GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in knowing the percentage of different bikes used for Long Distance Riding. I didn't see anything about it on the IBA site. I would like to see a breakdown of the bikes also by the model, (i.e. Honda 1100, BMW R1200RT, etc.) Does anyone know if something like this exits?

·
Registered
127 Posts
On IBA site, under rides & rules, theres a header that is linked to all certified finishers.
http://www.ironbutt.com/rides/rideslogin.cfm

There's a break down of brands but the details to make an analysis by model is there.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Greetings,

Interesting stats when you look at them.

Motorcycles by brands that have completed an IBA ride.

Harley-Davidson 6650
Honda 5917
BMW 4878
Yamaha 1491
Kawasaki 1472
Suzuki 655
Triumph 288
Moto Guzzi 119
Ducati 82
Victory 74
Buell 43
Aprilia 37
Indian 18
KTM 17
Boss Hoss 12
Cagiva 10
Excelsior-Henderson 7
Laverda 5
Norton 4
Ural 4
Volkswagen 3
CA Custom 2
CMC 2
MV 2
Piaggio 2
Moto Morini 1
Big Dog 1
BSA 1
DRS 1
Gilera 1
Hyosung 1
MZ 1
Royal Enfield 1
Titan 1
Tomos 1

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Note, for what it is worth, those stats are as of May 2005. The good people at IBA are extremely busy trying to keep up with ride certifications and have not updated the stats. I would be interesting to see if Harley still leads.

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
If you look thru the IBA accomplishments.... there was a group of riders
that did a 1500 on Suzuki Hayabusha's... musta been one tough group

cosmic

·
Registered
430 Posts
I read a story there about one fellow who did an SS1k across Texas riding a Honda 50cc (or thereabouts) two stroke. Made it with mere minutes to spare. Don't think he had time to check into the Ironbutt Motel. Maybe his story is still there.

As far as what is the most meaningful as far as brand/model and finish/DNF goes, I think the IBR would be the benchmark. As stated above, just about any bike can do an ironbutt run, but not just any bike can accomplish a finish in the rally. There have been some odd ones over the years, including a Honda Helix. There was a 250 Ninja and an old Beemer w/sidecar this past rally.

Lots of DNFs with the predominant brand, BMW, but then there are many BMWs entered. One new K1200GS(?), the one with the go fast I-4 engine, with no farkles ran. That must have been a real Butt Breaker. Most of the bikes loaded to the max with every imaginable electronic gizmo, including several with satellite tracking antennas, so everyone could track their progress realtime. A few of the bikes were devoid of these farkles, but I don't think they were aiming for the podium.

·
Registered
4,751 Posts
About any of the bikes will do long distances these days. You just need to pick the one YOU like and are most comfortable on. As the old saying goes theres a seat for every a$$. Hope you find the one you like

·
Registered
21,145 Posts
the toughest thing i have seen on the Ironbutt site is a group of guys that did a SS1000 , every mile on DIRT ROADS !

i still think Yellow Wolfs 1,000 at the gap with 8 minutes to spare tops them all even if its not IBA certified

1 - 8 of 8 Posts