we did not see happens to be.

Sooner or later we all will do something dumb. You look but do not see.

Once I pulled out in front of a Wing. Yep I did. It was a foggy morning if that is any excuse, I looked, and looked again and pulled out and out of the fog floated one of those Titanium colored Wings. Two things happened, I floored it to clear the path quicker and the rider saw me and hit the brakes.......and gave me the bird......Lol. I was glad he was alive to do such. I did not intend to not see, but still did not see.

Stuff happens.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes he hit a pot hole and there are plenty of them here this year. But at night doing an estimated 120 mph without a helmet is plain stupid.

The whole Twin Cities vs New York thing is he works for 3M which has the HQ here.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Yes he hit a pot hole and there are plenty of them here this year. But at night doing an estimated 120 mph without a helmet is plain stupid.

The whole Twin Cities vs New York thing is he works for 3M which has the HQ here.
The biggest pothole was between his ears. Sadly, another unnecessary wasted life.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Arkansas has some serious pot holes. I hit a couple just coming into West Memphis in our Miata last month.

This is my left front wheel. The other three weren't much better.

Farmers insurance replaced all four wheels!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Prayers for his family and friends. Is this thinning the herd? 120 MPH, no protective gear, I have difficulty feeling grief other than for those left behind. Maybe some one will learn something from this.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I just read the article, I had seen it on the news earlier, Very sad, I am not going to make any judgment, not many years ago it could have been me, I gave up motorcycling for a few years because of an incident not unlike this. My thoughts are with his family. jmop

1 - 20 of 32 Posts