GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2018 in February.

Had a Sena Freewire and S20 on my 02.

Have been using the headset on the 18 but thinking about going to a headset with a camera and selling the Freewire/headset as a package deal.

I know Sena makes one but I would like opinions from those that use this type of camera/headset/microphone setup.

What do you use? Do you like it? What is the sound like? (don't want cheap sounding headset speakers). How long does the battery last? Any comments on how your voice sounds when paired and talking or talking on CB? How easy is it to move video from headset to computer?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so 103 people have looked at this but no reply's yet??? No opinions???? This group???? You ALWAYS come through with insite and opinions that I value.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Sorry, I don't have a camera on my bike. Yet...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 2004, and use the 20s evo with a freewire. It is a good setup, but still adjusting to sequence of what gets turned on when, to get everything paired after a full shutdown,
The sound is good, but I have noticed that there is a better sound quality if I'm listening to Pandora on my cell, rather than the bike's stereo system. I believe that it's because my cell's audio is using a dolby app. The equalizer is giving a little more bass.
I tried a Uclear Amp-Pro headset, it had 40mm speakers instead of 32mm speakers in the Sena. This also added to the sound quality. The Uclear had 2 mics that fit above the brow, inside the cover pad of the helmet. My pillion rider commented that the sound was clear and wind noise was low.
As for a camera, yes Sena offers one, but I have no experience with one. From the video quality of youtube post, I think that a go-pro is the way to go. From a pixel count/ quality, and from the fact that you don't have a glob of non-aerodynamic stuff stuck to your helmet. Recording time is much greater with the go-pro also.
I have seen some videos where the camera was mounted under the LH turn signal. That seemed to be a good spot, very little shake from buffeting.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Opinion

Bought a 2018 in February.

Had a Sena Freewire and S20 on my 02.

Have been using the headset on the 18 but thinking about going to a headset with a camera and selling the Freewire/headset as a package deal.

I know Sena makes one but I would like opinions from those that use this type of camera/headset/microphone setup.

What do you use? Do you like it? What is the sound like? (don't want cheap sounding headset speakers). How long does the battery last? Any comments on how your voice sounds when paired and talking or talking on CB? How easy is it to move video from headset to computer?

Thanks in advance.
I have several thoughts:

1) I think all helmet headset speakers sound bad. I use earbuds when I ride. Putting them in is a pain but the sound is lots better and the reduced noise level is less fatiguing and better for my ears.
2) Unless you are creating a video blog, I don't see any real appeal to having the headset and the camera in the same unit. It restricts what camera you can use, where you mount the camera to do the video recording and it is heavier than just a headset.
3) I use a Sena 20S and a Freewire, but it is certainly not perfect. The mic tends to over modulate the CB.
4) I use a knock-off GoPro, and i works great as long as I set it up properly. Over the weekend I wanted to try the time lapse built into the camera and did not put a memory card in the camera before I left for the trip. For some reason I did not get a very good recording. :laugh:
5) Depending on the length of ride you want to record, you may need an external battery for the camera and you may also need a large SD card. I can record most of a day with a 10,000 mAh battery connected to the camera with a 128 GB micro SD card recording at 1080p.
6) The 20S / Freewire combination is subject to popcorn noise, especially if the 20S is connected for intercom use. Mine also can get bad when connected to my Zumo and not connected to intercom. I have backed the firmware on the 20S back to an older version and that has helped. The noise is less but is not gone.

If my connections would always start correctly, the noise was gone and it was cheaper I would like my current setup a lot. As it is, I find my setup to be a workable compromise.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have several thoughts:

6) The 20S / Freewire combination is subject to popcorn noise, especially if the 20S is connected for intercom use. Mine also can get bad when connected to my Zumo and not connected to intercom. I have backed the firmware on the 20S back to an older version and that has helped. The noise is less but is not gone.

If my connections would always start correctly, the noise was gone and it was cheaper I would like my current setup a lot. As it is, I find my setup to be a workable compromise.

I had not noticed popcorn noise, my 20s are the newer Evo model. I don't care for the boom mic. I suppose thats the price I pay for having a modular helmet.

I sure liked the hidden mics that the Uclear system had. but it wouldnt pair to the freewire. This is kinda like beta and vhs, somebody should agree on a standard, then everybody could run with it. That would take all the MoJo out of it.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Noise

I had not noticed popcorn noise, my 20s are the newer Evo model. I don't care for the boom mic. I suppose thats the price I pay for having a modular helmet.

I sure liked the hidden mics that the Uclear system had. but it wouldnt pair to the freewire. This is kinda like beta and vhs, somebody should agree on a standard, then everybody could run with it. That would take all the MoJo out of it.
The 20S and the EVO are essentially the same units with a few improvements in the EVO. You can go to Youtube and see lots of complaints about the noise.

Several things make the noise worse:
1) Pairing the headset to a phone.
2) Multiple intercom connections.
3) Connecting to the Sena Bluetooth Audio Pack for GoPro
4) Intercom connections that are at the edge of the range of the BT connection

So if you were Sena would you give Cardo your intercom protocol so they could copy your device design? Some of the protocols are standard like A2DP and HFP, but the intercom protocol is not. Also Cardo and Sena are dumping the BT protocol in favor of their own mesh self-healing network designs.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
My understanding is that Mesh is still based on Bluetooth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts