GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I loaded the bike on a U-Haul motorcycle trailer in NY and made the 2-day trip to Charlotte. I drove the U-Haul 20-footer, towing the wife's Explorer on a car hauler, and she drove the F-150 towing the bike.

Because there's no actual chock on the U-Haul trailer (just a slot for the front tire), I cinched the front forks down further than I wanted to. Too much compression of the suspension risked the ratchet straps falling out of the soft ties or the D-rings, and I knew I was risking the fork seals, but it was better than what might happen if the bike got loose.

Everything was OK for most of the ride, but somewhere in North Carolina the fork seal blew, or at least I'm assuming it did based on the clear oil dripping off the front brake caliper and puddling on the floor. :rolleyes:

Now I need a recommendation for a good shop to take the bike to. I don't have the facilities to self-repair at the moment.

Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Schroader's Honda in Hendersonville. (near Ashville)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I would clean it up and see if it did indeed “blow a seal”. I’ve had leakage that was what turned out to be a one time event. Once cleaned up never seen another drop.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
With the forks compressed and then you hit a large pot hole on top of that, the seals can go. I have towed 2 different wings probably 30,000 or 40,000 miles over the years on a 10' tilt utility trailer. I never had a wheel chock. I have a wooden block that I have padded with layers of old carpet. I slide it under the engine block before I start strapping down the front end. This allows limited pressure on the fork seals. I also run a short strop through the front wheel and around the front cross bar of the trailer. Bike cant go backwards. Only need to put enough tension on front strops to keep them tight and bike upright. Ten years and no problems.

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I have a wooden block that I have padded with layers of old carpet. I slide it under the engine block before I start strapping down the front end. This allows limited pressure on the fork seals.
That's a good idea :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I second Schroaders, they are closed on Saturday and open on Sunday 9-3 I think.

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts
I loaded the bike on a U-Haul motorcycle trailer in NY and made the 2-day trip to Charlotte. I drove the U-Haul 20-footer, towing the wife's Explorer on a car hauler, and she drove the F-150 towing the bike.

Because there's no actual chock on the U-Haul trailer (just a slot for the front tire), I cinched the front forks down further than I wanted to. Too much compression of the suspension risked the ratchet straps falling out of the soft ties or the D-rings, and I knew I was risking the fork seals, but it was better than what might happen if the bike got loose.

Everything was OK for most of the ride, but somewhere in North Carolina the fork seal blew, or at least I'm assuming it did based on the clear oil dripping off the front brake caliper and puddling on the floor. :rolleyes:

Now I need a recommendation for a good shop to take the bike to. I don't have the facilities to self-repair at the moment.

Any and all suggestions welcome and appreciated.
At least Schroader's are very familiar with Goldwings. As suggested I would start with them.

Just curious....Is the F150 a 3.5 TT EB? That is what mine is that is in my aviator.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Agree

Schroader's is GREAT! Saved my bacon on my last trip out east.

Reactions: tamathumper

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At least Schroader's are very familiar with Goldwings. As suggested I would start with them.

Just curious....Is the F150 a 3.5 TT EB? That is what mine is that is in my aviator.
It's the 2.7 TT EB, amazing get-up-and-go, and it tows anything I could with my 5.4L and 7.4L motors with much better mileage to boot. The 6.0L F-250 PowerStroke had more grunt, but that motor was the unholy love child of Satan and Pandora.

Reactions: Boomer1832cc
1 - 9 of 9 Posts