GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Gl1800 - I want to cut the cord, but keep the option of using the CB occasionally. From the research I have done, it looks like I have 2 options to have CB transmit capabilities.

1- Sena Freewire with only certain Sena Bluetooth headsets due to proprietary limitations

2- if I want to use another brand headset (Cardo Packtalk Bold), I have to go with the J&M Blu Hub dongle (twice the $$ of the Freewire).

Are there any other effective options that I am missing that will allow CB transmitting using a non Sena Bluetooth headset?

I have seen some older posts about using a Sena SM 10 with a special harness (Sierra-mc) in the left fairing pocket, but can’t locate harness information.

TIA for any and all input.

Ride safe!

Jeff

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Sierra harness

2012 Gl1800 - I want to cut the cord, but keep the option of using the CB occasionally. From the research I have done, it looks like I have 2 options to have CB transmit capabilities.

1- Sena Freewire with only certain Sena Bluetooth headsets due to proprietary limitations

2- if I want to use another brand headset (Cardo Packtalk Bold), I have to go with the J&M Blu Hub dongle (twice the $$ of the Freewire).

Are there any other effective options that I am missing that will allow CB transmitting using a non Sena Bluetooth headset?

I have seen some older posts about using a Sena SM 10 with a special harness (Sierra-mc) in the left fairing pocket, but can’t locate harness information.

TIA for any and all input.

Ride safe!

Jeff
There was a board member named fox2kill who created an interface for Sena headsets to the CB. It required a second SM10. The harnesses are not are or sold any more, but some members still have them laying around. I have one in one of my electronics boxes but it has not been used in years. It is also not very convenient as it takes up a significant amount of space in the left pocket.

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
My Sena has a cable that goes from the free wire to the plug, I haven’t spent much time on it to make it work.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
The Sena Freewire is the way to go if you want Blue Tooth on a previous version Goldwing. All of the Sena 20 and 30 series headsets work along with most of their single helmet versions. what you will not have is wireless to your passenger through the bike. PM me for more information. I am the Person that figured out how to make a FreeWire work on BMW Motors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The J&M Bluehub is your solution. Really not twice the price though. The Freewire only works for one rider. If you have a passenger you need two. The Bluehub has two ports. One for you and one for the passenger. It also works well. I had one installed on my 2017 GL1800.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thank you for all of the feedback folks. At this point, leaning toward the J&M Bluehub and Cardo Packtalk Bold, but definitely will be doing a little more research before making a purchase.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Here's my theory for CB post cord-cutting:
RX: over speakers, or bike audio out via SMH-10 to your BT headset
TX: hardwire from you back to bike. Get a throat mic, dangle a cord from it/you to the driver headset jack and connect with a 5 pin DUN connector into the mic circuit.

I haven't put it into practice yet because I haven't been CBing lately. But in my imagination, it is cheap, reliable, not too inconvenient for occasional CB use, and works great.

If you try it, let me know how awesome it is and I am! If it doesn't work out, let me know how dumb you were for listening to me! ;) Good luck.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have a Sena freeware on my bike and the Sena 20S headsets but for the life of me I can't get the pairing to work in order to receive and transmit over the CB wirelessly. I'm at a loss -- can anyone provide an old man with easy, small words, and simple to understand instructions please?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts