GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just called me about his Goldwing blowing fuses. He and his wife are on a weekend camping trip near Woodruff, SC.

He noticed on the way that his speedometer and gauges stopped working. He checked and a 20 amp fuse was blown. The fuse was replaced and when the switch was turned on the gauges worked.

He then started the bike and the main 30 amp fuse blew. He is now looking for another 30 amp fuse replacement.

The only change he has made in the last week was the addition of a stock heated seat, which presented no problem in the past 6 to 7 days.

I told him to replace the fuse and unplug the seat as a starting point.

If you or anyone you know has experienced this problem and found the solution, please answer here and I will call him with the information.

Any and most suggestions appreciated. :banghead:

Thanks and God Bless.

Mike

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I dunno, that is a kinda maybe question.

Did the bike have a heated seat to begin with? Was a new or used heated seat used to replace the old one, or was a heated seat installed or attempt to install on a bike that never had one.

How was it wired and to what and to what circuit.

Unplugging recent work is wise, replace the fuse for now and if all works sort it out later.

Could be totally unrelated, but to blow a main fuse usually means a direct short, something moved, wiggled, and is touching the frame or ground and is shorting out.

Or the new or used seat has a short.....I dunno, really no way to know how it was wired or if it is even related.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno, that is a kinda maybe question.

Did the bike have a heated seat to begin with? Was a new or used heated seat used to replace the old one, or was a heated seat installed or attempt to install on a bike that never had one.

Yes, the bike had heated seat and grips. The seat was a Ultimate seat, replaced with a stock 2009 heated seat.

How was it wired and to what and to what circuit.

Don't know????

Unplugging recent work is wise, replace the fuse for now and if all works sort it out later.

Thanks, that was my first thought.

Could be totally unrelated, but to blow a main fuse usually means a direct short, something moved, wiggled, and is touching the frame or ground and is shorting out.

Yep, I told him a rewiring job would be $$$$.

Or the new or used seat has a short.....I dunno, really no way to know how it was wired or if it is even related.
Yes, tough to troubleshoot over long distance.

Thanks, Kit.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Each bit of info helps.

The Ultimate seat is factory made to fit and plug into the OEM. As this is the case there would not have been any wiring done. No need for it as a stock seat would fit right .

So would suspect something other than the seat. Or the thing to look for would be pinched or damaged wires under the seat. Something getting against ground , and has jiggled around and is now shorting out.

I would look for that first.

And what 20 amp fuse blew the first time, to what circuit? It is marked on the fuse box cover. That might give a hint as to where to look.

But I bet, something got damaged under the seat, because even if the new seat was shorted internally it would effect only the seat and grips not the bike . But a damaged wire in the wire harness, that could .

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,372 Posts
Is he pulling a trailer? The 20 amp tail light fuse he blew runs the gauges and a bad connection on a trailer hookup will blow it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts