GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both Pop Chance and I used the Falken as first time Dark Siders, and we are riding together here in Wyoming this week. both our bikes are pulling to the right since installing the tire. We have triple checked the front ends (both Traxxion, both Kury fork Brace and Both tapered head bearings and both Bridgestones new...)

Mind will absolutely change lanes if you let go. Jimmy loosened all the brace and axel bolts and fork pinch bolts and tried to make sure all was in straight order etc. after two attempts, still pulls. He now thinks this is coming from the rear.

I though the Dark Side Collective will have an answer. anyone experienced this? what is the fix?

I do have an MT I can swap when I get home to see if that changes it.

Ideas??

·
DSI Keeper
9,172 Posts
Mine pulls to the right also. I am using a Pirelli on a similiar setup as yours. The only thing I have done to change that effect, is when I swap front wheels. I have tried all the things you done with the same results. I have 3 wheels, 2 OEM and one aftermarket. Both OEM pull (gently) to the right and the other tracks great.

Others will chime in and say theirs will pull to the left and still others will say no pull at all.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Before you start looking for problems consider what is normal.

On roads with a slope, or a bit of a center crown, it is normal for a CT to want to walk to the right a bit. Not a lot, but if you are new to the use of a CT it is there. A CT will walk the walk to the right go to the low side on roads with slope and or high crown. Or walk a bit towards the low side of any hole, slope, road depression and so on.

There is more tread on the road, so you get more feedback to the bike. Tires do that on a car too, you just do not feel it in most as the power steering compensates for it. But drive an older car or old pickup and you can feel the tires walk on them too to the low side.

So a bit of that is normal. And a bit of that is normal with a MC tire on some roads also, it is just more noticeable with the CT.

So take the bike to Wally World or some other large flat parking lot and ride around with no hands on the bars and see what happens.

Try that first before you start looking for problems with the bike.

I suppose once you get used to it, one does not even consider it, you have to stop and concentrate to even realize it is happening.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
A little puzzling indeed. Mine is Fully Monty Trax and OEM wheels front and rear. I have not noticed it pulling either direction with a Kumho (RF), Toyo or Falken on rear. Always a 709 on front. Tomorrow I'll be riding with a couple of other guys and I'll have them ride it to see if they can detect anything.

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts

On roads with a slope, or a bit of a center crown, it is normal for a CT to want to walk to the right a bit. Not a lot, but if you are new to the use of a CT it is there. A CT will walk the walk to the right go to the low side on roads with slope and or high crown. Or walk a bit towards the low side of any hole, slope, road depression and so on.

There is more tread on the road, so you get more feedback to the bike. Tires do that on a car too, you just do not feel it in most as the power steering compensates for it. But drive an older car or old pickup and you can feel the tires walk on them too to the low side.

So a bit of that is normal. And a bit of that is normal with a MC tire on some roads also, it is just more noticeable with the CT.

So take the bike to Wally World or some other large flat parking lot and ride around with no hands on the bars and see what happens.

I suppose once you get used to it, one does not even consider it, you have to stop and concentrate to even realize it is happening.
:agree:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Agree with Kit and Rail. Mine will follow the grade of the road. We have 4-lanes around here where the left lane slants to median and right lane slants to shoulder (unless I am driving on the wrong side of the road then everything is reversed...just joking).

·
Premium Member
31,975 Posts
(unless I am driving on the wrong side of the road then everything is reversed...just joking).
Some things we are not supposed to post ,for our own good :twisted: example ,, wheelie wife and I did after graduation party Sunday . Man my ribs still hurt after wife punched me. Good news not peeing blood :yes1:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Yep when I pass on the double yellow my bike pulls to the left. :joke:

But I do not do such things, I just heard about that somewhere. :lol:

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Most likely it is the crown or slope of the road that causes the bike to "pull" in a direction. With a slope to the right, there is a greater force on the left "corner" of the tread, causing the bike to pitch to the right.

If you can find a road that has a slope to the left, see if that "pull" changes to the left.

The squarer the tread profile, the more this will be experienced. A winter or rain tread has a rounder profile for "slicing through" the water. This will reduce the pull that you are experiencing.

My Dunlop rain tire reduces that feel and you just get accustomed to it. It helps if you don't ride in the slow (and dirty) lane.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Not my first rodeo. of course I tried all this, many times hundreds of surfaces, wind from the right, driving in the opposite lane, cruise on, coasting, up hill and down hill etc. Had Jimmy Chance ride the bike and he felt my pull also, worse than his. SO all that was the first thing checked of course.

But now... It will even change lanes even from the OPPOSITE crown in the road.

My next step will be to change the rear tire back to a MT and see if that makes any difference, if so it is something to do with the CT and I 'll just live with it - Because I love the CT!!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Not my first rodeo. of course I tried all this, many times hundreds of surfaces, wind from the right, driving in the opposite lane, cruise on, coasting, up hill and down hill etc. Had Jimmy Chance ride the bike and he felt my pull also, worse than his. SO all that was the first thing checked of course.

But no. It will change lanes even from the OPPOSITE crown in the road.

My next step will be to change the rear tire back to a MT and see if that makes any difference, if so it is something to do with the CT and I 'll just live with it - Because I love the CT!!
In my opinion that (bold) is a pretty 'bad' pull. I do hope we'll see a report on the final outcome.

BTW, just for my inquisitive mind. The Falken is marked to install one side facing outwards. How do you and Jimmy have yours installed?

·
Registered
973 Posts
I also believe it is just the crown of the road acting on the wider CT. I can often feel a pull to the left when traveling in the fast lane as well. I put my tools in the left saddle bag to counter the effect (of the right side pull when in the right lane) and haven't even thought about it for the last 70,000 miles.
MM

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I've had similar results as you. I'm running a full Traxxion but using a Pirelli [email protected] Using a G709 front end. Mine wanted to pull right. It definitely was NOT the road crown because (like you) it would track pretty straight on the left lane with a crown downward sloping to the left. It would even walk up the hill a bit. So for that to happen, the bike had to have a desire to go right. I try to weight the left of the bike when packing heavier than the left to help counter this issue.

I just now replaced the front tire. G709 for G709 and the pull is completely gone. I had bounced the front end repeatedly with the older tire with zero results (just like you). I did notice that my Pirelli was wearing faster on the right side than the left (odd?) and thought that may have been the cause. I'm about to replace the Pirelli as it's life is nearly up. Will try a Kumho RF and see how that runs.

Since the new front tire has alleviated the pull, I can only point to the older front tire. I'll have to see if the pull comes back as the new front wears.

Both Pop Chance and I used the Falken as first time Dark Siders, and we are riding together here in Wyoming this week. both our bikes are pulling to the right since installing the tire. We have triple checked the front ends (both Traxxion, both Kury fork Brace and Both tapered head bearings and both Bridgestones new...)

Mind will absolutely change lanes if you let go. Jimmy loosened all the brace and axel bolts and fork pinch bolts and tried to make sure all was in straight order etc. after two attempts, still pulls. He now thinks this is coming from the rear.

I though the Dark Side Collective will have an answer. anyone experienced this? what is the fix?

I do have an MT I can swap when I get home to see if that changes it.

Ideas??

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
After reading through your posts my question would be what side did you have "outside" facing? A couple of other things,
1) break dragging front or rear

2) wheel bearings on right side starting to drag

Just a couple of other things to check an eliminate!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Radial car tires will develop a pull sometimes. To check it on a car we swap the tires to the other side of the car and see if it pulls in the other direction. On a bike you will have to take it off of the rim and remount it in the other direction, if it pulls the other way it is the tire. If so the only cure is a new tire.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In my opinion that (bold) is a pretty 'bad' pull. I do hope we'll see a report on the final outcome.

BTW, just for my inquisitive mind. The Falken is marked to install one side facing outwards. How do you and Jimmy have yours installed?
I have not thought of this. I will check this evening and I'll text Jimmy to ask him also. So WHICH side Should the "Outside" be on??

I also believe it is just the crown of the road acting on the wider CT. I can often feel a pull to the left when traveling in the fast lane as well. I put my tools in the left saddle bag to counter the effect (of the right side pull when in the right lane) and haven't even thought about it for the last 70,000 miles.
MM
That is a great idea. I do carry lots of tools and they WERE in my Pak it Rak until Jimmy told me not to put that much weight out that far aft. So they are now in the R saddle bag. I will immediately switch them over to the left.

when I "cheek sneak" on the seat while in cruise, I can get it to track better, but I have to be pretty far out.

After reading through your posts my question would be what side did you have "outside" facing? A couple of other things,
1) break dragging front or rear

2) wheel bearings on right side starting to drag

Just a couple of other things to check an eliminate!
Which side should the "outside" marker be on? Or does it matter? should I simply switch the tire no matter which way it is mounted?

Radial car tires will develop a pull sometimes. To check it on a car we swap the tires to the other side of the car and see if it pulls in the other direction. On a bike you will have to take it off of the rim and remount it in the other direction, if it pulls the other way it is the tire. If so the only cure is a new tire.
I may switch to my spare MT and test. if it goes away it is coming from the CT. Then I think reversing the sides would be a good option.

Thanks To All. I'll try to re-post what I found.

jim

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Doc, When I ran my Falken the "outside" was to the left side. Putting the spare back on would be the easiest thing to do. If it runs straight you will know where the problem lies!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just checked, the "Outside" is to the left. dropped the air pressure to 40 to see if that helps for tomorrow's mostly highway ride.

·
Registered
393 Posts
So WHICH side Should the "Outside" be on??

Which side should the "outside" marker be on? Or does it matter? should I simply switch the tire no matter which way it is mounted?

jim
The tire is asymmetrical which is why there is an Outside and Inside on each side of the tire. According to the tire label on some asymmetrical designs the outside is more of a summer tire design, the center is a rain tire design, and the inside is a winter tire design. That is one way of making an all-season tire, use 3 different tread designs on a single tire.
Anyway, the summer (Outside) side should wear better and have the best dry traction, the center will have better wet traction and braking, and the winter (Inside) side will have better mud and snow traction usually.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts