GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
I may have read it wrong but it seems that poor soul was killed by a truck, not the tread......

Matt(BCNV):cry:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I may have read it wrong but it seems that poor soul was killed by a truck, not the tread......

Tire tread kicked up by another car caused the accident, and truck driver couldn't avoid hitting the rider. RIP

·
Registered
378 Posts

I think you are correct, Matt. I gathered from reading the story it must have happened quickly.......the car runs over a tire tread and flips it up, the rider hits the tread losing control with him landing in another lane, and the truck driver runs over him not having enough time to react. My heart goes out to the riders' family as well as the truck driver. Bad, bad situation.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Although this guy was apparently taken down by a piece of tread kicked up by a car, one of my biggest fears is getting hit by a chunk of tread blown off a trailer as I pass it. Unfortunately some things happen so fast that they are almost unavoidable.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Tire carcasses

On my trip out west I drug 2 tire carcasses of the road on 2 lane highways, one of them was large and had to weigh 30 to 40 pounds. My bike and trailer are narrow and easy to pull to the shoulder so I go ahead and do it. These tire chunks can be bad news to a car much less a motorcycle.

·
15 year Member
6,940 Posts
You are correct, I would change the title of the thread, if I knew how.
My mistake in the wording.
Your title is right on, I think motorcycle riders often get in minor wrecks then find themselves in traffic and that is when things go terribly wrong... My heart goes out to the victim and his family....

·
IronMan
17,846 Posts
someone posted couple months ago that hit tread n damaged wing pretty good ( bad ) didnt go down but trashed bike

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Course, this type of accident can happen anywhere, but noticed the article also talks about several other accidents in the Atlanta area.... the one, and only, area I've ever ridden and never want to ride that area's Interstate hwy again.

I ended up riding my Shadow Spirit through there at rush hour one time and that was the only time riding my bike, so far, that I've ever been "anxious" and just wanted to get the hell out of there...

I'm doing 80 and people are passing me like I'm sitting still... and they're all over the place... nothing like getting in a hugh mass of cars and they are all doing 90 and changing lanes constantly...:shock:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The interstate through Atlanta.......not a good place to be on a motorcycle.

You draw your straw and take your chances, about what it amounts to.

You have to expect the unexpected, second by second, one moments inattention on that one and the news people will have a new article to write.

I go around it now if and when I go that way. It is not worth it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I lived down there for a few years. I think it is actually worse than 80/94 in the Chicago area.... the overall speeds in that area are extreme and it seems EVERYONE is on their cell phone in the Atlanta area, which just makes things worse than they already are.

Feel bad for the rider, his family and the truck driver.

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
the overall speeds in that area are extreme and it seems EVERYONE is on their cell phone in the Atlanta area
Every time I ride through there it seems some young gal driving too fast and talking or texting on her phone tries to hit me or cut me off.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I go through Atlanta frequently on the way to the mountains. Even the by passes are just as dangerous. Atlanta is not any fun. I stick to the HOV lane when it opens and give the cars all the room they want. Another recent danger is Atlanta P.D.. While they are trying to enforce traffic laws with a little more consistency, they park their cruisers on the inside break down lane and in blind left curves. So you are traveling in the HOV lane and go around a curve and now you a car parked right up against the left side of the HOV lane and cars crowding you to the right.

Did have a Traffic Officer make a special effort to cross three lanes of traffic to ride beside me and wave, then move back over in the heavy traffic.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
The question I have is the statement that he layed the bike down. Now was this the result of the impact or did he do it intentionally?

I still hear of guys laying the bike down to avoid an accident. How can you avoid when you intentionally relinquish control?

·
Registered
341 Posts
No one can know if he "laid it down" on purpose. It's much more likely that he went down either due loss of control from the impact of the tire tread, or possibly by grabbing the brakes in a panic reaction leading to a low-side.

I think people (especially non-riders) say a rider "laid it down" to explain what happened, after the fact.

If you lock the front wheel you'll likely meet the asphalt with no perceptible elapsed time. I did it in an MSF class at very low speed, and couldn't believe how instantaneous it was.

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
Rode thru Atlanta during rush hour and it was not fun, Houston is bad too.

Prayers to his family

·
Registered
30 Posts
The question I have is the statement that he layed the bike down. Now was this the result of the impact or did he do it intentionally?

I still hear of guys laying the bike down to avoid an accident. How can you avoid when you intentionally relinquish control?
"I had to lay it down" is a euphemism for " I don`t know how to use my brakes properly so I crashed."

1 - 20 of 32 Posts