GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and looked at new bikes with a buddy of mine today who is considering a new one. Not saying I would consider the BMW over my Wing however I must say for $20,000 and change you get a lot of bike, every thing my 05 wing has plus ABS, electric windshield, CD player, heated seats & grips, this dealer included GPS, power outlet for heated clothes, electric power center stand, 50 mpg, built in vanity mirror and light in trunk, trunk luggage rack, wind wings, adjustable seat, trunk spoiler, fog lights and for $4oo per year you can add to the three year factory warrenty which includes tire replacement and rim damage.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
a good bike,
but do some research re scheduled maintenance over a couple of years.
The BMW is much higher, also compare tire mileage (not what the dealer tells you),
recent comparison between wing, bmw, & harley,
wing #1, bmw # 2, harley #3

also check on the number of dealers available to service the bike, they are few and far between

W

·
0 Posts
Yup, for a change of rides if I was in the market, I would have to take a closer look at the LT.
Only thing I don't like would be using premium gas.

GL1800's are great bikes but the BWM 1200LT would be a welcome change.

·
15 year Member
6,896 Posts
BLK04WNG said:
The BMW K1200 LT is one heck of a motorcycle.

It also has 8 speakers.
You should trade your "plastic" wing in for one, then join the K1200 LT board and dazzle them with your wit and wisdom!!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :yes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Went to Americade from Houston this summer with a friend who has a 2002 LT and both bikes perormed flawlessly, The Wing performed better on the Interstate portions of the trip and the LT performed better on the 2 laners, especially the twisties, The Wing I felt was a little more comfortable and did not tend to get blown around as much as the LT. However when it came to the sportbike type performance in curves there was no contest, the LT won out hands down.

Both had new tires at the start of the trip and by the time we finally got back to Houston (16 days later) the tires on the BMW were in better shape than on the Wing.

7258 Miles

Wing with E3's
BMW1200LT with Metzlers

Both ridden by each of us at least 600 miles in varying conditions and road types. As far as maint goes we both do our own work on the bikes other than electronics (ECM type stuff).

Just depends on what you want the bike to be.
Both are capable machines and should be given serious consideration

One plus on the Wings side is that it has more useable onboard storage.

Plus for the LT is Electric Center Stand and Windshield, also I understand that the dealers are offering a FREE GPS with the purchase

G

·
0 Posts
Matt(Ashland said:
BLK04WNG said:
The BMW K1200 LT is one heck of a motorcycle.

It also has 8 speakers.
You should trade your "plastic" wing in for one, then join the K1200 LT board and dazzle them with your wit and wisdom!!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :yes:
The Beemer has plenty of plastic as well, but the fit and finish is second to none.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
That's nice. One of our guys at work just purchased a new K 1200 GT, and that thing is sweeeeeeet !!! 152 Bhp, it runs like a rabbit.

He does lots of cross country rides etc, but, I still would not trade it for my Wing.

And, even tho I like harleys, I feel the owners should talk to Vanna and buy some Vowels. LOL !!!

So much of this FLTCHT, FLCHTC, FTRACH, SHTROC, MOUSE......

How do they know what each other is talking bout ? :wink:

·
Registered
71 Posts
one of my favorite features of the BMW & HD is the ability to take off the top box for local solo riding.

good lookin' & less top heavy . . .

8)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Service prices

Hi
It is a great bike, but before you buy it ask for the price on the diffrent services, like 10000 miles 20000 miles 30000 miles. They are sky high compare to a Gold Wing.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
BLK04WNG said:
This is the best looking Touring Bike....
Oh my gosh!!!!! I would have never though you would post that!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Just funning Blk04 :wink:

The Harley is a work of art, not the best, just good looking.....

This will please you though, the wife and I are looking at trading in the UC for a 07 Blue Wing and triking it...hows that for the old switch-a-roo ?????

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,537 Posts
BLK04WNG said:
Maybe for you it is....to me it looks like a old geezers bike with outdated styling and a slow underpowered air cooled engine....but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think they make arguably the best sport-tourer. I think the Harley's are the best looking but the best of them all finds me here on this board. :D

Scott

G

·
0 Posts
KYBLUE said:
BLK04WNG said:
Oh my gosh!!!!! I would have never though you would post that!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Just funning Blk04 :wink:

The Harley is a work of art, not the best, just good looking.....

This will please you though, the wife and I are looking at trading in the UC for a 07 Blue Wing and triking it...hows that for the old switch-a-roo ?????
You probably wont believe it, but I am thinking about switching from the Wing to the Ultra Classic !

·
Registered
19,227 Posts
thekid said:
a good bike,
but do some research re scheduled maintenance over a couple of years.
The BMW is much higher, also compare tire mileage (not what the dealer tells you),
recent comparison between wing, bmw, & harley,
wing #1, bmw # 2, harley #3

also check on the number of dealers available to service the bike, they are few and far between
I would be riding the BMW if the relaiablity and maintainence cost were the same as Honda.

·
Registered
19,227 Posts
Roadie said:
BLK04WNG said:
Maybe for you it is....to me it looks like a old geezers bike with outdated styling and a slow underpowered air cooled engine....but that's just my opinion.
Different strokes for different folks. I would like to have all three,but my ranking is
1-Goldwing
2_BMW
3_Harley

I do think one advantage the Ultra has is traditional motorcycle design , easier to work on(air filter, adding electronics) but feel it is still a dated design.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts