GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I am not sure what part of Blue Ridge Parkway you will be on. I have a few suggestions; take the time to drive up to Mount Mitchell. If going far enough North you would want to see Mabrys Mill. Near the end of Blue Ridge Parkway in Maggie Valley there is the Wheels Through Time museum (rather Harley Centric) which is worth seein that she get you started. You don't have to stop at every turnout (it would take too long but that is our Avatar photo). You will have to change gears in the mind and enjoy the scenery rather than ride fast, only 45 mph.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
By the way it was good to type to you again though hope all is well with you.

·
Registered
584 Posts
We were there over 5 yrs ago but Bama Q was delicious

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure what part of Blue Ridge Parkway you will be on. I have a few suggestions; take the time to drive up to Mount Mitchell. If going far enough North you would want to see Mabrys Mill. Near the end of Blue Ridge Parkway in Maggie Valley there is the Wheels Through Time museum (rather Harley Centric) which is worth seein that she get you started. You don't have to stop at every turnout (it would take too long but that is our Avatar photo). You will have to change gears in the mind and enjoy the scenery rather than ride fast, only 45 mph.

Thanks Michel, good to hear from you, we look forward to the road trip and hope the rain does not dampen our spirits. It is a bit ambitious for Millie and I, but off we go to Alexandria VA to hook up with my Haley buddy and his spouse, and ride south to Cherokee. Will always remember our ride to AR. Regards.

·
Vendor
17,787 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Took a 2-week trip last Summer (first 2-weeks of July) and did the Skyline drive (~ 105 miles) and also the whole Blue Ridge Parkway (~ 460 miles).....
Very beautiful and a must do........absolutely no rain the whole 2-week trip and it was in the 70's on the BRP.

Plan plenty of time so you can take a relaxing ride and enjoy it.....many nice stops along the way.
Just watch out and keep current on any construction going on.

Have fun and be safe....

·
Registered
16,973 Posts
Yep, take Yer good ole sweet time. Going north, start at Cherokee and end up at Front Royal. See all the elephants.

prs

·
Registered
292 Posts
Someone mentioned Little Switzerland, YES stop there, go to the little ice cream store, get yourself a cone then go through the hotel, they have a yard with Adirondack chairs out back. Sit in one, eat your ice cream and you will be presented with one of the most beautiful views around!!

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks prs, looking to ride to Alexandria (DC), pick up my Harley buddy, pickup the BRP at Charlottesville VA and ride south to Cherokee, then we split and ride to our respective home territory. Like the Skyline, but just don't have the time for the whole thing, maybe later. My only concern is the weather up there on the BRP but I guess that goes with riding.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you have the time, do Skyline Drive as well (only 105 more miles). Neither are the most curvaceous or the most challenging, but without a doubt, the most scenic and relaxing. You eventually get used to riding at 45 mph.

While your still in the 45 mph mindset, you can always head for the Natchez Trace Parkway next! Just cut across to Nashville and begin the slow ride south.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks prs, looking to ride to Alexandria (DC), pick up my Harley buddy, pickup the BRP at Charlottesville VA and ride south to Cherokee, then we split and ride to our respective home territory. Like the Skyline, but just don't have the time for the whole thing, maybe later. My only concern is the weather up there on the BRP but I guess that goes with riding.
Enjoy your ride, buddy. My wife and I are doing the same thing at the end of July. So I'm following this thread pretty closely

Also, I'm located about 20 miles from Charlottesville - if you guys need anything before jumping on BRP to start your journey please let me know (PM me for a phone number if needed). Also, if you need any info about the area....

Let the fun begins...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
Just got back from the BRP yesterday! We did the slab down and rode the parkway back to the north as far as Roanoke. We left Tuesday evening after work and rode down I-81 to Harrisonburg, Va. Got up in the morning and headed south to Cherokee. On Thursday we rode up 141 to Gatlinburg with a stop at Clingmans Dome. It's a steep half mile to the top. I wish I could tell you what the view was like but all we saw was fog. We did see elk and turkey just north of Cherokee. We stayed at Qualla Cabins on Tee Pee Drive in Whittier NC. about a mile south of Cherokee. The deluxe cabin had 2 bedrooms and a hot tub on the back porch overlooking the creek. Very nice accommodations.
Friday we followed the Parkway up to Blowing Rock/Boone. Stopped and ate lunch in Little Switzerland. About 200 miles and easily doable in a day.
Saturday we continued north with a stop in Mt Airy, NC. then Mabry's Mill and continued on to a hotel in Roanoke before heading home on Sunday.
I believe it was Saturday we ran into some construction/single lane section on the parkway. Nothing terrible just a few minutes delay.

Weather was great the whole time. High temps around 72 degrees and some lows on the mountain of 48 degrees.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Also some good riding is hwy 215 & 276 off the pkwy., either way north or south, I would do it both ways
Yup, I rode 276 all the way from our place in Maggie Valley to Greenville Sunday to look at the IBR bikes. No bad roads around here...!

Best part of the parkway is from Asheville to Cherokee......

Reactions: shojac
1 - 20 of 40 Posts