GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to do a 10 min job today but it started off bad. I purchased a set of exhaust turn downs, when I tried to take the bolts off I snapped off the first one and all the other ones are froze on. Question is, how do I get
The snapped one out & the frozen ones off. Thanks Gary

·
Registered
125 Posts
Gary your going to have to do some drilling and use a screw extrator. It's not a fun job, but if you go slow, you'll get it out of the hole. As for the other stuck ones, soaking them with liquid wrench works sometimes. If not, heat usually breaks them lose. A small propane torch will do.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
You may find it easier to take the mufflers off to work on the fixing the broken bolt than trying to fix the bolt while laying on your back on the ground and drilling and tapping the mounting bracket. Remove a couple of bolts and looses the clamps and the mufflers come right off.

·
Registered
143 Posts
frozen bolts

Try to find a product called mouse milk, trust me that's the real name. Beat penatrating oil I ever found. We used it to disassemble jet engines where I worked. Tom

·
Registered
758 Posts
Bolt broke off

I just took the stock extentions off and the screws were extreemly tight. All six broke loose and turned about a half turn and seized. I sprayed them with "PB Blaster" and turned them in and out the quarter turn and let them set an hour or two. Went back and run them in and then out and in with more "PB Blaster" and they came out relitively easy after soaking for a while. PB Blaster is available from Pep Boys or most repitable automotive supply stores.
If your broken off screw is one of the inside upper screws you will probibly be best to remove that muffler to remove the broken screw.
I run a tap in all the holes and a die over all the screw and then used anti seize on screws when reinstalling.

Farmer Jack

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the ideas. if any one has any more let me know I will try to do something this weekend.
Thanks Gary

·
Registered
756 Posts
Not exactly correct but drill them out and install stainless sheet metal self tapping screws.

2,732 Posts
I had the same problem

I had the same problem. Tried to get them out with an extractor which I also broke off in the bolt hole I drilled. Ended up taking them to a machine shop that took them out, had them rethread the hole for a larger chrome bolt I bought at the hardware store (Ace is the place!). Cost was around $40.00 (I know, I know, I paid too much) for them to do it, but I do like the turndowns and it was worth all the trouble in the end. The turndowns are really nice looking.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I broke one - got the other 2 out ok - I only used the 2 that didn't break - left the 3rd one off - so far so good after 14,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
i sprayed mine

I sprayed mine with wd40 and let it set a few hours, bolts were crusty/rusty but they screwed right out. :)

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
CJS is right about working on the bench.

Once you get the mufflers on the bench and soaked with liquid wrench, use an impact screw driver before you mess up the heads of the other fasteners.

If you don't have an impact screw driver that you hit with a mallet, get one. You may only need it every two years or so, but when you need it, it can save you from a lot of easy out work.

If necessary, run the bolts out a bit with the impact, and then back in with the impact but not tight, then out a little more and back in a few tiimes.

On the one that is twisted off, drilling it in the center will not be easy.

If you can get a 3/8 square socket that fifts the impact drive and has a star bit that can be driven into the hole prepared for the easy out, try to run the screw in a portion of a turn and then and easy out to back it out a portion of a turn and back with the star bit to run it in, etc, etc.

Ditto on the anti-sieze for reassembly.

You have a toughy on your hands. Patience and working back and forth with lots of liquid wrench, or Panther Pee, or Moose Milk, or?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info. I put the turns downs on today tryed some of the things you guys said but did not have very good luck. I broke off two of the six bolts one on each side. I put them on with two each hope they will stay on till I get more time to do it right.
Thanks again Gary

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Re: frozen bolts

tom smith said:
Try to find a product called mouse milk, trust me that's the real name. Beat penatrating oil I ever found. We used it to disassemble jet engines where I worked. Tom
HIJACK ALERT: Apologies extended, couldn't resist. And I thought I had a bad job. But their employees "the milkers" really got it bad!! Do they have to wear latex gloves while milking? Do they catch the milk in thimbles?? Which is best, whole, 2%, or skim??? Is it homogenized????? Where the hell do they ever find stools short enough to ______????? :p :twisted:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts