GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here had their rotor carriers (hub/spokes) powder coated black as shown in this photo? I'm just trying to find out if it can be done successfully. (This photo is just a Photoshop version of items I'm considering powder coating.)

Here's my concern: with the GL's semi-floating rotors, will the PC on the carriers prevent them from floating? Perhaps the trick is to mask off 1/16" or so, so that there isn't any PC touching the round "buttons."

Suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Vendor
18,148 Posts
The rotors in the photo are not black. Yes you can have your rotors powder coated if you bikes brakes are never used as in making a Wing a show Wing and never riding it. For fuctional rotors (or a fuctional braking system), anything other then a bare metal finish will not work.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rotors in the photo are not black. Yes you can have your rotors powder coated if you bikes brakes are never used as in making a Wing a show Wing and never riding it. For fuctional rotors (or a fuctional braking system), anything other then a bare metal finish will not work.
Allow me to clarify...rotor spokes/hub. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
I'm looking at your picture and I don't see that the rotors are powder coated. And you can't powder coat them anyway, at least not the surface that comes into contact with the brake calipers.

Powder coating the wheels is no big deal as shown in your picture. Mine are.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Am I the only one that can read that this man does not want to power coat the rotor disc just the inner hub that mounts the disc. Are am I not reading correctly?

·
Registered
335 Posts
:agree::popcorn:

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
God bless you!
Prepare yourself. It gets worse.

Yes, you can. I did mine, but only painted the rotor inners and did not put on PC there. You can get amazing results with Rustoleum Hammered Black put on with a brush. The more texture the better. Sorry, don't have a pic except for my Valkyrie which has the cutouts painted with hammered after being powder coated clear on a high polish aluminum wheel. Many of the guys in our Valkyrie group did the black PC thing....

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Prepare yourself. It gets worse.

Yes, you can. I did mine, but only painted the rotor inners and did not put on PC there. You can get amazing results with Rustoleum Hammered Black put on with a brush. The more texture the better. Sorry, don't have a pic except for my Valkyrie which has the cutouts painted with hammered after being powder coated clear on a high polish aluminum wheel. Many of the guys in our Valkyrie group did the black PC thing....
If I read you right, brushing them gives them a textured look. If I want a smooth look, PC may be the way to go. (?) I'm concerned about the PC (or paint for that matter) gumming up the GL's semi-floating function of the rotors. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
73 Posts
A little explanation

The outer ring, the metalic shiney one, is the rotor or disk.
The inner supporting area is the carrier.
The huge rivets with the holes in the centers, that attach the carrier with the rotor are the buttons.

Just thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The outer ring, the metalic shiney one, is the rotor or disk.
The inner supporting area is the carrier.
The huge rivets with the holes in the centers, that attach the carrier with the rotor are the buttons.

Just thought I would mention it.
I appreciate it! Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts