GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on the way to Ocala, I noticed that my right turn signal indicator on the dash was brighter and faster than normal. I could see reflection on the road that my rear light was flashing, but I held my hand in front of the right rear view mirror and there was no flash to the front of the bike. In fact, the running light was off while the turn signal switch was activated, but no flashing. When I released the turn signal switch to neutral, the running light came back on.

Of course, I was certain that the bulb had blown.

On the way back, the same thing was happening, but suddenly it started working again. Then it quit working again, then it started working again.

Now, sitting in the garage, I cannot get it to not work correctly. So, as we know, if it's working the dealer will not be able to fix it.

Any ideas????????

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Either a partial blown bulb or a bad socket.

I would place my money on a partial bad bulb. You could take it out and check the contacts on the back of the bulb. May have some corrosion on it. Just rub with a nail file to make better contact and try it again. If not, just replace the bulb, may be an 1157 dual element bulb.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
800 Posts
Jan, I had that same problem with my left signal, it would work and then wouldn't. I changed the bulb and had same results. I found the wire had gotten pinched just inside the fairing under the rubber boot. I pushed the mirror housing forward, removed the boot and moved the wires to un-kink them and that solved my issue. Haven't had any problems since, hope thats all it is for you.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I had the same problem with my 06 airbag model. I took off the mirror thinking I had a bad bulb. but when I touched the connector it started working. I made sure the connector was plugged in good I put it back in, and it worked fine. On the 06 the bulb is not a regular 1157 it is the new style that has a connector like some of the old flashbulbs had.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same problem with my 06 airbag model. I took off the mirror thinking I had a bad bulb. but when I touched the connector it started working. I made sure the connector was plugged in good I put it back in, and it worked fine. On the 06 the bulb is not a regular 1157 it is the new style that has a connector like some of the old flashbulbs had.
MIne is an 06 airbag model as well. Where is the connector you tightened? Do I have to pull the mirror? Or, are you talking about the connector where the bulb fits into the bulb holder?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Jan, if you push the mirror housing forward and pull back the boot, you'll see the wire and connector. My wire was bent at the connector, it's been a while and I forgot about the connector as Okie stated. You'll see the wire coming out of the mirror into the fairing, you may have to pull it a bit to get to the connector. I didn't have to pull the mirror.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Runnig light

The running light always turn off when the blinker is on. This gives the blinker more contrast so that it gets more attention than if the running light stayed on while blinking.
RogerB

·
Registered
609 Posts
you might wan to order bulb from Hal as the dearler charged me almost $7.00 for the stupid looking bulb!
come to find out the brake light plug(inside of black boot under the trunk) had come lose when I installed an extra flashing strobe brake light on stop light wires circuit
edmund

·
Registered
148 Posts
MPTitian06 is right you probably don't have to take the one screw out that takes the mirror out, but I had already done that to change the bulb. Mine was a lose connection in the wiring pigtail right inside the fairing. Hope this helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts