GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a two-up trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'd like to ride the entire length in one trip. We will be leaving from near Charlotte, NC, riding up to VA, then down all the way to Cherokee, NC. This is our first long motorcycle trip in 25 years. I'm mostly a motorcycle commuter, but we have taken some weekend 2-up trips. We will be traveling in the summer.

• So, what do I need to know?
  • What should we be sure to see?
  • Where are nice places to stay? (We like small places with character.)
  • Anything to avoid?
  • Dangers on the Parkway? Dear? Zombie-alien space invaders?
  • Great restaurants?
  • How long will it take?
  • In "parkway miles," how far in a day?
  • Painted wall murals? (They are my hobby.)

Thanks for your help.

320px-Blue_Ridge_Parkway-27527.jpg

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You can find it all right here.
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

I'm planning a two-up trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'd like to ride the entire length in one trip. We will be leaving from near Charlotte, NC, riding up to VA, then down all the way to Cherokee, NC. This is our first long motorcycle trip in 25 years. I'm mostly a motorcycle commuter, but we have taken some weekend 2-up trips. We will be traveling in the summer.

• Anything to avoid?
  • Great restaurants?
  • How long will it take?

Thanks for your help.

View attachment 24107

·
Registered
35 Posts
Over the years we have ridden parts of it, only once the whole way in the same trip. If I remember correctly, the Skyline Drive is the northern part and 35 mph, the rest is 45 mph.

Weekend and holiday traffic is heavier, especially at both ends = lots of distracted sightseers in cages pulling on and off the road. If you can plan mid week and away from holidays that might help.

We usually rent a house for a week and ride the area so can't help on motels.

Also, schedule it on a week with no rain!

·
Registered
993 Posts
The Skyline Drive is not part of the Blue Ridge parkway. It is a National park and therefore has an entry fee while the parkway has none. That being said it is a nice ride. It connects directly to the parkway outside of Waynesboro.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link, Pop Chance! Lots of good stuff there.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Any good stories?

I've been to Biltmore Estate and Grandfather Mountain. I drove through Cherokee a few times (not my sort of place). What else is a Must See?

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Raod the Blue Ridge and Shannandoah, pardon spelling. I like the latter. But both are great. Try to do one south to north then reverse North to South. You will not be disappointed. I had done several times and you really need to plan on taking your time and enjoy the turnouts.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,678 Posts
How long will it take?

View attachment 24107

FWIW, my brother and I rode the entire length (a long time ago), camping each night. We did a LOT of stopping to see stuff, took a lot of pictures.

We did not venture off the parkway. Our slow journed took us three days, but we enjoyed every minute.

Tour safely.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,678 Posts
View attachment 24107

As to what to see, I've always liked Mt. Mitchell, the Cone house, Craggy Gardens, the Orchard at Altapass, the visitor's center near Asheville and the Mt. Pisgah area.

Sounds like you've got a nice trip plannned.

Enjoy safely.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Guys from So Texas tried to take Natchas trace then the blueridge parkway to DC for rolling thunder. The slow speed limits and strict enforcement got them to ride sections for scenery and then find a real road running same direction and get back up to 65 for a distance. They got bored silly after 40 miles at 35 mph. These guys are not known to look at the scenery since we go 150 miles for a quick breakfast run.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
The entire length of the Parkway and Skyline drive is "nice" and great to have bragging rights that you've done it in one ride straight thru... however, I've found the rural roads below in the valley's much more refreshing, faster, less tourist traffic, etc. JMO Have a great trip!

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
we hit the south part for a few days in the end of fall for color change it was unbelievable.
Places to go things to do.
1.maggie vally is a good central place for a few days reasonable lodging , good food and nice people.THE MOTORCYCLE museum is pretty cool a few thousand antique bikes and cars
2. Dragon ???from Maggie valley you can do the Dragon and then head north across the top on the mountains east to Gatlinburg then back to Maggie valley is a nice 1 day trip a lot of look outs a long the way THE ELECTRIC DAM is a nice wonder stop.
3. shenandoah skyline drive NICE

http://www.visitshenandoah.com/vacation-attractions/skyline-drive.aspx

4 Next day then North along the blue ridge to linn cove viaduct / visitors center and grandfather mountain

http://www.romanticasheville.com/linn_cove_viaduct.htm

http://www.grandfather.com/conservation_interpretation/blue_ridge_parkway.php

WARNING GRANDFATHER MOUNTAIN IS CRAZY STEEP
PARK THE WING AT THE ENTRANCE VERY COOL
THAT’S A LONG DAY STAY IN BOONE
5. the Biltmore winery and historic motel in Ashville n.c.
http://www.biltmore.com/visit/

Bring snacks and water and a camera a tire patch kit and air compressor no hazards really just be ready

·
Registered
87 Posts

• Anything to avoid?
  • Great restaurants?
  • How long will it take?

Thanks for your help.

View attachment 24107

I live 15 minutes from the northern start of the BRP in Afton VA. I have ridden the entire parkway many time (losing count, but I think 11) in the past 8 years. The whole thing is just absolutely incredible and I never tire of riding on the BRP. I've been riding a bike up there for more than 35 years now, and I still get a thrill every single time I ride it. There are almost no intersections, no stoplights and usually light traffic. No stopping unless you choose to do so. The vast majority of the parkway has a speed limit of 45, not 35 as some have mentioned. 35 mph exists in certain higher traffic areas of the BRP. My suggestion is to avoid driving at dusk and/or dark because of deer. During the remainder of the day, you probably won't encounter deer very often if at all. As others have mentioned, Mount Mitchell is stunning especially on a clear day. There is a fantastic motel and restaurant in Linville Falls. I can never seem to remember the name of the damned place, but I've stayed there with the assistance of "wicked Wendy", who runs the place several times. Grandfather mountain is worth a visit and you will find it hard not to stop at all of the overlooks if the weather is nice. I have ridden the entire parkway in a day, but I certainly don't recommend doing that. 3 days is probably about right for really enjoying the ride unless you want to stop and do some hiking. Mt Pisgah is another don't miss stop with a nice restaurant and motel. I love the BRP, but be warned, if on a weekend in some areas near larger cities, the traffic can be a bit of a pain with cages moving along at a very slow pace. If that happens, my advice it to pull of and enjoy the view for a bit before continuing.

Anyhow, thats all I can think of off the cuff and I know I'm missing a bunch. You'll have a blast and want to come back for more. I don't know how anyone could become bored riding this beautiful stretch of road. 469 miles, if memory serves.

Take care,
Joel

·
Registered
314 Posts
I did the entire length last year, both directions. One of the ranger stations had a booklet that listed what was located at each mile marker; gas stations , lodging, food, etc. It also listed what was to be found in the specific county you were in. Probably my favorite trip to date. I spent 7 days and camped at the motorcycle resorts along the way. I averaged 250 - 300 miles a day, but did not really stop, I was more interested in the relaxing ride. We went in June, right after father's day and there was very little traffic. I did not make any reservations for the camp grounds, they had plenty of room.
Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have ridden it 3 times on the bike and it's beautiful.I have the book, there's a place we stay a old rustic inn, bed and breakfast.Skyline village inn, near little Switzerland.very nice owners.I just ride, relax and enjoy, its not to difficult to find a place to stay either on or near B.R.P. go on the website and request the book.it shows everything by mile marker.sit back and enjoy the ride!!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Rode it a few years ago and it was really enjoyable with lots of scenery. As I recall the speed limit was 45 mph which was okay but there are no gas stations on the BRP and you can have a bit of a ride to leave it and find gas so don't push your luck too far.

I found Skyline Drive to be slow and fairly boring.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
A must see Place-

Wheels through Time in Maggie Valley !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just rode a good part of the parkway this weekend. A great ride especially for two up riding because gorgeous scenery, nice curves, but not too technical. The speed limit will cause the trip to be long. Weekends can be especially slow because of traffic.

++++1 on eating at the Pisgah Inn. Great place to spend the night as well. I recommend the maps from americaridesmaps.com and there are plenty of maps at the national park centers. Gas won't be obvious so you will want to get an idea which exits to take. (americaridesmaps has gas locations noted.

I'd make a week of it with lots of side trips along the way.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts