GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I buy a used motorcycle I like to thoroughly check it out from one end to the other. I found the pictured damage that was caused by a bolt that held a Rivco Trailer Hitch. The bolt that was used was to long and ground the pictured groove into the aluminum. I don't think the damage will cause an issue, but thought I would throw it out to Y'all on the board for your opinions as I'm sure some of you know the thickness of the aluminum at this location and any possible failures it may cause. Not interested in starting a "bash session" on the prior owner please.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Musical instrument Jaw
Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Tints and shades Tread
Photograph Wood Grey Line Wall
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

Reactions: david vaughn

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,681 Posts
I have a spare swingarm sitting in my shed..point is they are easy to get if a stress crack forms in that gorged aluminium.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a spare swingarm sitting in my shed..point is they are easy to get if a stress crack forms in that gouged aluminium.
Thanks. I'm going to clean that area real well and keep a close eye on it.

Reactions: david vaughn

·
Vendor
19,607 Posts
Not interested in starting a "bash session" on the prior owner please.
If you need a swing arm, I too have one you can have.

As for the damage ... most anyone can be an installer. Unfortunately, probably less then 5% of those installers have the ability to think through what they just installed, or the possible ramifications of what they just installed. Everytime I think I'm a plumber, and electrician, or a carpenter, the same happens to me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Clean it up good (remove all oil and grease) and fill it with JB weld, it will help prevent it from cracking.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought about the JB Weld idea, I actually watched some comparisons of different types of Metal Appoxies. Was curious if anyone was thinking the same thing.

As for "Wonky Feeling"; I bet it was especially when it first started. I brought it back on trailer so didn't experience it.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
IronMan
18,480 Posts
SWINGARM PIA TO DO . FINAL DRIVE EASY JOB . SWINGARMS HARDLY EVER GO BAD .

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
How deep is that actual scrap??? Is it actually in the metal OR just a surface scrap??? hard to tell in the pictures

Ronnie

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How deep is that actual scrap??? Is it actually in the metal OR just a surface scrap??? hard to tell in the pictures

Ronnie
Didn't actually measure it but is is definately into the aluminum. When I clean it up I'll try to get a better idea of depth. If you zoom on a couple of the pics you can definately see it, I would say about 1/8 of an inch was ground away at the deepest point give or take a little.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I would definitely replace the swing arm, it is a stressed member and a failure at freeway speed would be catastrophic.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
4,760 Posts
Would JB weld bond to the aluminum? Or would it adhere only, and would that merely hide developing stress cracks? I'm just asking. I'd be more inclined to go with @rayjoe's suggestion of welding if it could be done on the bike. If it had to come off the bike, you might as well just replace it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had the same situation - the bolt was too long and it really dug into the aluminum (deeper than yours). I didn't realize this until the final drive failed and I was in the process of replacing it.
As others recommended above, maybe this is a good time for you to replace your final drive. I would not take a chance to patching it or continue using it as-is.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
clean up and smooth out and keep a constant watch over, or clean up and get welded up and smoothed out. But if it needs to come off to be welded.... replace it. I even have a spare swing arm from a trike pull-off. Ended up with it because my final started grinding. I was suspecting it was the source, so I got a sample and found a really nice looking brown metal flake "paint" in the drain bowl.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
I’m going to check my hitch, thanks for posting

·
Registered
850 Posts
Judge, I see you are from Fernandina Beach, take a leisure ride to Greg's shop in ZHills and let him install the offered freebie. Good man, he will treat you right and no more worries.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts