GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought my 2012 ABS in September of 18 it had HIDS bulbs in the head lights...the low beams went out so I replaced them with LED low and high beams. The low beams are shooting down the road way to far and lighting up the freeway over head signs here in So Cal at least a 1/4 mile down the road. I have my adjustment all the way down and I continue to have a few people flash there lights at me. Is this normal with HID bulbs, I bought these from wingstuff vendor. Do these have a specific orientation that they Need to be installed.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I HAD H.I.D.'s in the low beams only and never got flashed. I would recommend not using H.I.D.'s on the high beams because they take time to warm up and actually work in the temperature range where they're designed. So, what I'm trying to say is if you need to "flash" your brights, the outcome could be less than desirable. I would recommend using LED's on the high beams instead of H.I.D.'s. I know, you already went through the investment in time and purchasing, but you may want to rethink this. Not all H.I.D.'s are created equal, and you may have something that places the light kernel in the wrong place in the reflector and it makes too much "scatter" light. I have LED'S from Electrical Connection in the low beams and they're as good as the H.I.D's as far as laying down the light on the road. Very pleased with them.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
What version of HID's do you have? I have So-CAL's plug and play in my 2010 and only the "color" gives any hint that they are not H7's for proper aiming. The arc location inside the bulb when placed inside the holder will make all the difference in being always blinding or properly adjusted. My bulbs are a short vertical arc (bulb held up) at the same level of the virtical filament of a standard H7. I have never seen or tried other versions. Lower, raise, or lengthen that arc in the glass and it blows all potential of properly aiming the bulb.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just reread my post... what I meant to say is I replaced my HIDS with LEDs, I apologize for the mix up.

·
IronMan
17,631 Posts
i just reread my post... What i meant to say is i replaced my hids with leds, i apologize for the mix up.
what !!! Theres also adjustment on lite housing up on back of it . I had to turn mine all the way down also there plus on dash . My leds are called p 9 's really brite !!

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
They're too darn bright and installed in housings that weren't designed for them. The housings were designed for halogen bulbs - which are plenty bright. :serious:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
LED's have the "spot of light" in the wrong place and there is almost no way of fixing that without re-designing the headlight fixture to create that required by law "cut-off" line to avoid blinding everyone in front of you. I have made riders that wanted to be last in the group ride in front of me because of LED's in the low beams once it got dark. The only person I know that still has LED's in the low beams only rides when the sun is up, and that is his choice. The two others that tried LED"s have gone back to OEM type bulbs for low beams.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
LED's have the "spot of light" in the wrong place and there is almost no way of fixing that without re-designing the headlight fixture to create that required by law "cut-off" line to avoid blinding everyone in front of you. I have made riders that wanted to be last in the group ride in front of me because of LED's in the low beams once it got dark. The only person I know that still has LED's in the low beams only rides when the sun is up, and that is his choice. The two others that tried LED"s have gone back to OEM type bulbs for low beams.
Glad I'm not the only one. I have two friends with them and I refuse to ride in front of them day OR night. Let them drive each other nuts. :lol:

·
Vendor
17,794 Posts
Do these have a specific orientation that they Need to be installed.
Center stand it up against a garage door. Turn the adjusters 2 full turns CCW and retest.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
When I bought my 2012 ABS in September of 18 it had HIDS bulbs in the head lights...the low beams went out so I replaced them with HIDS, low and high beams. The low beams are shooting down the road way to far and lighting up the freeway over head signs here in So Cal at least a 1/4 mile down the road. I have my adjustment all the way down and I continue to have a few people flash there lights at me. Is this normal with HID bulbs, I bought these from wingstuff vendor. Do these have a specific orientation that they Need to be installed.
Do you have 35w or 55w. You can just change the wiring harness with a 35w one will help.
If you are running a car tire low profile your light will not adjust correctly. Also would check that the bulb is seated correctly. I have run hids for years and get flashed now and then.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ll recheck to make sure I have them installed correct...but I’m pretty sure they are. I’ll give it ago on adjusting in the horizontal plan farther down.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Sur48, where do you get that information, that a car tire won't allow your headlights to adjust properly? All of the sizes commonly used make almost no difference in the height/attitude of the bike. In fact most used will raise the rear of the bike, but not nearly enough to not be able to adjust for it. The aspect ratio is just a part of measuring it's ride height.

Richard

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok...I’ve adjusted them down farther. I put up a tape line where the light was hitting my RV and adjusted them down about 1” or more. I left room for my button adjustment to be able make any other adjustments. Will see how it goes on Monday morning when I’m headed to work.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Road to work this morning and the adjustments manually done made a big difference, I no longer light op the freeway overhead signage lol. I had to Max out the manual adjustment down to make these HID bulbs work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts