GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
2019 GW 1800 DCT Motor Trike
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gave up on Apple car play and went back to using my Garmin Zumo XT - just not sure how to connect it. I have a helmet headset ('19 Wing), and my phone connected to the bike with bluetooth. Works fine - I can make and receive calls, listen to the bike's XM in my headset no problem. Can't figure out now how to connect the Garmin. If I bluetooth pair it to my headset, it knocks out the bike connection, so that doesn't work. Any ideas how to connect headset, phone and Garmin all with bluetooth? Thanks!

· Registered
1,726 Posts
Got this from another venue.
The headset is the center of coms
Need your Sena manual and follow the pairing instructions - the detailed ones, not the quick start instructions
Pair the bike to the headset’s Phone 1 channel. This will include the CB which come from the bike to the headset
Pair the Garmin to the headset’s GPS channel
Do not pair the phone to the headset
Review this
https://www.gl1800riders.com/.../deciding-on.../page-6...
And this
https://www.gl1800riders.com/.../guide-to.../page-2...

· Registered
10,961 Posts
See post #2

· Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a couple of hours pairing, resetting and pairing again, I decided to call Cardo. Guess what - you cannot pair/listen to the bike radio and the Garmin XT. If you pair the Garmin to the headset it overrides the audio from the bike. So beware if you buy a Cardo Edge - just doesn't work with the 18+ Wing.

· Registered
10,961 Posts
Interesting to know. I run sena, didn't know about the Cardo issue. Have some friends running Cardo, will let them know.

· Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me know if they found a workaround and got it to connect to 2 devices. Won't be the first time that the tech support line didn't know how to do this!

· Registered
4,654 Posts
After a couple of hours pairing, resetting and pairing again, I decided to call Cardo. Guess what - you cannot pair/listen to the bike radio and the Garmin XT. If you pair the Garmin to the headset it overrides the audio from the bike. So beware if you buy a Cardo Edge - just doesn't work with the 18+ Wing.
I have the same problem. 😩

· Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
1,314 Posts
@Mgl007

Per the Cardo Edge Full User Guide, page 6, Section 2.5 the Edge headset only has two channels to use.

2.5 PAIRING YOUR UNIT TO BLUETOOTH DEVICES
Your PACKTALK EDGE has two Bluetooth channels for connection to Bluetooth devices such as mobile
phones, GPS devices, and TFT Bike Infotainment

Other headsets, like Sena 50s and Cardo Packtalk bold and blacks have three (3) channels.

Try pairing the bike on the headset's Channel 1 and the Garmin on the headset's Channel 2

In that configuration, you will not be able to have your phone paired to the headset.
Not having your phone paired to the headset will inhibit your ability to easily set up and join DCM group intercoms.

@ssncob

Reactions: ssncob

· Premium Member
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Mgl007

Per the Cardo Edge Full User Guide, page 6, Section 2.5 the Edge headset only has two channels to use.

2.5 PAIRING YOUR UNIT TO BLUETOOTH DEVICES
Your PACKTALK EDGE has two Bluetooth channels for connection to Bluetooth devices such as mobile
phones, GPS devices, and TFT Bike Infotainment

Other headsets, like Sena 50s and Cardo Packtalk bold and blacks have three (3) channels.

Try pairing the bike on the headset's Channel 1 and the Garmin on the headset's Channel 2

In that configuration, you will not be able to have your phone paired to the headset.
Not having your phone paired to the headset will inhibit your ability to easily set up and join DCM group intercoms.

@ssncob
Yes that is how I set it up. Doesn't work. Garmin overrides everything unfortunately, even though the Cardo has a designated GPS setup system, Cardo says thats the way it is!

· Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
1,314 Posts
Yes that is how I set it up. Doesn't work. Garmin overrides everything unfortunately, even though the Cardo has a designated GPS setup system, Cardo says thats the way it is!
Only other things I can think of to try
1) Swap the chanels the bike and garmin are paired on and see what happens.
2) Pair the Garmin to your phone and not to the headset.
Think you will have to Put Audio Source on Bluetooth or USB. Not sure if the Garmin voice commands will get through if you have any different Audio Source selected other than USB or Bluetooth.
That would be a neat experiment to see.

· Registered
3 Posts
Glad they gave you an answer. We’ve been dealing with them for two months trying to get Freecom 4+, Zumo XT, & bike to play well together. Now we know - they won’t. We also have if my passenger listens to her iPhone, she can’t return to the bike/first channel unless she turns off her headset and reconnects.

· Vendor
23,546 Posts
The Cardo Edge has a specific mode for pairing to a bike, and it dedicates more power to that bluetooth channel to keep the bike connection solid. You can now walk away from the bike pretty far and it will stay connected, unlike the Packtalk Bold which would drop the connection after a couple feet. They also have a dedicated channel for connecting to a second GPS. It sure sounds like a firmware bug, as the GPS should not over ride the bikes audio when it isn't speaking any guidance messages.

· Registered
125 Posts
2018 GW
Have Cardo Edge and wife has the Spirit HD. I try to pair hers to my Edge via DCM and it won't do it. If her's is in BT then how to I connect to others via DCM??? If we're listening to BT music will the others be able to intercom in?? Manual doesn't answer this question. At least from what I've seen. I just want to share music and intercom with her but still connect with other riders via intercom as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts