GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time ever been hit in the face by a bird. You can see the bird trying to maneuver out of the way but did not succeed. It happen so fast that you cannot see it on the video, I had to do frame by frame to see it. Speed was 50 mph. Yes, it hurt. Felt like I got punched.

Attachments

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
Been hit in helmet and bike but not in face . Ouch ! Glad your ok .

·
Registered
930 Posts
Back in 2006 I was on a group ride and I had just bought a new Escapade trailer for my bike. It was just made and shipped to the dealer and we picked it up and left for the trip the day after it came in. We were heading down the road when I saw a big bird hit the Goldwing in front of me. It bounced up and came down right on my new trailer. Oh man I was upset.

Of course the Goldwing that hit the bird had a scratch in the headlight where it hit.
Everyone was ok.

From then on we have always called the rider BK..... for bird killer!

·
Registered
304 Posts
That's why I always try to have a windshield. I caught one once myself. I also had a large rock come off a dump truck and take a chunk out of the windshield and my helmet. The windshield took enough energy out of it that it just left a gouge in the helmet. I don't trust the helmet but keep it as a reminder.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I took some kind of southern insect the size of a hummingbird in the helmet the other day, made a **** of a noise but otherwise no harm, no foul. The bug might have a different perspective.

Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow 50 mph! Glad your Ok, that could have caused a crash if it got into your eyes.
After my 1st week of starting to ride again about 8 years ago I had a bee fly into my full face helmet and sting me on the neck!
I thought , Holey crap, is this what riding is going to be like riding in the Adirondack's now? ( no pun intended )
Thankfully it never happened again.

·
Registered
756 Posts
A bird can cause serious eye injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
LOL, Glad you're ok. I can laugh because I had the same thing happen to me.
Running about 70 on 2 lanes with my buddy, fields on both sides, and a CRAP load of birds took off from both sides of the road, slowed down to about 50 for a min until they were all gone, cracked the fun handle and then BAM!!!! everything went dark for what felt like 5 mins. I did a mental reboot, opened my eyes and realized I took a bird to the the head right above my left eye... no helmet!

Of course by buddy, trying to figure what why it looked like "someone took 2 chalk erasers and slapped them together in midair" almost rear ended me!

I pulled over and pull up and asked "what the **** was that?". I could only respond with one word... "BIIIIIIIRD!"

I know I killed it because he had blood all over his bike where it bounced off him. Its a good thing it died or I would have found it and stomped the S#@T outta it!

I can laugh about it now... you see cause I didn't die LOL.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Had a red tailed hawk fly up out of the ditch as I was doing about 60 and cleared my windshield by 6" or less as I ducked down thinking I had him. Thats a big bird and I'm glad we didn't meet, the talons on that thing were huge

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Well good that you're OK considering a bird took out that Harley couple with resulting crash that killed them... and Sully would tell you enough of them can take down an entire jet....

I hit a bird once, something like a chicken crossing the road (to get to the other side, of course...) and he went left, I went right and I thought, good, I'm going to miss him....... only for him to suddenly double back... big mistake on his part.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Oh yeah, birds hurt but at least it wasn't a turkey. Had a few close calls with them over the years.

How'd I miss that you live in Greensburg? So do we. Probably waved at you a few times!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I came close to getting a turkey last year. They are frequent along side the back roads but usually stay put. Didn't realize they don't get airborne very quickly.
Took a robin in the upper fork leg years ago while running full tilt on a 125 (55-60 mph at best). It was a near miss to my leg and caused quite a flinch reaction.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts