GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm not positive what I'm describing is really related, but it may be. Anyway, my riding buddy and I headed up to Wing Ding 41 this past Saturday to attend the trade show. We took the short route up Interstate 65. So, good cell coverage was available. I usually connect with him via Sena intercom so we can chat along the way. He has a 30K and I have the 20S. As it stands, they work great for the intended purpose.

What happened this time that I can't explain is that the intercom dropped out with neither of us disconnecting (tapping the jog dial). What I did do, is tell my buddy that I was going to start up Waze to see if there were any issues with the Interstate ahead of us (LEO's, accidents, road closures, etc.). I can't say for certain, but I believe the intercom dropped out when I initiated the Waze application. And I couldn't re-establish communications with my friend. My 20S still worked for listening to music, making calls, texts and such as best as I could tell. We did stop prior to getting to Nashville so I could restart the systems and reconnect with his headset.

Further, when we returned back down the Interstate, I did not start up Waze though I did have CarPlay running and I did not once lose communication with my friend. So, I'm not blaming Waze for the previous behavior, but there seems to be a limitation or conflict within the BT system in the Sena or the bike or CarPlay. It seems that way to me, but I can't be certain. Ergo, I'm wondering if anyone out in forumland has experienced similar behavior or possibly knows something that might be related. Again, it might have been the position of the sun, ground temperature, hurricane Dorian, or some other anomaly that resulted in things not working correctly. I hesitate to blame myself for I am responsible for so many things going wrong already I hate to add to the list. Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Bluetooth is somewhat of an imperfect technology. There are several factors that can affect it, including interference from other radio signals. We recently discovered that carbon fiber acts as a radio wave blocker. Two guys came in with Simpson carbon fiber helmets and were having intermittent comm issues. One of my fellow employees is a RC model flyer and in that community it was discovered that fuselages made of carbon fiber would block radio signals to the control servos. The carbon fiber in the helmets was blocking the signals depending on their position relative to each other......go figure. I have noticed that my cell phone has interference problems when I am in my office....3 modems plus a wireless router interferes with phone communications.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I might try one of those switch devices between the iPhone and the bike where I can easily disconnect and reconnect the phone to the bike. The headset still worked though the intercom was toast and even this switch might not make a difference in that situation. I can easily power down the headset and restart while riding, but without reconnecting the phone that would likely not work. But, it's true BT is not a perfect technology as yet. Maybe Honda will offer some improvements in their system in the next software update (if there will be another). Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Bluetooth as a bike to bike communication is beyond the intended capability of Bluetooth. Bluetooth is short range data transfer that can carry voice as part of the data stream, but its specified distance is FEET not MILES. I will let you have yards, but you are not getting triple digit yards, you are doing well with the very lowest double digit yards. And a bigger issue, it is only among 2 devices not 5 to 30 devices all concurrently "talking" with all other 5-30 devices. You may be able to stretch that out a bit and have one device connect to 2 or 3 other devices with those other devices not connecting to anything else or at most 1 other device each; but consider yourself lucky to keep it working.

What Bluetooth headset manufactures are doing in my opinion can best be described as taking a screwdriver and using it as a welding rod. Yea, it may weld together your parts, but you are getting a very crappy weld that is very likely to fail on you.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Bluetooth as a bike to bike communication is beyond the intended capability of Bluetooth. Bluetooth is short range data transfer that can carry voice as part of the data stream, but its specified distance is FEET not MILES. I will let you have yards, but you are not getting triple digit yards, you are doing well with the very lowest double digit yards. And a bigger issue, it is only among 2 devices not 5 to 30 devices all concurrently "talking" with all other 5-30 devices. You may be able to stretch that out a bit and have one device connect to 2 or 3 other devices with those other devices not connecting to anything else or at most 1 other device each; but consider yourself lucky to keep it working.

What Bluetooth headset manufactures are doing in my opinion can best be described as taking a screwdriver and using it as a welding rod. Yea, it may weld together your parts, but you are getting a very crappy weld that is very likely to fail on you.
I MUST argue this one.

We bought bluetooth headsets a bunch of years ago, specifically for bike to bike communication.

We've never had any problem getting 'triple digit' distances.

Yes, they are spec'd to only 1 mile (1.6km) iirc. We easily get into the 1000's of feet which is lots more than enough. We've never conducted a 'you sit here and chatter and I'll drive away to see how far til I loose you test, but we frequently get out of line of site and still have communication.

For use, it was a useful tool on our 1832's.

Bike integration on the 1833's has made it that much better.

(no I don't use an apple, so don't put up with the continuous carplay issues so often posted about)

I think the 'Packtalk Bold' system is going to make it even better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts