GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how the new bmw k1600gtl compares with the 2012 goldwing. I have read the bmw is lighter with more horsepower and an electrically adjustable windshield and adaptive headlights.

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Just wondering how the new bmw k1600gtl compares with the 2012 goldwing. I have read the bmw is lighter with more horsepower and an electrically adjustable windshield and adaptive headlights.
That has been beat to death on here. Search and you will have plenty of reading.

Here I did some for you:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292510&highlight=k1600
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290816&highlight=k1600
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291449&highlight=k1600
Good Luck!

·
Registered
350 Posts
You are right; it is lighter, but not by much. It does have more horsepower, but not more torque. And it does have an electric adjustable windshield, which we all know the Wing does not. BUT, IMHumbleO, it doesn't have the comfort or the room for the passenger, and doesn't have the overall protection for the rider and passenger that the Wing has. I can't say as to handling vs the Wing because I haven't ridden the BMW yet (closest dealer is in Baton Rouge and they don't have one). I have ridden the 2012 Wing and to be honest with you after riding my Victory I did not feel comfortable on the Wing. It felt a lot different from what I remember of the 2008 Wing I had. BUT the only way YOU can make a good comparison is if YOU ride both bikes !!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Pick up a copy of the most recent Motorcycle Consumer News. They did a full comparison. The Goldwing won in most categories and overall.

As they say in the article, BMW didn't really make the K1600gtl to compete with the Wing.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The K1600 doesn't compare to the GW. It is comparable to the ST1300.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Pick up a copy of the most recent Motorcycle Consumer News. They did a full comparison. The Goldwing won in most categories and overall.

As they say in the article, BMW didn't really make the K1600gtl to compete with the Wing.
You may need to check out what the Cycle World comparison test had to say. They actually gave better marks to the BMW. It all depends on what type of riding you like to do. The only way to really grade the bikes, is to ride them for yourself. I don't like other people telling me which is the best anyway.

·
Registered
392 Posts
You may need to check out what the Cycle World comparison test had to say. They actually gave better marks to the BMW. It all depends on what type of riding you like to do. The only way to really grade the bikes, is to ride them for yourself. I don't like other people telling me which is the best anyway.

I'll have to check the ads in Cycle World to see if BMW bought a full-page glossy that month. MCN is the only magazine that comes to the house now.

I agree with your premise though about making up your own mind. For me, the most important thing on my touring bike is passenger comfort. It keeps the noise in the headset down. I'm pretty sure even Cycle World agreed that the Goldwing won in this category.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Motorcyclist magazine is comparing the Wing and the BMW in this months issue.....available right now at your local newsstand.

·
Registered
8,622 Posts

OMG!!!

later..Randy

·
Registered
197 Posts

BMW?? never heard of it! new motorcycle company?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts