GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the same problem others have discussed on this forum, a blinking yellow hill hold light on a 2018/Tour. Have had the micro switch replaced. Light still blinks. Has anyone discovered a solution to the problem. Honda’s suggested solution is to replace the switch. This has evidently worked on some but by no means all. Any help appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,573 Posts
With my bike the dealer replaced the clutch switch at first, but the HSA light was still flashing. Then the cruise control, front and rear brake switches were also replaced and that fixed the problem. I have ridden thru two tanks of fuel since the fix and all is working as it should.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, did the dealer say which switch actually resolved the issue? Thanks again for the information. The blinking light is really a distraction.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,573 Posts
Thanks, did the dealer say which switch actually resolved the issue? Thanks again for the information. The blinking light is really a distraction.
No the dealer didn't tell me exactly which switch fixed the issue. all I was told was that a new clutch switch didn't fix the problem and then Honda told them to replace the other switches too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
There is also another thread on here about the same issue. And thanks to those who have been updating with the work done on their bikes. Note - mine has not been in to have this issue looked at yet..... Mine did the flashing in August and then didn't do it again for 4 months. So as far as I'm concerned it may take a while before the issue is REALLY fixed for good on a bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
With my bike the dealer replaced the clutch switch at first, but the HSA light was still flashing. Then the cruise control, front and rear brake switches were also replaced and that fixed the problem. I have ridden thru two tanks of fuel since the fix and all is working as it should.
Mine is in the shop as I write this for the 5th or 6th time trying to fix this HSA light issue. They are doing what your shop did Roadie (replacing all 4 micro switches 2 brake, cruise control and HSA) If that doesn't do the trick, the ABS module is next. My dealer shop manager says they are getting more support from Honda on this issue, which means a good number of the 6 speeds are having the issue.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,573 Posts
Mine is in the shop as I write this for the 5th or 6th time trying to fix this HSA light issue. They are doing what your shop did Roadie (replacing all 4 micro switches 2 brake, cruise control and HSA) If that doesn't do the trick, the ABS module is next. My dealer shop manager says they are getting more support from Honda on this issue, which means a good number of the 6 speeds are having the issue.
I hope replacing all the switches fixes the issue with your bike like it did with mine. Lets us all know how things work out

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hope replacing all the switches fixes the issue with your bike like it did with mine. Lets us all know how things work out
As of last Thursday they had put 112 miles on it at the dealership w/ no light. We agreed to them getting another 150 miles on it before I pick it back up... So far, so good = No HSA light flashing

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,573 Posts
As of last Thursday they had put 112 miles on it at the dealership w/ no light. We agreed to them getting another 150 miles on it before I pick it back up... So far, so good = No HSA light flashing
Wow that is a lot of miles your dealer is putting on your bike. My dealer took mine out for a 30 miles test ride after replacing the switches. I've rode the bike through two tanks of fuel since then when the weather has allowed and all is well so far.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wow that is a lot of miles your dealer is putting on your bike. My dealer took mine out for a 30 miles test ride after replacing the switches. I've rode the bike through two tanks of fuel since then when the weather has allowed and all is well so far.
Thats because I want them too. They"fixed" it before, put 50 miles on it, and I didn't get out of the parking lot. Last time they put 100 miles on it. It took almost 900 miles before it started flashing again. If it stays off after 200 miles I'll try owning it again :) The dealership is 2 hrs away.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I wouldn't get too excited about going through 2 tanks of fuel.... I went 4 months. However I have not had anything changed at this point. The bike can go quite a while and then the flashing starts up again.... Roadie and Greenham please keep the group updated. Also note that I have had the light flash with a creamy white colour as well as the flashing amber colour. No idea what the difference is.... My opinion is that Honda has no idea what the issue is and they are grasping at straws hoping it will just go away.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mine really seems to be affected but the outdoor temperature. Today was into the low 80's and the flashing started up 4 times today. If I parked in the shade it didn't flash when driving. If I parked in the sun it would start flashing right away. Hope someone on here comes up with a definite fix. Disappointed that Honda doesn't seem to be able to resolve 100% for sure....

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,573 Posts
Mine really seems to be affected but the outdoor temperature. Today was into the low 80's and the flashing started up 4 times today. If I parked in the shade it didn't flash when driving. If I parked in the sun it would start flashing right away. Hope someone on here comes up with a definite fix. Disappointed that Honda doesn't seem to be able to resolve 100% for sure....
I read in a few posts above that you havn't taken your bike in to the dealer to get this issue fixed yet...what are you waiting for?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Mine just started doing this today. Didn't do it this morning on the way to work, but did while headed out to lunch and back. Awesome.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My 2018 GWT6 started experiencing this issue after about 5,000 miles. One clutch micro-switch was replaced (not sure which one), problem returned after 500 miles. Second switch was replaced, along with the clutch assembly (lever, reservoir, etc.) as Honda wanted to examine those parts. All work done under warranty, sitting at about 8,000 miles now with no issues.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My 2018 GWT6 started experiencing this issue after about 5,000 miles. One clutch micro-switch was replaced (not sure which one), problem returned after 500 miles. Second switch was replaced, along with the clutch assembly (lever, reservoir, etc.) as Honda wanted to examine those parts. All work done under warranty, sitting at about 8,000 miles now with no issues.
My 2018 GW Tour started blinking at 200 miles, on a highway doing 65mph back in March 2019, outside temp about 70 degrees. I took an exit, turned the bike off, restarted and the light went out. Later I called dealer and the service manager contacted Honda. The Service Manager said Honda was aware of the problem, but did not have a solution suggesting a few things to check and "see what happens". I live over 100 miles from a dealer so we decided to see if it reoccurs and I'd bring it in when serviced.

The light didn't come on again until we were on a recent 4,200 mile trip. Same scenario as the first time, highway speed and about 70 degrees outside. Turned the bike off, re-started the GW and it didn't reappear. Just took the bike in for service, I'll share what they say after completion. I think the long and short of it is Honda has no definitive idea as to why it is occurring.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have the same problem others have discussed on this forum, a blinking yellow hill hold light on a 2018/Tour. Have had the micro switch replaced. Light still blinks. Has anyone discovered a solution to the problem. Honda’s suggested solution is to replace the switch. This has evidently worked on some but by no means all. Any help appreciated. Thanks
Dealer fixed my blinking HSA 2,000 miles ago. Don't know which, or how many, switches they replaced. Blinking HSA has not returned. NOTE - I had the blinking HSA for many miles before I got it in to the dealer. With my bike, the front brakes were continuously ON and prematurely wore down the pads. Honda replaced the brakes under warranty too.

Taking bike in for 20k service tomorrow, will ask if they have record of which switch(es) were replaced. If they do, will report back on forum.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Just got mine fixed and they replaced the micro switches in the clutch and front brake. Hopefully that is the end of blinking HSA

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
What's the problem? It is covered by warranty at no cost. Get it fixed!

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
432 Posts
I read in a few posts above that you havn't taken your bike in to the dealer to get this issue fixed yet...what are you waiting for?
My issue with getting it resolved was the 3 hour distance to the dealer. I finally got this done early June. They replaced both micro switches at the clutch lever. Before I got them replaced - the last time it flashed was early April in Florida. As I had said previously - mine only did the flashing when the temp outdoors was in the high 80's or hotter. So since returning from Florida - extreme heat was not an issue by the time I got them replaced. Anyway .... mine has not flashed now since early April in Florida and has not flashed in Ontario since the dealer change. Even in extreme heat indicated on the bike temp gauge. It has read in the 40's C a couple of times and previously would have flashed for sure. The mileage is about 6,000 km's since flashing. So I would say the switches at the clutch lever are the most common culprit but if that doesn't resolve then move on to the micro switches at the brakes.....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts