GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing the brake fluid for the first time I came across the two different size bleeders on the calipers. Using a Mity Vac and the right angle adapter worked good on the larger bleeder but the smaller one would not seal. I went to NAPA and got a hose that fit tight around the nipple but it still leaked air. Thinking it was coming around the threads I closed the bleeder and bubbles still came through. Apparently the hose doesn't have good enough grip to keep the air out but I need something flexible to get to the top right caliper bleeder. What do you use on the smaller bleeders?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I had the same problem and never got it to work very well. I now have a check valve on a piece of hose I put on the bleeder and pump the handle the old fashion way

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I bought a bleeding system for MC's like the Mity Vac. It did not work on the Wing. The seller said I could send it back because they do not work effectively on the Wing. I kept it to suck out the anti-freeze in the overflow resivoir(pardon spelling). Next time I will buy the speed bleeders.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
brake bleeding

Get yourself a "motion pro". Its just two pieces of tubing with a check valve in the middle. Makes 1 person brake and clutch bleeding a snap.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
SPEED BLEEDERS all the way.. Makes changing fluids an easy job. Takes longer getting ready than doing the job. That is getting the bottle of new fluid, a container to catch the fluid in, the lid off the reservoir and hooking up the hose to the bleeder screw. And all the bleeders are the same 10mm nut size. Of course taking what ever off to get to the bleeder screws, sometimes a little of a pia like the clutch.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Speed Bleeders!

Are the answer... Just replaced the OEM's with Speed Bleeders. That's all I needed other than fresh fluid; didn't even need any help. Well worth the few $$$.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Get yourself a "motion pro". Its just two pieces of tubing with a check valve in the middle. Makes 1 person brake and clutch bleeding a snap.:thumbup:
I heard you have to prime this. Not something I want to do. If you are only doing the Wing, speed bleeders are the way to go. No priming, just open and squeeze. If you get a new Wing just put the old valves back on.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I got tired of the mighty mite long ago, and now use a pressure bleeder.

I simply use a long piece of clear tygon tubing I got at lowes. Just stick the end of it on the bleed fitting and if it gets worn just snip off half an inch and you have a new end.

As for those air bubbles, do not worry about them, that is normal with any vacuum bleeder as air does get into the waste line around the tubing.

If you want to make a mess, you can use some kind of white grease or Vaseline around the tube to stop the bubbles, but just makes a mess.

I do not worry about those little bubbles.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
SPEED BLEEDERS all the way.. Makes changing fluids an easy job. Takes longer getting ready than doing the job. That is getting the bottle of new fluid, a container to catch the fluid in, the lid off the reservoir and hooking up the hose to the bleeder screw. And all the bleeders are the same 10mm nut size. Of course taking what ever off to get to the bleeder screws, sometimes a little of a pia like the clutch.
:thumbup:
Are the answer... Just replaced the OEM's with Speed Bleeders. That's all I needed other than fresh fluid; didn't even need any help. Well worth the few $$$.
Speed Bleeders & Shinhopples http://www.shinhopples.com/ can't go wrong with either one :thumbup:
:agree:

I have them on both bikes and can't imagine being without.

When I ordered my Speed Bleeders about 3 1/2 years ago, I also bought the tube & collection bag. Worked great.
By this year the collection bag had a crack, so I just used a mason jar. But the tubing is still flexible.

So easy that I almost laugh while while I'm bleeding!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts