GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
boy what a week started monday 9 /5/2011 we started out in east central alabama going to ride the blue ridge parkway and the shanadoha valley. It has rained on us every day:eek:4: .we had a lot of fun we're headed back home tomorrow .if u like the forest and wild life this is a good trip to take .the total miles for both parkways is about 574 deers will run right in front of you so ride safe

·
Registered
55 Posts
We have been wanting to ride Blueridge Parkway also....But the deer does worry me....We go to Paintbank, Va. which is a buffalo farm and it is a nice ride through the Jefferson Forrest and yes the deer will jump right out in front of you.....Glad you all had fun but hate it is has rained all week...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Glad you had a good trip...........sorry for the rain! I hope to ride the BRP from end to end sometime this fall.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I was riding on BR and took RT276 down to Hendersonville NC. Beautiful road, thick forest with lots of trees covering the road like an umbrella. As we were enjoying the scenery, we see something in the middle of the road ahead. As it gets closer we see its a black bear. I laid on my horn and he/she took off under the guard rail and into the forest. Not sure what I would have done had it decided to do a stand off.....:-(

·
Registered
714 Posts
Did the BRP a couple of years ago. Was one of the best rides ever. Especially like all the tunnels; they were really cool.

I guess I never gave the deer any thought. We are used to them here in Texas, especially out west where the speed limit is 60 mph on I-10 between San Antonio and El Paso. With the speed limit at 45 mph on BRP I would think it would be somewhat safer or less scarrier.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Dixie & I just returned from our third trip in three years to the Blue Ridge Parkway ... :thumbup:

Great trip ... no rain ... great relaxed riding ... saw lots of wildlife ... about 30 deer (isn't seeing mountains, valleys, forests, and wildlife what the Parkway is all about ????)

Got on at Waynesboro and stayed the first night at Peaks of Otter ... http://www.peaksofotter.com/ ... second night at Sparta ... http://www.alleghanyinn.com/ ... third night at Pisgah ... http://www.pisgahinn.com/ ... then back to Asheville, N.C. and back to Winchester Indiana through Tennessee and Kentucky.

NO INTERNET ... NO RADIO ... NO TV ... NO CELL SERVICE ... along most of the Parkway ... just me & a bottle of wine & the stars & Dixie. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
been up there multiple times on my Wings. Was up there last week on the Rune. Labor Day weekend is NOT a good time to be on the sections around Asheville ... tons of traffic. But the road was in fantastic shape this year.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I am upset about the Bluffs Lodge and Coffee Shop. I miss that Fried Chicken and Peaceful Lodge. They are not sure if it will ever reopen according to the ladies at the Northwest Trading Post.:cry:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
One of my favorite rides. Rode on it twice this year for sure, maybe 3, can't remember exactly. The first Smoky Mountain trip of the season has gotten a little fuzzy in the old brain.

2W

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice.
We rode that last year. Didnt see any deer, but we definetly got caught in the rain a few times.
Ive got an awesome picture of the rain actually coming up the mountain, and it looks like it was chasing us a bit... unfortunately it fails to upload everytime i try...

·
IronMan
17,879 Posts
Check out 221 thru virginia down thru no carolina runs along good section of br without all the traffic

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Rode the BRP twice this year, had enough, started to fall asleep behind the bars :lol: very relaxing, had a great ride :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts