GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing the BRP last week of Sept, any points of interest :?:
Were staying in Harrisonburg Va. for 5 days.
I understand there are 250 eateries in Harrisonburg, food should not be an issue..
We'll ride BRP for a day, then hit some other backroads in the area.
Can anyone recommend some other roads :?: points of interest :?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Caverns!

Lotsa ccavern around but my favorite is the Luray Caverns, Luray VA. They are about 50 miles northeast of Harrisonburg on the othe side of the mountains. Maybe 10 miles off the parkway.

2soon

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
BASSNMAN said:
Doing the BRP last week of Sept, any points of interest :?:
Were staying in Harrisonburg Va. for 5 days.
I understand there are 250 eateries in Harrisonburg, food should not be an issue..
We'll ride BRP for a day, then hit some other backroads in the area.
Can anyone recommend some other roads :?: points of interest :?
Bassnman,

The BRP is a fantastic road if you like scenery. However, if you like tight twisties devoid of traffic, then "go west young man" and ride the back roads and byways of West Virginia. US 33, US 219, US 50, Rt. 39, Rt. 311, Rt. 15, Rt. 20 are just a handful of the best motorcycle roads east of the Rockies. I've been there many, many times and will never get tired of riding those same roads over and over again. Ah, West Virginia....Almost Heaven!

Ride safely,

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
1. 33 West to 220, then flip a coin and go north or south.
2. 33 East to 340, north to Luray, then East to Sperryville. Grab a burger, and go from there.
3. 33 East to 29, South to Charlottesville. Look over The University (there is only one in the US) and check out Mr. Jefferson's home, Monticello, along with all the other historical sites, the area wineries, and so on.
4. Just stay on the parkway till you get to Linville Falls, NC.

So much to see, so little time! Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys
I wrote all this info down, be sure to take it with me :wink:
My wife would like to visit a Plantation, do you guys know of any :?:
we will be doing the BackRoads that is for sure :wink:
I hear rt 11 is a nice ride :?:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hear rt 11 is a nice ride :?

Indeed it is, except where it runs with Interstate 81. But there are good stretches above and below Harrisonburg, and it's a nice, easy ride. No twisties, though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Parkway can get downright COLD at elevation this time of year even when it's 85 on the flat ground. Long sleeve shirt, heavy leather and at least lightweight gloves on the BRP.

Gotta come east for the plantations. Williamsburg area has a shithouse full of 'em. Almost 300 miles from Harrisonburg.

2soon

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Papaduck & 2soon
on my way to Greensboro NC one yr we drove on a road called 29, it runs paralell w/ 81, hit some towns, but a nice road :wink:
we'll do that again, for a few miles.
I'll probably do the BRP for a day, then get on to some other roads..
You mentioned COLD this time of yr :roll:
we did the Wing Ding in July, then went to Cherokee NC for the Dragon, & of course to see Yellow Wolf, HI RICK :wink: but my point is while on the BRP near Ashville, we where at 6000ft, the temp in Ashville was 80*, the temps @ 6000 ft where 54* :!: :!: :lol: :lol:
so I know what you mean :wink: :wink:
we'll have our HEAVY JACKETS w/ us & gloves :wink: :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts