GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just watched The Discovery Chanl.
Mike Rowe (the host) was with a guy that collects cookiing oil from McDonolds, Mexican Resturants,ect. He gets it for FREE,they would throw it away.
He operates 3 cars on the stuff 40/MPG. in a 12 gal tank that's 480 miles .Costs him alot less than $2.40 at the pump!How many of
u would run your cars or Wings on this fuel? I'd give it a shot
It's a Win Win situation ............save money & the air is cleaner

·
Registered
399 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, I think that the original motors are diesel........There are a bunch of the bio-diesel cars around here using recycled fryolator grease........joy

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
it is for diesel vehicles.

If you do some searching, it is not a simple deal of collecting the oil and then use it in the vehicle.

There are kits for home use to process the cooking oil into bio-diesel fuel. Not inexpensive to buy the needed equipment

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Can the motor handle the trans fat stuff

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
My buddy tried it, but his pickup got high cholesterol and now is on a low fat diet and he must put lipitor in the tank with each fillup.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Mike did a show here from Bellingham about a guy who makes his own Bio-diesel. I know a couple guys who run this in there rigs. Smells like french-fries. I had a diesel and understand, that it will clog filters the first couple times. I never had the chance to test that theory. Many guys have turned to forums ie Ford Diesel.com and others, and have many various opinions about how and what to make the best stuff.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
You can do a alot of research at biodiesel.org

It is making alot of progress in the market place. It is better for diesel engines than the new 15 ppm sulphur fuel out there now. It lubricates the top end much better. It costs about 20 cents more a gallon right now because there is not enough plants making it yet.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
shuckaduck said:
Can the motor handle the trans fat stuff
I don't know if it's a good idea.. My Wing is getting a little plump in the rump...

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
The Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel seems to cause a few problems with diesels that are several yrs old.... leaking seals in the fuel system / pumps have been reported.

I use an additive in my 2006 Jetta TDI fuel that adds some lubricity to the ULSD fuel. Not sure if it is needed , but I use it.

:sparkplug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts