GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. Did some searching but wasn’t really able to find what I was looking for. Does anyone know if you can convert a 5 din setup to Bluetooth on an 01-05 model . I was given two SMH5-UNIV headsets and was trying to figure out if there was a way to integrate into my current setup on my 02. I read that the SENA FreeWire appears to work with later models but it doesn’t appear that it would work with mine. Is there any way I can integrate these headsets so I can use my phone, CB and radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok
I thought because my bike doesn't have a real "infotainment" system that you needed to have that in order for the freewire to work. You have to be able to tie into the honda system somehow by either adding some sort of bluetooth dongle to the aux, or something else? No?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Check out J&M. Although mine is not pre-2006, I think that is one of the better Bluetooth systems around. Not sure if their BT systmes are applicable that far back, but they will incorporate everything (re: stereo, CB, and intercom) through BT.

·
Vendor
218 Posts
Ok
I thought because my bike doesn't have a real "infotainment" system that you needed to have that in order for the freewire to work. You have to be able to tie into the honda system somehow by either adding some sort of bluetooth dongle to the aux, or something else? No?
The bluetooth dongle attaches via your headset connection, not the Aux connection on the motorcycle. All you will need to do is go with either SENA or J&M bluetooth equipment and you should be ready to go. If you would like, feel free to call us and we can discuss your options.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi folks. Did some searching but wasn’t really able to find what I was looking for. Does anyone know if you can convert a 5 din setup to Bluetooth on an 01-05 model . I was given two SMH5-UNIV headsets and was trying to figure out if there was a way to integrate into my current setup on my 02. I read that the SENA FreeWire appears to work with later models but it doesn’t appear that it would work with mine. Is there any way I can integrate these headsets so I can use my phone, CB and radio?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have the Freewire and 20S used with my 2005. I have a TOMTOM GPS on the bike and the TOMTOM is bluetoothed to my helmet Sena 20S. My phone is bluetoothed to my TOMTOM. My Freewire is bluetoothed to my Helmet. Everything works as it should. But, there is a sequence I have to use when I get on the bike.

First put the helmet on and turn on the Sena 20S. Then turn the key on the bike. The 20S will make contact first with the TOMTOM and then in a few seconds with the Freewire. If I turn the bike on first before the Sena 20S it does not always make contact with the Freewire. Before I take off for the ride, I usually will make sure the phone is connected to the GPS.

The nice thing about the 20S is you can Bluetooth two items to it and also use the intercom function to talk to other riders with a Sena unit. However, using the Intercom function can be interrupted by distance between units. If I ride a passenger they have to be corded with their J&M helmet set up which is very very seldom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts