GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out on vacation. In upstate ny .left seal browns out.will it be ok to ride till we get back home to Tenn.on sat.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Out on vacation. In upstate ny .left seal browns out.will it be ok to ride till we get back home to Tenn.on sat.
If it is just weeping basically a one wipe rag cleans it off and none leaking down fork tube to brake pads that would be a real problem and extra expense.
Again just a weep I would ride.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I blew mine out twice. Both times were on road trips. it will be fine. If you take it to the shop and the right side is not broke, it doesn't need to be fixed.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Been there. Done that - 4 days from home.

To keep the oil off the brakes and blowing back on us and the bike, I tied a red rag around the fork, then stuffed paper towels inside the rag to soak up the oil. Around Colorado and back to Texas I changed the paper towels several times, maybe every 2 or 3 fuel stops. that would depend on how bad it is leaking.

IMHO, be careful, but ride on and enjoy the rest of your trip.

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Oil is there to dampen the spring so it's not bouncing on you. If you run out of oil, it can be bad because your suspension will be very erratic but that is unlikely. A little leak looks like a lot of oil so you probably won't have an issue there.

The only real issue with riding is if oil runs down the fork tube and gets on the brake rotors or pads. You have to have quite a bit of oil leaking to do that.

Do what others have suggested and keep it wiped down to keep it from pooling. If it's real bad, tie / tape a rag around it to keep the oil from leaking down.

I wouldn't stop and do an emergency service unless it's just gushing so much you can't keep it off the fork tubes.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
I have gone over 5,000 miles with both seals leaking without issue. :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
A few years back, I had a left seal blow just outside of Robbinsville. I smelled it first and didn't know for sure what it was until I tried to pull over and discovered that my brakes were well lubricated!
I found a car wash and cleaned everything the best I could. Then I pumped the suspension until the leak reduced from pouring out to just dampness. I limped it back to Chattanooga from there without any further excitement.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Damn it. While doing routine maintenance on my bike in preparations for Americade, I noticed my left fork seal is leaking (for the 5th time in 110,000 miles). So off to the dealer this morning to get it fixed. He is going to disable the anti dive for me also. Hopefully that will keep it from happening so often.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Damn it. While doing routine maintenance on my bike in preparations for Americade, I noticed my left fork seal is leaking (for the 5th time in 110,000 miles). So off to the dealer this morning to get it fixed. He is going to disable the anti dive for me also. Hopefully that will keep it from happening so often.
Really? A dealer is going to disable the valve. I would think there could be a liability issue with that.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
He knows how absolutely useless it is too.
I understand, I disabled mine, just interesting to me a dealer would do it. Curious, is it a Honda dealer, or a generic M/C shop?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the wife and wing home safe.Took the left leg off today to fix seal.Did not find any broken parts or crackes in he seal. I do not think the last owener very changed the fork oil.Boy does it stink like brunt oil.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Got the wife and wing home safe.Took the left leg off today to fix seal.Did not find any broken parts or crackes in he seal. I do not think the last owener very changed the fork oil.Boy does it stink like brunt oil.
Did you do bush guides? Other fort can't be fat behind.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts