GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two of us will be leaving central Oregon on the first Monday in May for an ambitious loop around a good portion of the U.S. We plan to ride southeast through Utah and northern New Mexico and then take I-40 east to Knoxville and on to Deals Gap to ride the Dragon and then north on the Blueridge Parkway. From there we're going to head to Michigan and then start back west through the northern states and home to Oregon. We're allowing two weeks for the trip. Any suggestions on "must see" things or roads along the way? This is a mainly riding trip so we won't be stopping at the tourist traps. What we see will be mainly from the saddles of our GW's. We're looking for good scenery and fun roads. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks,

Retired Guy

·
Registered
470 Posts
Retired Guy,
If your gonna do the Dragon, while your in the vicinity, go to Joyce Kilmer Natl. Forest. About 10 miles from the Dragon, and on the Cherohala Skyway. (thats a nice ride too.) Joyce Kilmer has pathways that take you past virgin growth. Trees so large my three kids could hold hands and not get around the diameter.(not a tourist trap, you could be the only ones there, you never know!!!) Enjoy the trip and be careful out there. Semper-fi

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
if your doing that trip and only have 2 weeks

there will not be much time for looking around

unfortunately

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, we know two weeks is cutting it short, so in between the "good parts" we'll be slabbing it as fast as the law allows.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Blue Ridge Parkway

We're allowing two weeks for the trip.
Retired Guy
We're leaving May 9th for the same area, and the same two weeks. We were up that way 2 years ago and my personal opinion is you'd need the whole 2 weeks to ride the Dragon and Cherohole (sp?) and experience the country side. Dolly World is nearby, but we didn't stop. This year we're headed straight to Deal's Gap and plan on driving the entire Blue Ridge Parkway before returning home. The Gap was a nice ride...I'm hoping the Parkway will have in scenery what the Gap had in curves. Bob.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you are picking up the Parkway at its most southern end and want to do The Dragon also here is a suggestion. Ride to Tellico Plains and ride the Cherohola Skyway to 129. Ride the Dragon,then turn right on the Foothills Parkway. Turn right on 321 to Townsend and the National Park. Left on River Road and right on 441 across Newfound Gap to the Blue Ridge Parkway. :cool::cool:

·
Mild Hog
585 Posts
We're leaving May 9th for the same area, and the same two weeks. We were up that way 2 years ago and my personal opinion is you'd need the whole 2 weeks to ride the Dragon and Cherohole (sp?) and experience the country side. Dolly World is nearby, but we didn't stop. This year we're headed straight to Deal's Gap and plan on driving the entire Blue Ridge Parkway before returning home. The Gap was a nice ride...I'm hoping the Parkway will have in scenery what the Gap had in curves. Bob.
It does.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Grandfather Mountain is a fun ride. Just be prepared to unhook your trailer if you are pulling one and leave it at the bottom of the mountain.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you are picking up the Parkway at its most southern end and want to do The Dragon also here is a suggestion. Ride to Tellico Plains and ride the Cherohola Skyway to 129. Ride the Dragon,then turn right on the Foothills Parkway. Turn right on 321 to Townsend and the National Park. Left on River Road and right on 441 across Newfound Gap to the Blue Ridge Parkway. :cool::cool:
+1 for what boxmaker says. Also check out the freighters going through the locks in Sault Ste Marie in Michigan.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts