GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I've flushed the clutch fluid (using Honda brand hydraulic fluid), I've noticed a black slimy substance in the bottom of the reservoir includng when I had a Valkyrie. I clean it out but it seems unusual. Is it common? Does anyone know what this is from? Is it "normal." Is it harmful?

Thanks.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
chuck_b24 said:
Goldwingfreak said:
It's normal, don't worry about it.
+1 wipe it out with brake cleaner ...chuck
Just make sure all "Brake Cleaner" is wiped out and dried completely!

I wouldn't advise it though. Brake cleaner is not for the inside of a sealed hydraulic system. It's for removing brake dust and accumulated crud from external brake components.

Bradford

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Works really well doing that.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
You are waiting too long beteen flushes. Get that dirty fluid out of there before it starts creating black crud. Are you using NEW fluid each time, not the same bottle thats been on the shelf for 3 years? What I did my 1st time is use some Qtips. They work great for rubbing it around and soaking it up.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm assuming that the Honda brand hydraulic fluid is DOT 4, although I haven't looked at the bottle.

The first flush was at 15,000 miles (about 15 months from new); the 2nd time at 24,300 miles (about 6 months later).

I use fluid only from a new, sealed bottle.

Neither of the brake reservoirs have this black crud in them.

After using a turkey baster to suck out as much of the crud as I could, I used Q-tips, too. Cleans up pretty well without using any other cleaners.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I go to the vet and get a big syringe for large animals and put a small hose on the end of it and crack bleeder loose and put hose here to suck new fluid through the line and calipers , then bleed air out by using pump it up crack bleeder loose method. it's a cheap my-t vac method

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
The reason why there is more black crud in the clutch fuid reservoir than the brake lever reservoir is that the clutch is used many times more than the brake, hence the excess crud. Very common. Even if you change it more often, you'll still see more crud or more fluid discoloration in the clutch reservoir.

Ride safely,

Mike T.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts