GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part #14 on this parts diagram.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=150555&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2002&fveh=3498

On the bottom side of this piece, where the two screws go through, mine has 2 milky white spacers, a little less than a 1/4" tall on the bottom side.

The mechanic at my dealer says these spacers don't exist. My bike has them. I can't see the bottom of that piece on the parts diagram, so I can't tell by it, if they are there or not.

Did someone else add these spacers to my bike? I did buy it used with 3,700 miles, so it is possible.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Spacers

Does the bike have handlebar risers? I know when I put mine on it came with some spacers and longer screws.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That might explain why my mechanic is telling me that the spacers don't exist.... someone else has added them along the way.

It may very well have handlebar risers on it. I know I haven't put any on it.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I added spacers when installing my handlebar risers.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey guys,
Can any of you tell me what is required to get that black plactic cover off? I have an '07 Premium/Comfort/Navi and I've tried to figure out how to remove that cover but can't. I have taken the meter panel cover off, but after that I'm lost. The screws are visible but are just obstructed enough to not be able to reach them.

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Hey guys,
Can any of you tell me what is required to get that black plactic cover off? I have an '07 Premium/Comfort/Navi and I've tried to figure out how to remove that cover but can't. I have taken the meter panel cover off, but after that I'm lost. The screws are visible but are just obstructed enough to not be able to reach them.

Any help would be appreciated!

Same problem, was able to work them with a small phillips at an angle. Not the greatest way, but effective.

·
Registered
171 Posts
screw access

I drilled a hole just over the screw to access it with a screw driver...looks fine and keeps you from mangling the screw...mine was VERY tight. After putting on risers at a later date, I just left the plastic piece off. Can anyone think of a sound, functional reason for this piece?....does it protect something or is it strictly cosmetic?

·
Registered
194 Posts
You have a PM.
Got it. Thanks BigMick, I'll give it a try next time I'm in there. I thought it was just me having a hard time with that thing. Guess not...

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
It's cosmetic and I too left mine off after riser install. I don't mind seeing the fork caps.

I used a pre-bent phillips screwdriver to loosen/remove mine.

CAUTION!!!!!

DO NOT DROP ONE OF THOSE SCREWS....IT CAN GET INTO THE STEERING NECK AND JAM STEERING AT BOTTOM AGAINST THE FORK CLAMP. STUFF THE AREA WITH RAGS OR WHATEVER YOU HAVE. TRUST ME!!!!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
I drilled a hole just over the screw to access it with a screw driver...looks fine and keeps you from mangling the screw...mine was VERY tight. After putting on risers at a later date, I just left the plastic piece off. Can anyone think of a sound, functional reason for this piece?....does it protect something or is it strictly cosmetic?
:agree: mine is colecting dust.....somewhere.......i'll find it a year or 2 from now...........useless....... made my wing top heavy :joke:

·
Registered
116 Posts
screw driver

I bought a screw driver set from Sears for just that. It is a ratcheting wrench that accepts the screw driver bits flat or Phillips, and the bits come with it. Works like a charm and only a few bucks. Have used it a lot in areas you can not get a screw driver on. You can also use other bits for different fasteners.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts