GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking at some of the photos of members bikes, some of them have the visible portions of the frames black. Other than stripping the bike and powder coating, how is this being done?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Mine isn't Black ,but looks like it is. It is actually Charcoal. I used rattle can spray automotive paint found in any Auto Store. When I had the top shelter off I taped off the frame up about 2 inches from being seen, then prepped it by sanding the frame with 100 lightly, then 400 wet/dry. Tape it all off and cover with news paper, and lightly paint in layers until color is reached. Sand again lightly after drying and repaint lightly. Then I have 5 coats of clear (Rattle can) applied in a similar manor. Prepping the frame is the key. I did this three years ago and no cracking or flaking so far.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the colored frame panels and I had all the parts (both plastic and metal) that I could take off, painted black. The valve covers have several coats of high heat black and clear paint on them and the other metal parts and wheels were powder coated.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I have the colored frame panels and I had all the parts (both plastic and metal) that I could take off, painted black. The valve covers have several coats of high heat black and clear paint on them and the other metal parts and wheels were powder coated.
That is sharp!

Hector

1 - 5 of 5 Posts