GL1800Riders Forums banner

Board's input on issue I found

2K views 24 replies 21 participants last post by  judgedredd331 
#1 ·
When I buy a used motorcycle I like to thoroughly check it out from one end to the other. I found the pictured damage that was caused by a bolt that held a Rivco Trailer Hitch. The bolt that was used was to long and ground the pictured groove into the aluminum. I don't think the damage will cause an issue, but thought I would throw it out to Y'all on the board for your opinions as I'm sure some of you know the thickness of the aluminum at this location and any possible failures it may cause. Not interested in starting a "bash session" on the prior owner please.

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Musical instrument Jaw
Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Tints and shades Tread
Photograph Wood Grey Line Wall
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Wood

See less See more
Reactions: david vaughn
#4 ·
I have a spare swingarm sitting in my shed..point is they are easy to get if a stress crack forms in that gouged aluminium.
Thanks. I'm going to clean that area real well and keep a close eye on it.

Reactions: david vaughn
#5 · (Edited)
Not interested in starting a "bash session" on the prior owner please.
If you need a swing arm, I too have one you can have.

As for the damage ... most anyone can be an installer. Unfortunately, probably less then 5% of those installers have the ability to think through what they just installed, or the possible ramifications of what they just installed. Everytime I think I'm a plumber, and electrician, or a carpenter, the same happens to me.

#7 ·
Clean it up good (remove all oil and grease) and fill it with JB weld, it will help prevent it from cracking.

#9 ·
I thought about the JB Weld idea, I actually watched some comparisons of different types of Metal Appoxies. Was curious if anyone was thinking the same thing.

As for "Wonky Feeling"; I bet it was especially when it first started. I brought it back on trailer so didn't experience it.

Reactions: GLblinded
#10 ·
SWINGARM PIA TO DO . FINAL DRIVE EASY JOB . SWINGARMS HARDLY EVER GO BAD .

#11 ·
How deep is that actual scrap??? Is it actually in the metal OR just a surface scrap??? hard to tell in the pictures

Ronnie

#12 ·
Didn't actually measure it but is is definately into the aluminum. When I clean it up I'll try to get a better idea of depth. If you zoom on a couple of the pics you can definately see it, I would say about 1/8 of an inch was ground away at the deepest point give or take a little.

#16 ·
Would JB weld bond to the aluminum? Or would it adhere only, and would that merely hide developing stress cracks? I'm just asking. I'd be more inclined to go with @rayjoe's suggestion of welding if it could be done on the bike. If it had to come off the bike, you might as well just replace it.

#17 ·
I had the same situation - the bolt was too long and it really dug into the aluminum (deeper than yours). I didn't realize this until the final drive failed and I was in the process of replacing it.
As others recommended above, maybe this is a good time for you to replace your final drive. I would not take a chance to patching it or continue using it as-is.

#18 ·
clean up and smooth out and keep a constant watch over, or clean up and get welded up and smoothed out. But if it needs to come off to be welded.... replace it. I even have a spare swing arm from a trike pull-off. Ended up with it because my final started grinding. I was suspecting it was the source, so I got a sample and found a really nice looking brown metal flake "paint" in the drain bowl.

#22 ·
My opinion (I know what people say about opinions), find a shorter bolt that can still reach through a jam nut on the other side. Get rid of the jam nut that's on there now and use an actual "jam nut" that is thinner than a standard nut. Use GRADE 8 hardware and replace the bolt while using RED Loctite and torque to spec. Use RED Loctite on the JAM nut too and torque. Smooth out the gouge in the swing arm with a DREMEL sanding wheel and check for cracks. Don't paint it as that will make future inspections for cracks difficult to see. The metal on that swing arm is quite thick and I don't see ANY need to replace it since the gouge doesn't appear to be any deeper than a couple of millimeters. Ride on.....

#25 · (Edited)
Just a final update on this in case anyone reads this or has this issue in the future. I cleaned the groove again yesterday and inspected the area closely, I found nothing new and no cracks. So I ended up using a Dremel to just grind the lip off around the edges and filled it with J.B. Weld. It isn't real pretty but it cant be seen without removing the right muffler so I'm done with it. PO put unknown amount of miles with it this way before I found it and changed bolts, and I've put about 1600 miles on it like it was so I don't believe there will be any issues with this.

Fluid Grey Geological phenomenon Water Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.