GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I recently replaced my front tire, I noticed the front rotors have a painted from factory blue dot on them,Question do these need to be in a specific location like 180 from valve stem or what any other ideas?? thanks:shrug:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Are they lit? I think blue dot taillights are frowned on.....;)

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
I would hypothesize they are Q&A marks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Rotors probley came form W-Mart:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Rotors probley came form W-Mart:eek:4:
Nah, K-Mart (blue light/dot special).

Seriously, could be some sort of way to signal "this side up" or something of that nature.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Warning! do not remove the blue dots. They are required to keep your motorcycle from disintegrating at exactly 69.7283 mph. The properties of the blue dots create a symbiotic stasis field within the metal that allows it to retain it's metallic cohesive properties...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for all the STUPID ASS comments. I was trying to ask a serious question, No wonder I ride with harley riders at least they tell it straight up.:twisted:
That will be the last time I visit you asses on this site, SEE YA

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The blue dots are not for any alignment issue that I know of. Most likely they are marks that were put on at the factory to indicate a passed QA inspection or completed job. You find marks like that all over new cars too......

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hey thanks for all the STUPID ASS comments. I was trying to ask a serious question, No wonder I ride with harley riders at least they tell it straight up.:twisted:
Well the boyz were fun'in ya some and they sometimes can be a bit intense. Actually if you read the responses without being quite so sensitive I'm pretty sure you would see they were trying to tell you in humorous ways that the blue dot is not a common thing on any rotor we know of, and indeed may be a QA mark or some factory marking that has no bearing on the rotor or wheel or location.

Come back if ya want - and realize sometimes people will tease.

Cheers!

http://www.jimnlyn.com

·
Vendor
21,888 Posts
I don't know about the dots on the rotors, but the 2009 bikes now have yellow dots painted on the rims that indicate the heavy spot of the rim. In many cases, they are about 10 degrees off the valve stem. I suspect this was done due to the fact that the tire pressure sensor can make wheel balancing a bit more difficult, and knowing the EXACT position of the heavy spot of the rim will allow you to use less weight balancing the tire if the tires light spot is matched to the wheels heavy spot. Be careful not to remove these dots when you are cleaning the wheel, since you will need them when you mount new tires.

I will say that it can be important if you remove a rotor to reinstall it in the same radial position it was in to prevent any brake pulsations that can be caused by excessive runout or out of true issues.

The blue dot may simple mean they put the wheel in a jig after mounting the rotors, and spun it with a dial indicator on it to make sure it was in spec and straight, but that's just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
423 Posts
What are you still answering him for? Y'all done already ran him off. Didn't anyone notice he was new? You have to break them in before you break them down.

·
Registered
423 Posts
He posted before with helpful responses. Looks like he needs to lighten up! Wait until the Harley board finds out he rides a wing. I'm sure there will be NO smart comments there!

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I thought it was a repair shop that marked the rotors to ensure they went back on in the exact same spot as it was taken off. Some of the mechanics are not the brightest bulbs in the box

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Here if ya take yurself seriously, ya get 4 posts and yur out!!! BYE

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
cops put the dots there to track the time you have been parked in a one hour zone.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
The worst of all this, the biggest (but size does not matter) jokester of them all only sez
I would hypothesize they are Q&A marks.
which is closest to the (blue) mark and the furthest from the buffoonery we know and love!

What is wrong Polecat? It just makes me cry to see you this way :wrong:

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Have I cast my pearls before swine? OK, A blue dot means the rotor is married but not putting out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts