GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a little bit of American Thunder on tv the other day. They had some company on there that was doing what they called black chrome. I can't help but think how good those black chrome wheels would look on my white 06 wing. Is anyone here familiar with this black chrome stuff?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I have seen it on things like crash bars, and other accessories, but not on wheels. It is really good looking stuff. I bet a Black Chrome wheel would look some good. The bars that I saw looked like a new gun barrel. It does show dirt and grime real fast too, but looks good when clean.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Black chrome?

I haven't heard anyone refer to it as black chrome, but Victory offers a bike with blacked out stuff that normally would be chromed.
I have used their "pre-order" site to customize a Kingpin. They allow you add options to a bike and provide a picture of that bike that shows everything you wanted on it.
I personally don't care for chrome, but I really liked the blacked out look on the motor, "diamond cut", and billet wheels.

Here is some info that I got off of the web.

Anoplate Black Chrome is a wear-resistant black finish used in military, aerospace, automotive, and other applications where a deep black is desired. Anoplate Black Chrome coatings meet the requirements of MIL-C-14538 and of various industry specifications. Selected both for its functional and decorative properties, it has numerous applications including :1. Military night sights2. Low light-reflectance components3. Optical guidance system devices4. Automotive buttons and knobs5. Avionic Fasteners and controls6. Medical diagnostic instruments Black chrome is wear resistant, highly solal absorbed and has Good thermal stability, Low infrared emissivity and a Pleasing black cosmetic finish. For more information, call 315-471-6143.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Yamaha did a lot of development of black chrome for the midnight special 1100. My son-in-law had one that had been stored poorly, and almost all of the black chrome was gone from the pipes. I think it had gold anodized wheels, gold plated plastic, and black chrome pipes. All three looked awful.

I have not seen black chome on aluminum, only steel. I am sure it can be done on aluminum, just may need more preparatory platings.

A kid at church had car wheels black chromed, but they didn't do it long enough and the wheels just ended up smoky looking. I liked it, though.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Here's a company that does black chrome on car and motorcycle parts. They have a toll free number if you have any questions. I understand it is not an easy process and many chrome plating companies cannot or do not offer black chrome plating.
http://www.advancedplating.com/

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Hardway. Good info .I will study this. I can't keep this picture out of my head. White wing,black chrome. My hair is also chrome colored. I probably should do it too. :D

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I have a black chrome Vega helmet...tried to find another but they stopped making them. would also love more stuff like it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts