GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If u have read, just bought a brand new 2016 GL1800. It is Gloss black and metallic grey. Always steered clear of black anything but darn, they look sooooo good. Be snooping around for polish, wax, detailer, etc found tons made for black vehicles. this is a brand new bike, well kinda. do i need anything special to clean, shine, keep the black looking good? my '06 was black cherry metallic and was always clean, shiny, well most of the time!!!

Any ideas...

Thanx

Tom

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't use anything special on my 2006. It has 108,000 miles on it and I get told that it looks new all the time.

Congrats on the new bike :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
I am a fan of ceramic coating and have posted about it before. Search for Pearl Nano or Micro-Detailer. Much harder than wax, sheds dirt, repels water, etc. Did my Cherokee, RAM pickup, two Valkyries and the new Goldwing.

There are DIY products available. I hired a professional detailer. He completely detailed with clay bar treatment and paint correction before application of the coating. I'm happy.

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
I couldn't count how many coats of wax that I have on my bike.........EVERYTIME IT RAINS, you can find me out in my garage with headphones on and a can of wax in one hand, and O'yea that ice cold can of beer in the other.....Life is good! I love being retired!

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've owned 1 All-Black Bike, from which I would Never do it again... I had way more Close-Calls on that bike (1996 GSXR-750) than any my other bikes, of lighter colors.

I figured that other drivers could not see me, due to the dark color (including my then-black leathers).

A Headlight Modulator would be your friend :)

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great looking bikes!!! that black is amazing when its all clean, the 3.5 seconds that it is!!! I just wondered if i could just using the detailers that i have been using since it did a great job on my '06 as well. ill wash it frequently and dry. cant recall exactly what wax i used but i know it definately assisted in keeping the color and i only had like 52k when i traded it in... guess ill spend that high class wax stuff $$$ on other stuff, specially for what is held in the other hand, CHEERS!!!

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Well... Big congrats to you!:capwin:

I did the same thing last year. took advantage of a Honda incentive and got my 2016 Level-3 out the door for a little more than $10,000 "under" MSRP.
If you look at their pricing, our Gray-Black was listed for $1000 more than the other colors!

As far as polish and paint. I find that the clear coat is not as hard as my 2005. In fact it's kind of soft. The ceramic coating material that's available may be a good solution, but here is what I have found works for me.
Honda spray cleaner polish. Never liked the Pledge on paint. It seems to break down fast and attracts more dust.
Use a "Clear Coat Safe" rubbing compound on any scratches in the clear coat. USE SPARINGLY!
On wear surfaces I have applied the 3M clear protective film:
Knee to tank area. Fairing sides where my legs contact when using my highway pegs. And any other contact wear areas. This 3M stuff is amazing.

Bottom line the finishes are not as good as before when regulations did not as much effect production paint quality back in the day. But I have been able to keep my 2016 real clean for over a year now.

Oh.... DON"T use paste wax on any of the lower satin Black areas... like the bottom of the saddle bags. This will only leave a chalky film that will be near impossible to get off.

Corventure Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Got the same black and gray bike. Just looking at the black scratches it. I use the Honda spray cleaner and that seems to work best.

Found a bottle of the old Super Polish and am going to try it this spring. It has lots of silicone in it and hides scratches good. Works good on the windshields too.

Barney

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bike looks familiar!!! Love that color. Going to get some of the Honda polish and more if the detailer I use. Can’t tecall if it’s surf city or whatever. Worked well on my ‘06. Ugandan for the infoTom

·
Registered
885 Posts
Three of my past four bikes have been black. I like the look. I don’t mind cleaning my ride. Turn the garage radio on and a favourite beverage nearby. After a ride on any summer day the bike is usually covered in bugs anyways, so a colour isn’t gonna hide that.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Oh.... And get a bundle of Micro-fiber towels from Costco. Never use terry cloth for anything but grease spots!>:)

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
626 Posts
Wax will usually last about 6 weeks. I start the season by putting on a paint conditioner from wolfgang. You can buy it off amazon. This product will usually protect for about 6 months. I put a coat of carnuba wax on top of the conditioner for that deep shine. I do the same on my truck. Saturdays are for work around the house and vehicles. Sunday is for riding.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I've got the same black/gray Wing and I use nothing but Plexus to clean and polish the entire bike except the seat. Plexus is a bit pricey but well worth the extra coin in my opinion.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've got the same black/gray Wing and I use nothing but Plexus to clean and polish the entire bike except the seat. Plexus is a bit pricey but well worth the extra coin in my opinion.
What he said nothing but Plexus! Just sold my Black 06 ST1300 looked just as good as the day I bought it used Plexus and microfiber towels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts