GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are using a Blackberry (and there seems to be a lot of us out here now), I have been using Blip GPS tracking (while traveling both on and off of my bike) for about a year now and both my family and I like it a lot. Its a free download app and works just like it says it will.

I can turn it on and off as I see fit, as well as change settings regarding the timing of blips etc.... and I can add whomever I want to, to track my locations. When I have it turned on, my family can track me in real time on the internet, whenever they feel so inclined.

My wife passed a couple of years ago (damned cancer) and at times my family has been concerned for my safety when I would (and probably always will) take off for a few days at a time, just riding. Sometimes I know where I'll be and sometimes I just take a notion to change direction and go where the front of the Wing is pointed at any given time. Now, I just let one of them know what my general plans are and then turn it on when I hit the road.

This is a win/win situation. My family can track my whereabouts (when I allow them to), keeping them happy and giving me some peace of mind knowing that my family is concerned for my welfare, watching after me.... and it doesn't cost us a thing.

Here are some links, if you are interested in having a look. http://www.phonemag.com/blip-gps-social-networking-tracking-app-for-blackberry-031949.php for some info about the system, http://www.blacklinegps.com/ for Blip, and http://www.blacklinegps.com/consumer-personal-blip.html for Blip Plus.

·
Registered
663 Posts
not being an owner of a Blackberry, how does the information from the app get from the 'berry to the internet? Isn't that "usage" or data sent from the 'berry to the phone company? Won't that incur a cost?

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
your data usage is usually in an "unlimited" data package when you get the internet. Especially helpful if you do all your e-mail through it (I have at least 8 e-mail accounts coming to mine). So, there wouldn't be an extra charge.

My problem would be battery life. I don't like to keep mine in the pocket on charge. I have profiles setup on mine for different days and who I'm expecting calls from. So, I keep it on my hip so I know when it's ringing. I have 3 batteries (2 extra life and the original standard life). so, I don't want to kill any more battery life than needed. I know Blue tooth and the GPS functions suck the battery dry, quick.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know what you mean about battery life. I set the blips for a couple of hours (instead of the default 15 minutes) and my battery last longer. I have 4 Email accounts tied to my Curve, but I don't get too many/day, especially if I'm not working. I don't carry extra batteries, but still get a full day's use without losing power (your power needs may vary).

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I must be missing something. I can't figure out how to configure this thing. There's nothing on my blackberry that let's me configure once I'm in the app and the website actually kind of sucks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its been so long since I set mine up, so I don't remember the configuration details. You can change your tracking timing options by left clicking and scrolling to "Publish Option" and you can add friends to track you by scrolling to "Share to a Friend".

I haven't worried much about how good or bad the tracking website is, as I don't have to do the checking! My family hasn't complained to me.... so far.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
I'm trying it on a Blackberry 9530 Storm, and while I don't mean to be negative, this application is everything I've come to expect from free software - and less.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I'm trying it on a Blackberry 9530 Storm, and while I don't mean to be negative, this application is everything I've come to expect from free software - and less.
I was looking at their "tutorial" and nothing they have on there is on my blackberry (Pearl) or on the web page. Hell, I've been in the technology field for longer than I like to remember and I can't figure it out. haha

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm sorry guys, that this app is not what you may have expected. All I know is that it has given my family some peace of mind, knowing where I am when I'm off having fun on my own for days at a time. It works for us.

Sooooo.... if you're looking for something that is leading edge.... I guess you shouldn't go here!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
looks like HEDO's bike ....nice and black!!!!
Thanks Superjett, its just a work in progress. I kinda like the stealth look.... and the wheels are soooo much easier to keep clean, now that they are powder coated.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
I'm sorry guys, that this app is not what you may have expected. All I know is that it has given my family some peace of mind, knowing where I am when I'm off having fun on my own for days at a time. It works for us.

Sooooo.... if you're looking for something that is leading edge.... I guess you shouldn't go here!!
I like challenges. When I have spare time, it gives me something to fiddle with. All is good. If I figure something out, I'll try to find this thread again and post up here.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I must be missing something. I can't figure out how to configure this thing. There's nothing on my blackberry that let's me configure once I'm in the app and the website actually kind of sucks.
Sean, lemme guess.. You have Verizon... :coffee1:
They have thier own product and they disable the GPS functions on thier phones unless you pay them..
The Pearl may not have the GPS chip built in.. I know it's bigger, but you migh want to consider a Curve.. Lot's more memory and V4.5 of the firmware absolutely rocks!!

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
YUP! I have VZW. But, the last I read, it should still be good on here. Plus, it's through our corp BES and our bberry department is good at "unlocking" things. I have the GPS option on mine and it's worked with google maps to pinpoint my position. I've been holding out on a Storm until I figure out if I still have a job.

·
5,533 Posts
Greetings!

I'm not trying to discount anyone's successful use and enjoyment of the product. But as far as the Storm (9530) version goes, all I'm saying is that the existing code does not run very well at all on this platform.

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
oh lovely. that thing has enough of it's own internal issues. I hear more and more apps don't work on it too. I love technology, but I hate some of the headaches that come with it.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Greetings!

I'm not trying to discount anyone's successful use and enjoyment of the product. But as far as the Storm (9530) version goes, all I'm saying is that the existing code does not run very well at all on this platform.
I've played with the Storm and was not really impressed.. It seems to take a lot of pressure on the screen to select (which could be a benefit compared to the Apple) There's lots of things to go wrong on that phone and other than 3g there's nothing in it other than the "real" web browser (that you get with the v4.5 firmware).. Because we need to be GSM Verizon isn't really a good option due to VERY limited device selection..

YUP! I have VZW. But, the last I read, it should still be good on here. Plus, it's through our corp BES and our bberry department is good at "unlocking" things. I have the GPS option on mine and it's worked with google maps to pinpoint my position. I've been holding out on a Storm until I figure out if I still have a job.
Interesting!! I have a friend that's had a couple of BB from Verizon (personal use) and he was totally pissed when he couldnt get Google maps working because there was no GPS active on his dual mode phone..

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
There are ways to unlock these phones. Working for a bank, our Bberry department does a lot of things that probably aren't up to standard VZW guidelines. Our phones are opened in many ways and locked in many ways.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Rick,
I got it and installed it on mine (Curve 8330) and it works as advertized.
A little un-intuitive but it works just fine.
Thanks!

·
5,533 Posts
One of the things that I've noticed about the Storm is that code that works perfectly well on the Pearl and/or the Curve often act buggy on the Storm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts