GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at Champion of Leesburg yesterday getting some work done on my 06 when they drove in a wing that wasn't running right. Well that was an understatement!!! As soon as they pulled the top shelter off they could see why the bike was very ill! :cry: A beavy of mice had been under there and had a smorgasborg on the entire wiring harness, chewed through a coolant line and had made a beautiful one level condo in the airbox using chewed up air filter for the master bedroom and bath.
They told me that the bike would have to be completly torn down and the entire harness would have to be replaced, then try and find the coolant hose that they got to also.
The wiring harness for a GL1800 is around $1200 plus labor.
What a mess!!!
I wonder if there is any way to prevent this from happening to any of our bikes???

A very sad situation :cry: :cry: :cry:
I'm so glad this wasn't my bike!

Shadow1
Hal

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I keep "Decon", a rodent poison in my garage. It works.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Here is what I did to my intake funnels. I used pieces of aluminum gutter guard and zip ties.

·
Registered
219 Posts
When I started washing my bike the other day there were hundreds of baby spiders (just born) pouring out of my radio area. I sprayed Off bug repellent on them. Between the OFF and water I think I got rid of them. I really didn't think that they could do any damage. Maybe I should pull the top shelter and check. Your post kind scares me.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
As I was pulling the car in to the garage last month I spotted one of the little critters running across the floor. I put some poison out and the next day it had been gobbled up....followed a few days later by the stench of something rotten in the area of my bike. I have to tear it down and have a bad feeling I'm not going to like what I find. :cry:

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Mine doesn't sit long enough for them to get settled.

Was just adding it up last night...I've averaged 2300 miles a month since I bought it. Only 2 long trips of 2k each. The rest riding an average of 2 to 3 days a week, even if for an hour or two :) :) .

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Moth balls....

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
GarageLogic said:
What makes you think mice would sneak into the air box on your bike? I bought my 02 used and here is what I found when I went to inspect / change the air filter.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GordyM/Mice
I saw those pics last year. Moral - never park long term next to a corn silo :D
Hard to believe the bike ran well enough that you didn't have problems riding it home after you bought it.

Stu

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I've got two of these that stay with the bike, don't have any rodent or lizard problems.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
After finding a whole ears worth of maize in the airbox of my SE-i last spring, I now keep mothballs in the fuel cutty, poison blocks in three locations in tha garage and sticky traps in two locations they like to travel through. Used up the first box of sticky traps in the fall and put out fresh ones - they have been untouched since then.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
GarageLogic said:
What makes you think mice would sneak into the air box on your bike? I bought my 02 used and here is what I found when I went to inspect / change the air filter.

That would be great if the Wing was a corn burner :shock:

G

·
With corn right above a hot engine like this...... who doesn't like fresh popcorn?

Gordy

Stu_O said:
GarageLogic said:

I saw those pics last year. Moral - never park long term next to a corn silo :D
Hard to believe the bike ran well enough that you didn't have problems riding it home after you bought it.

Stu

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Soloquest said:
I keep a few of these around. No problem with rodents... or cats. :shock: :lol:

Thats a lot worse to me than a mouse.. besides my wife would never
come back in the house. :?

cosmic

·
Registered
977 Posts
Lewis, if you can afford to spend time with additional 'Hedo sparring', you'll lose your bet?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts