GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Local Florida BMW dealer confirmed a stop shipment stop sales.

I was told not a stop riding for owners.

They expect to take some time to inspection and determine what VIN range is in question. Or date range.

No TBD schedule per my call on wife's 2018 K1600b BWM.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
No formal recall yet....just a stop sell directive from BMW for dealers. No stop ride directive either....just an internet rumor. It looks like a sub-standard shift fork or part of the shift fork assembly may be of concern.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
No formal recall yet....just a stop sell directive from BMW for dealers. No stop ride directive either....just an internet rumor. It looks like a sub-standard shift fork or part of the shift fork assembly may be of concern.
I wouldn't sugar-coat it either......
BMW wouldn't of put out a Stop-sell directive if it wasn't something pretty serious and affects 3-model years of bikes.
Hopefully BMW steps up and gets it taken care promptly.

A lot of issues over the years BMW has ignored.......so this is more than likely safety related.
That said, my '14 K1600 was flawless....

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Nope, not a rumor , you better check with the people in the K1600 forum, they know.

https://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-general-discussions/191552-transmission-recall.html

Actually, only one guy (whom I know personally) posted that one dealer told him there was a stop ride order. I called my dealer who doesn't even have a formal recall by BMW or the NHTSA. My wife works for the overhead company that owns the dealership where the individual was told there was a stop ride order. It is a huge comglomerate with lots of minimum wage employees who probably got the wrong information. The copy of the stop sell order was posted and it does not indicate any such thing as a stop ride. If the problem was so severe that it required people to stop riding, I'm confident the NHTSA would have issued some type of emergency recall. Once I see some official paper from BMW or NHTSA with a stop ride order, I will believe it. Until then it is an internet rumor posted by one guy who probably got some bad info from a dealer. I am on the BMW forum, so I have read the thread with the "recall" that is not even an official recall yet.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Actually, only one guy (whom I know personally) posted that one dealer told him there was a stop ride order. I called my dealer who doesn't even have a formal recall by BMW or the NHTSA. My wife works for the overhead company that owns the dealership where the individual was told there was a stop ride order. It is a huge comglomerate with lots of minimum wage employees who probably got the wrong information. The copy of the stop sell order was posted and it does not indicate any such thing as a stop ride. If the problem was so severe that it required people to stop riding, I'm confident the NHTSA would have issued some type of emergency recall. Once I see some official paper from BMW or NHTSA with a stop ride order, I will believe it. Until then it is an internet rumor posted by one guy who probably got some bad info from a dealer. I am on the BMW forum, so I have read the thread with the "recall" that is not even an official recall yet.
Yep. Stop sales, recall, and stop ride are three entirely different things. BMW is in my opinion one of the most transparent manufacturers as far as openly letting "the world" know they are taking internal actions regarding their products. Manufacturers usually "stop sales" when they discover a quality issue that can range from bad paint, realizing that certain components left the factory without proper quality control check, realizing a batch of bad parts were used, or realizing a production run had parts that were assembled improperly. To me it indicates they realized something is/was wrong and are are taking proper steps determined to not let those products be sold.

Recalls indicate a known wide spread problem has developed or exists that has already been passed on to consumers and needs to be corrected.

Stop ride orders indicate imminent danger to product users and also involve a recall.

My larger point is it's not uncommon for manufacturers stop sales of products in their distribution cycle/channels all the time and we never hear or know about it.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I agree with BMW acting appropriately, I've seen it but not had to deal with it, a stop sell and I tip my hat to BMW for acting accordingly.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I found it copied below......

1 Recalls
for 2018 BMW K 1600 GTL
FILTER RECALLS BY AFFECTED COMPONENTS

All (1)POWER TRAIN (1)
October 1, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V692000
Transmission may Cause Rear Wheel to Lock up
Double gear engagement or transmission damage can cause the rear wheel to lock up, affecting the vehicle stability and increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V692000

Manufacturer BMW of North America, LLC

Components POWER TRAIN

Potential Number of Units Affected 4,672

Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2017-2020 K 1600 GT and 2018-2020 K 1600 GTL and K 1600 B motorcycles. Certain transmission parts may not have been produced to the appropriate hardness level. This could affect the function of the transmission, possibly causing double engagement of two gears and/or the damage of transmission parts.

Remedy

BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the shift forks, the selector sleeve of 5th/6th gear and the gear wheel of 6th gear, free of charge. Interim letters notifying owners of the safety risk will be mailed November 8, 2019. A second letter will be sent once the remedy is available. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417.

Notes

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yep, looks like they're having some rear wheel lock-up's...
but kudos to Beemer for their handling of the matter, "three strikes and you're out"!
Appears they issued the voluntary safety recall 2 days after the third incident :thumbup:

Y'all ride safe out there!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In reality we don't know how many other accidents actually happened, the three accidents were reported to BMW as the rider (and bike) survived to tell the story. Unfortunately when the rider don't survive and/or the bike is destroyed , is much harder to reconstruct the responsibilities and causes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts