GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was using a small 300psi 12v air compressor. I had it plugged into my acc. plug which is located inside the left pocket. I blew that fuse which is a 3A. Should i replace it with another 3A or should i go with a little heavier fuse and if so what size would still be safe to step up to? Thanks in advance Ed

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
wngtym said:
I was using a small 300psi 12v air compressor. I had it plugged into my acc. plug which is located inside the left pocket. I blew that fuse which is a 3A. Should i replace it with another 3A or should i go with a little heavier fuse and if so what size would still be safe to step up to? Thanks in advance Ed
No more than a five (5) amp fuse is appropriate for that wiring.

In my testing I found my compressors start at about 9 amps and run at about 6 amps. I suggest you don't use that outlet for the compressor. I installed a power outlet in my trunk with heavier wiring that I use for my compressor.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
All Boots No Saddle said:
wngtym said:
No more than a five (5) amp fuse is appropriate for that wiring.

In my testing I found my compressors start at about 9 amps and run at about 6 amps. I suggest you don't use that outlet for the compressor. I installed a power outlet in my trunk with heavier wiring that I use for my compressor.
What amp fuse did you use for the trunk power outlet...15 amp?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks All Boots, I think i will do the same as you have done. Then i wont have to worry about that light weight fuse. What size fuse do you have on the power outlet in the trunk. I will be going to the Davis Rally in N.E. Iowa this weekend, so i will get everything there that i will need. Thanks Again Ed

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
wngtym said:
Thanks All Boots, I think i will do the same as you have done. ....
I got an automotive 30 amp relay and put a diode across the coil, which is powered from the accessories connection on the fusebox. A dedicated wire and 15 amp fuse takes power from the battery to the contacts of the relay which feeds the power outlet in the trunk lid. Use care in routing the wire into the lid to ensure it can't get caught in the hinge mechanism.

I hope it works out well for you, and if you have any questions just ask.

-Bob

·
Registered
755 Posts
I cut the cigarette lighter plug off of my pump and changed it out for a two prong accessory plug that plugs into my battery tender cable. It is direct to the battery through a 10 amp fuse.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I also use the battery tender plug to power my compressor. I have it tie wrapped to the left rear crash guard. You cant see it unless you are looking for it.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
The Captain said:
I also use the battery tender plug to power my compressor. ....
That's a good solution for the compressor.

But, in my case, I also wanted a place to plug in a small inverter, a cell phone charger, or a AA battery charger that would work while I'm on the move. So, the best solution for me was to install the power outlet in the trunk. Go with what works best for you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts